Just installed a Bigsby on my Epi Dot Deluxe!

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Burstbucker, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I installed a Bigsby B70 on my Epiphone Dot Deluxe last week and I didn't like the leftover holes where the tailpiece used to be, so here's what I came up with.

Looks great IMHO and total cost is under a buck!

I went to Home Depot a couple of days ago found some black rounded plastic caps in this section of the hardware store.

These little black plastic caps kind of have a bottle cap shape, at first I was going to try to glue these things right over the metal tailpiece bushings but they weren't quite large enough but it was sooooooo close.

Then I got the bright idea to fit these plastic caps right over the old threaded mounting studs for the tailpiece. Fit perfectly!

So what I did was cut off the tops of these threaded mounting studs and all that remained was the threaded part and the round flange where the threads stop.

I then mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and slopped some into the inside of these little plastic caps, then I pushed the flange end of the mounting studs into them and let it set for a while.

What I ended up with a really slick looking bolt with plastic cap on the end. They look store bought. When I screwed these into place I knew that I had a winner, much better then leaving the unused bushings messing up the look or putting on a lamacoid plate saying "Custom Made".

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Cool! I did something similar with mine, just picked up some metal plugs at the hardware store!

I just pulled the stop tailpiece studs out, tho. They come out a lot easier than you think.

[​IMG]

3. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Now that does look nice, good work!:thumb:

4. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Very nice. Now you need a roller bridge on that mutt! :naughty:

5. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

You know something? I've yet to have any problems with the tuning on my guitar with this Bigsby mounted there, I do go pretty easy on it though, more of a nice understated subtle thing, that's what I like.

6. captain tightpants

I don't have any tuning problems with mine either, still has the stock bridge.

That G-400, on the other hand, does have a roller bridge and the B-50 on it has since been moved back. Tuning issues galore with that thing, but it's good now even under Niel Young-level bar-wanking.

I love the color on your Dot, Burstbucker, very nice!

7. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Thanks captain tightpants,(love the username BTW :D)

Yeah, it was the top-of-the-line Epi Dot at that time I think(2002-2003) and it felt like a quality axe when I tried it out. It now has a Gibson '57 Classic in the neck position and a '57 Classic+ in the bridge position and now with this Bigsby, she's a lot of fun and sounds great too. I'd like to get a bone nut installed some day, then that should do it.

Looking at the photo of your guitar certainly makes one gas profusely! That's got to be a Gibson, judging by the shape of the pickguard? Tell us about it.

8. captain tightpants

Nope, not a Gibson, just a regular Epi Dot, a 2002. Kept it stock for quite a while, eventually swapped out to a 57 Classic in the neck an a Seth Lover in the bridge, and replaced the wiring with CTS pots and orange drop caps. Swapped out the black plastic for cream on a whim, decided I liked it that way.

The pickguard actually IS a Gibson USA Les Paul, but I hate it, it's really pink. Just been too lazy to find a better!

9. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Well, that is a sweet looking axe.:thumb:

These Epi Dots are just great once you upgrade them a little.

10. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Nice pics guys, and good job with the installs. Great now you got me wanting to put a Bigsby on my next Tele project :laugh2::naughty:

11. jwk0522

jwk0522 Senior Member

The guitar shop up the street has a Japanese tele with a Bigsby-style bridge. Its the first tele to really grab my attention in a long time. Its gorgeous.

12. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Did someone say "Tele with Bigsby"?

[​IMG]

Echo and Udonitron like this.