Just got a Custom with Richlite???

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by jeremyspencer, Apr 5, 2012.

1. jeremyspencer

jeremyspencer Senior Member

I just bought a brand new Les Paul Custom with I thought an Ebony board and after I got it home it just didnt look right . I was just a tad curious about the fretboard because of all I have been reading. I called the dealer, who called Gibson and they said the board was Richlite. What the heck is that??

2. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with Richlite on a $500 MIM Martin acoustic, but on a Les Paul Custom it just seems so so inappropriate.

9 people like this.
  3. Malchik

Malchik Senior Member

There is no ebony - so what do you propose? Most people are having aneurisms because they are putting maple on it.

1 person likes this.
  4. ed1996

ed1996 Senior Member

Doesn't Richlite cost more to produce than ebony?

3 people like this.
  5. WinterOrb

WinterOrb Senior Member

The guitar is total trash. Please send it to me for disposal.

It costs nothing to produce ebony. It grows on trees.

8 people like this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yeah, here's some branches fresh from the tree. They even grow with the fret-slots exactly where they need to be for good intonation. How 'bout that?

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Also, from another thread on this topic:

The price difference between Richlite and ebony would appear to be less than 1% of the cost of the guitar.

2 people like this.
  8. Lysol

Lysol Senior Member

Richlite looks great, sounds great, will last a lifetime and that is all that matters.

6 people like this.
  9. formula73

formula73 Senior Member

I wouldn't be scared of it, though I wish they'd drop the price a bit.

Whatever...maybe in a couple years when they start back up with the ebony, these will be within reach for my broke ass on the used market!

1 person likes this.
  10. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I wouldn't be so sure?:hmm:

If that does happen, then Richlite-equipped Custom will somehow become "rare gems" (or, at least that's what dealers will say), thus driving up prices.:thumb:

11. Thumpalumpacus

I played a Martin 12-string a few weeks back that had a Richlite board, and it was outstanding. When you consider that any tonal issues would be much more problematic on an acoustic guitar, the fact that it sounds good in that context makes me think it'll be fine for these Gibsons. I do wish that they'd give it a new model name or identifier, rather than just call it a Custom.

Here's the Martin I played. It was a fine instrument, and had a great tone, one of the nicest 12-string tones I've heard, deep and throaty :

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. formula73

formula73 Senior Member

Oh no, I mean far enough down the road that they're all sold out and are just weird used guitars from Gibson's Dark Ages that are poo-pooed for not being vintage correct, not necessessarily 30 years down the road when something like a 1pc backed LPC with a fast, rock-solid 3pc maple neck sells for 3k nowdadays.

...know what I mean?:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  13. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Senior Member

Oh look, a member with hands on experience talking facts! Careful, Thump, or more members may try this. :naughty:

5 people like this.
  14. JB6464

JB6464 Senior Member

BS , there is plenty of Ebony available.
    Gibson is just reserving it for their Historic builds at this time and force feeding everyone else who buys the Gibson USA models to accept their other forms of material they choose to experiment with at this time.
    Until they fire the losers in their purchasing department who screwed up everything and got themselves in a legal dispute with the government , they are in a bind.
    So they figured out the historical correct buyers will want the Ebony and Rosewood on their Historic guitars and keep the price inflated for more profits for them and people will pay for it.
    Meanwhile on their Gibson USA guitars that also leaves the door open for other materials they can start using and make more profit again.
    It's a win-win situation for Gibson.

2 people like this.
  15. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

16. Lysol

Lysol Senior Member

Les Paul Customs are not made by USA, they are made by the custom shop.

17. Electric Funeral

I'm not positive this was/could be directed at me, but I used to work at a Martin dealer and remember when they started introducing Richlite as a FB material. Over a period of about a year comparing very similar models (same size, body/neck woods, bracing etc.) with Richlite and Ebony boards I found the ones with Richlite usually sounded thinner and more pronounced in the upper-mids. I also noticed after comparing various examples there seemed to be a lot less "depth" in the low end. Not necessarily a bad thing, some players may dig this. PERSONALLY, FROM EXPERIENCE I prefer the feel and tone of Ebony.

6 people like this.
  18. Electric Funeral

I would propose a fretboard made of actual wood.

2 people like this.
  19. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

Traditionalist could always find some used Customs with ebony, ABR-1 and all that sweet stuff.
    Forums like this caused many problems to newbies and others making cults and guitar churches. Beware whom you're gonna obey.
    Customs should have ebony fingerboards. At least for a reason we all used to listen about those famous guitars.
    Maybe ebony is not important for the sound, but hey, dozen of other parts are not, too. But still they form Gibson Les Paul.
    Or else someday they wish they would be as rare as LP Artist or Recording.
    The time will show.
    I am still gonna keep mine ABR/rosewood/mahogany combo.
    And if I am lucky enough I will grab some ebony, too.

1 person likes this.