just curious if anyone has owned this 1971 LP Deluxe Goldtop before

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by 72lespaul, Oct 14, 2017.

1. 72lespaul

72lespaul Junior Member

Am probably going to sell it and am trying to do some historical research. It was apparently sold to Rudy's in NYC in the early to mid-90's. Serial number is 966283. Bought by a Singaporean collector, where it sat in a case for some years, then I bought it.

thanks for any thoughts

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I was just about to say there’s no way with this amount of information and no pics but then I remembered the Norlin section is full of armchair Colombo-types. If anyone can find it, these guys can.

DarrellV likes this.
  3. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

[​IMG]

4. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

I think I can say with certainty that someone has owned it before.

Sorry had to say it ; ).

The guys here are good, but share some pics and details.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

My thought - it matters not who has owned it in the past. It matters about its condition now.

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Nope! Not seeing anything yet...

[​IMG]

7. 72lespaul

72lespaul Junior Member

Thanks guys - i meant all of you and yes, I wrote this to find Columbo :) If y'all had looked at the avatar, that is a picture of the guitar. Here are a few more. Any assistance greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

8. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

Bud, I will just tell you.....we are here to help and actually enjoy trying to figure out things like this, but we have to actually have something to go on, and you have really given nothing that is truly identifying about this guitar, even with these 3 pics but ESPECIALLY if you thought we were supposed to make a call based on your avatar.

Even Columbo needed SOME CLUES!

What makes you think this is a 1971 would be my first question???

9. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

should be easy to find. since Gibson only made three that year.

DarrellV likes this.
  10. 72lespaul

72lespaul Junior Member

it's a 71 - from pots and the serial number, and I checked with gibson. They made 3341 LPDGT that year. Serial number is 966283. I know what it is. All i am trying to figure out is if anyone in the forum is a former owner or remembers it from way back when. It was apparently sold to Rudy's in NYC in the early to mid-90's.

what kind of clues do you want?

thanks

11. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

The one pot I can make out in those terrible pics appears to be a replacement......

gibson records are highly inaccurate during that time period....and they seem to screw up a LOT even in the time period that they DO have decent records for.....

Your first post (before it was changed) did not have any of the info it has now...no serial number was listed, no pics at all (other than your avatar, which you did NOT say was the guitar in question...etc. etc.)....so no one from this forum would have had a clue if they owned it before without clairvoyance.

Now again, we actually enjoy trying to figure out the oddities and mysteries, but there has to be something to go on.....good clear pics of the entire guitar, would be a BIG plus.

Neck heel tells a LOT......body markings, especially top and back wear, the inlays are like fingerprints on some guitars...etc. etc. etc.

But if you already KNOW what it is, well......??

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Avatar pic is small and never gets bigger.

As HCT has said, closeup (in focus) shots of the cavity plus headstock back and front, heel, and maybe even the full front-on body can assist. There are several odd construction details which lasted only a short time which can help, plus the cavity is important.

Just as another aside - if you can find a previous owner, what sort of details are you expecting from them??

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  13. 72lespaul

72lespaul Junior Member

ok. i'll take a few more shots. i'm just trying to do a little historical research about its provenance, that's all, if it is available, and that of course is a long shot :)

14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I guess that is harmless

.....but we're not talking a burst here where you need to prove what it is for the sale. I'd bet 99.9% of people couldn't care where the guitar was bought, or by who. And it certainly won't change the value you'll get for it.

But good luck anyhow

15. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Definitely very early 71 with 96xxxx number.

16. 72lespaul

72lespaul Junior Member

Arandall i agree. just doing a little historical research. for sure it will not affect value of the guitar