Just Hired A Guitar Teacher

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by frankv, Jul 29, 2013.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

So, after two years of hacking it out myself I have decided to hire a guitar teacher. I am growing tired of picking from this book, that DVD, this online lesson... While I have really made terrific progress this way (I record myself) I want more. (who doesn't).

I want a structured approach. This will be my third try at hiring a teacher. The first two failed horribly after one lesson.

So I met him today. We sat down for about 20 minutes and discussed my progress, what I knew, what I hoped the lessons would achieve and where I want to be with my playing at the end of one year. I told him I would commit to a year worth of lessons if things progressed as I believe they will.

He then asked me to play some stuff... Some chords, the pentatonic scale in all positions (I know them) a couple major scales... Stuff like that.. Then I got put on the spot big time. He fired up a backing track in E and told me to play to it... Talk about being nervous... After a few notes I fell right into the groove and hammered out a few well placed phrases. I even got a (your not a beginner) from the teacher... That made me happy cause I see myself as that.

He gave me homework for the week. He wants me to play to that same backing track all week. He said he "wants to hear ME" what I want to say with the guitar.. Not the scales...

I'm on my 25 pass with the track.. I'm starting to form a beginning, middle and ending. I got this... :dude:

19 people like this.
  2. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Good for you! :thumb:

I realized after about 2 seconds of trying to go it alone that for me it would be more conductive to study with a teacher. I'm blessed: he's a great player as well as a great teacher. Not all are both.

2 people like this.
  3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Sounds as if you have found the right guy, sometimes a little motivation goes farther
    than being taught new stuff. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. frankv

Yes indeed. I friggin hate learning from Tab and Books. So lonely at best. Playing and jamming with my Guitar Teacher is so much better.. I think I'm gonna love this experience.

This past week we did a Jam Track where he would play a bar or two then pass it off to me for a bar or two.. We went back and forth and I just loved the experience. Of course he was so good and I was so... well how should I say? so so... I don't want to say I suck anymore.. Cause I don't

2 people like this.
  5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Excellent.
    A good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

And the criteria is whether you get along with them or not, not how good a guitarist they are.

3 people like this.
  6. Rhinetom

Rhinetom Junior Member

I wish you luck. I myself, after 2 months of instruction, am contemplating teaching myself using books and the web.

2 people like this.
  7. frankv

I'm interested to know your experiences with your instructor. Care to share the methods and process used? Why you didn't want to continue. Stuff like that? How many lessons did you have in 2 months?

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

8. frankv

Hey hatter.. This is so true. It's why my first two experiences at lessons failed.

I prepaid for 10 lessons. I'll see how it goes. I like my teacher. He listens to me.

I feel I'm being pushed into doing things outside my comfort zone. My last week assignment was to come up a with a jam to a C am em D chord progression.

I am coming to realize just how hard it is coming up with a melody that's not just riffing phrases in the pentatonic framework. I'm trying to think of a lead in the style of a Gilmour. It's a slow jam track and playing to it seems easy on the surface. But what I'm trying to structure is a passage that takes the listener somewhere.

I don't want to become a (riff o matic) in my playing. It's exceedingly hard to do for me. I know in my head what I would like to hear but I don't have the techniques to pull it off.

There is a level of frustration that is setting in cause I have to perform this jam for him tomorrow. I know I'm putting unnecessary stress into the experience but that's my makeup.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

1 person likes this.
  9. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

Good for you, man.....I bumped into a guy awhile back that I knew from the band scene here years ago....he just started giving lessons, and I think I'm going to take some. I can play a lot of things I've learned over the years, but it feels fragmented to me.....I can play metal riffs and some blues leads, but I can't play them in all positions, and I can't extend them when I want to. I always feel like I'm almost there, and I just need a tiny bit of instruction to get it.

I'm talking to him about it, and he told me the first lesson is always free, and is more to evaluate where I'm at than anything else....see what happens.

Hope this works out for you and that you get everything you want out of it. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  10. wizard1183

wizard1183 Premium Member

You know? I had a teacher for about 2 months. He was a great guitar player. Teacher? Ehh. He was teaching me about CAGED theory ect. We'd go to class and then hed say what would you like to learn to play? Im like Stranglehold by Nugent. He'd play it on cd, stop, play it out then get me to do it. But I told him, Im left handed playing right handed. So my picking hand is a little problematic. well, it started getting good and faster. Then out of the blue I show up to class and he's a no-show. I called him 5x, left messages and the prick never returned my call. I paid him in advance for month of classes. 8 months later I get a text "Merry Xmas!" it was him, I ginored him. Since then, I've not gotten better but worse because so much has come between me and my [playing. From workin out, and being on the road working, to a girldfriedn now a baby. During this time, I began acoustic playing more often than anything. Along with working out heavily whichI feel tightened my picking hand, its like I rarely get to pick up a guitar. My son is 9 months, but hopefully he'll pick it up and we can play together. I still play from time to time, but I cant practice enough to get where I was. 2 yrs into playing, I was writing my own music and was doing quite well having no one really teaching me. Now its 10 yrs later and I feel very stagnant. I have a '74 white and an '02 les paul customs, and an '08 R9, Taylor acoustic, Epi SG, '87 JCM 800 100wt, hand built '68 marshall 4 x 12 cab replica with Scumbacks just sitting there. I have 100s of guitar magazines, umpteen books to learn, dvds. I SHOULD be a whole lot better than I am. I have written a few pieces and transcribed them to piano.

1 person likes this.
  11. frankv

Thanks so much for your well wishes. I'm gonna give this my absolute best attention for the next 9 lessons. Then at that point I will evaluate what has transpired in my playing ability. I think I will pretty much find this out much sooner then 9 lessons... After teaching myself for the last 2 years I want to now do the teacher route for the next year. I feel proficent enough now to get more for my money then having a teacher say "this is how you play a D chord"

There hasn't been a day off for my playing in 2 years. I have been deligent in my studies. Did the ground work. Can pretty much pick up stuff relatively quickly now.

The transistion thats hard for me is improvising on my own. Not playing other artists stuff. Making a melody out of a lead is a different ballgame as I am finding out first hand.. The first lesson I was thrown to the wolves so to speak. Sort of like jump in and swim. Most likely my own fault as most of my playing has been just me.. Now I'm playing with someone and it's a new experience.

I have to learn how to manage the stress that I am feeling. Otherwise this FUN experience will become a chore... I can't have that. At the same time I realize any teacher worth his weight will push you. Looking at this from the outside I do need that.

I'm gonna use this thread as my blog. Mostly for those that have thought about taking lessons but just have not done it. I might even post some files of me playing... Talk about stress.. :slash:

Any and all advice from you guys.. words of encouragement... tips... is greatly appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  12. frankv

Sorry to hear about that bad experience. I have had 2 of those but not in the way you have. I just couldn't connect to the teachers.

I stopped buying books when I realized that I don't open half of them. I have 20 of more Guitar Techniques mags just piled up, never opened. The insanity had to stop.

I drilled the pentatonic scale into my head for over a year. I really can call on any position now and it's not a struggle anymore. I could never be happy playing in one box all the time. Even though there is nothing wrong with that.

I have been working on the major scale in all 7 positions. I know them but calling the different positions at will is gonna take some time. I can see that. It's very easy to get lost on the fretboard. I have come to realize that playing by ear is better then playing by position. Althought both methods are necessary together.

My chord work sucks. I mean I can play chords but it's different voicings and partial chords that I don't have a handle on completely. The CAGED system has certainly aided me in that study.

Tonight I will be playing the backing track assigned to me over and over as I work out the beginning middle and ending. It's a long track. Like 5 minutes long, that doesn't help. I have to "play it" for my teacher at tomorrows lesson.. Good grief.. Now I surely know what it must be like to be a rock star in front of 20,000 fans. Of course it helps when you have been playing for 20 years instead of 2. Maybe in a few years god willing, I will look back at this thread and laugh..

13. landonblevins1995

landonblevins1995 Senior Member

Right on man, I've been considering taking up lessons for a year or two now, I taught myself to play and I've been at it for around 5-6 years now. I feel like I haven't improved in a year or two of playing. If I find the time in the near future I may just take lessons.

The best of luck to you

1 person likes this.
  14. frankv

Thanks for the post. I'm headed into uncharted territory. It's gonna be a interesting journey.

15. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

That is normal for humans. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  16. frankv

You experienced guys.. Help me here... What exactly does a good guitar teacher do. I mean how does he construct lessons for you when you have some experience. I mean, it's not like a kid that is just picking it up. I can see where he might go in that case.. But what happens when someone like me gets lessons with a teacher. What is the process that a teacher follows in creating "instruction" there must be one.. No?

17. wizard1183

wizard1183 Premium Member

Well good luck on that backing track bro. Im 35 yrs old, so hopefully I can get back into the swing of things and start playing with the intensity I used to have.

1 person likes this.
  18. frankv

I wish I was 35 again. My son is your age... :)

1 person likes this.
  19. frankv

Alright, I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna post this for your listening pleasure.. if you could call it that..

It's my first assignment for tomorrow. It's a LONG LONG LLLLOOONNNGGG backing track. I would like for you to tell me if i am on the right track. My guitar is back in the mix but you can hear me.. including my bad notes...

Anyway here goes nothing.

130731 0095 by Frank_v on SoundCloud - Hear the world

1 person likes this.
  20. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

So I listened.....and I dug it. This could have easily been something I came up with (meaning this is the kind of stuff I like to jam on, not that it would be easy for me to do), but you're better. I dug the improv, and I think it filled the backing track nicely, man. I think you're on the right track...keep going on it, or stop and call it done. Only thing I'd do is push your notes up higher in the mix so it's easier to hear.

To me, an experienced teacher would listen to me....meaning I could take him in two YT vids of guys playing different things, e.g. blues on one hand and metal leads on the other, and tell him "I want to be able to improvise in both of these styles" and have him come up with a program to fit ME.....I'm in the same boat as you....I've been playing off and on for 10 years, I know what a D chord is....I'm not going to pay some guy $100 to tell me to go home and practice it for a week.

Dude, above all, you CANNOT let this stress you out. If it turns out to not be fun, you're gonna quit, hate it, resent yourself or him or your guitar.

First of all, you're paying this guy to help you get better on guitar...he already KNOWS that you don't feel on top of your game, and that's why you've come to him, to improve.....don't feel like you have to bust your balls to impress him; you have plenty of time for that. Going outside your comfort zone is one thing, and that's how you're going to learn the things you want to...but don't let it stress you out.

#2....the improv thing......I'm completely the opposite. I know for a fact if I bust out a lead to a Pantera song to a Pantera fan, I'm gonna screw it up and that makes me nervous.....Pantera fans are a picky breed when it comes to Dime's leads.....I know, because I'm one of them. For improv, it's different. Read the following carefully: YOU'RE THE ONE MAKING IT UP. It's your tune.....you're not screwing anything up, you're inventing something new. You might not think it's perfect, but no one has to know that. No one will, as long as you don't tell them. It's a process, and every time you do it you're going to get better. I posted one of mine here last weekend, and everybody was pretty supportive.....I've since improved it, but check it out anyway....this is completely MINE, and I invented it. Got a certain sense of pride out of it.....could anybody here play this? Probably.....could I have done it 6 weeks ago? No. But I can now, and that's the important thing to me. It's a journey man; just you and your emotions and what you can take from them and say with your guitar.
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/loudest[/SC]

4 people like this.