Just called the wood shop on Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 45WinMag, Jul 13, 2018.

1. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

They have a planer and jointer. I've been looking at some of the wood I have in a huge pile in my garage (I have no idea how all this wood fit in a storage cage at TechShop). I'm feeling a need to get back in the game (aside from shooting lacquer in the afternoons). Maybe I don't have access to CNC anymore, but I did manage to build two Les Pauls in a cluttered garage before TechShop. I'm a lot better than I was then, even without CNC. I think I feel an SG coming on.

[​IMG]

I've had this maple billet for a long time (and another similar one). The Spanish cedar blank is one that I messed up while testing my CNC design (it has a cut across where the body should wrap around the top, so I couldn't use it - bad CAM code, didn't allow for clearance while moving from one cut to another). I'm going to plane it down to the internal routes and use it as the body for an SG. The controls will be in the wrong place, but this isn't a replica (and I like having the volume knob in reach of my little finger anyway). The maple billet will be the top. I still have a Spanish cedar double neck blank. I also have a Braz fretboard already inlayed and ready to go that I did on the CNC router. Wish me luck.

2. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Good luck, we’re all counting on you. :thumb:

smk506 and 45WinMag like this.

3. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

That maple billet looks spectacular :)

Youre going to use that on an SG?

Might not be the best platform to show off that lovely wood. Of course if you are just slicing a veneer off to top the SG it could look cool. :)

4. SlingBlader

I have an SG on my future build list. Out of curiosity, which plans are you using? Or are you making your own?

5. 45WinMag

The lack of binding on the SG is a driving factor. Plus I don't have an SG. I'm planning to use maple as a top starting at the edge of the wing contours.

These are my two best maple billets. The smaller one is slightly too narrow for an SG (it would have been perfect for my CNC design). They're both thick (the larger one is 2 1/8" thick and the smaller one is 2 1/4" thick).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of wood around here that needs to be guitars.

I ordered a template online (hasn't arrived yet). Not going for an accurate replica, and I'm probably going to mix the SG template with other templates I have laying around. I really just wanted a template for the overall body shape. With the control cavity already out of place, I'm going to take some liberties.

SlingBlader likes this.

6. SlingBlader

I have yet to find any decent plans, and that approach seems to be the best way to go. Looking forward to this.

45WinMag likes this.

7. Skyjerk

The top one is angel step. gorgeous :)

I'll take it!

45WinMag likes this.

8. 45WinMag

Should I make the SG out of that one instead (I'll have to slim the lower bout a little)? Or maybe a tele? :hmm:

I'll have about 1" of thickness left for the Spanish cedar when I plane it down to the internal routes. What is the typical overall thickness of an SG? What would be the ideal thickness for the top? I was thinking about a 1" body with a 1/2" top. Will this give me enough room to carve the wing bevels?

9. SlingBlader

Oh for the love of God man, not a tele!!!! :shock:

10. 45WinMag

Just pushing buttons, Chris hates teles. :D If I made a tele out of angel step, Chris would probably drive directly to my house to burn it out of principle.

I picked these up cheap a couple of years ago (I don't remember exactly, but they were each under a hundred). I'd noticed that prices of billets was drastically lower if they were slightly too small to make a LP top. My CNC build with the inset top was designed partly to take advantage of spectacular wood at lower prices. I think those days are gone and any quilt is pricey now.

11. Skyjerk

What the hell is wrong with you?!?

:)

45WinMag, sdshirtman and SlingBlader like this.

12. Skyjerk

Best response :)

45WinMag, sdshirtman and SlingBlader like this.

13. SlingBlader

Right. I have not publicly voiced my opinion on teles here ; but as it happens, Chris and I have very similar opinions on the matter. The headstock makes me dry-heave. I think that it looks like something designed by a 1st grader. The body shape is pretty ok, but I feel like the slab aspect can, and has been, improved upon by others.

I’m not disparaging those who admire the design. To each his own. This is simply my own, very personal opinion. :cheers2:

bcguitars74, Skyjerk and 45WinMag like this.

14. SlingBlader

I’ll go further on the matter the risk of high jacking the thread. (I’ve had a couple of beers this afternoon). :cheers2:

@KnightroExpress has one of the best takes on a Tele design that I’ve seen lately. Ok cutting myself off. Carry on.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    KnightroExpress and 45WinMag like this.

15. 45WinMag

I have two of my CNC design bodies that I didn't finish due to a couple of issues - one doesn't have the back roundover routed. I'm tempted to use it to make a template of my body shape and start making a normal bound version of my CNC design.

For the blank I'm currently planning to use for an SG, I could just plane it down past the router gouge and slap a bound top on it and continue the build with my design. I could use my PRS-style templates for the neck joint.

16. 45WinMag

Chris, are you the one who uses decals to mask the headstock inlay for paint? I have an idea and I need to find a source for decals.

17. akwusmc

akwusmc Senior Member

Hasn't hurt this guy ... :)

18. 45WinMag

Okay, went to the woodshop at Anacostia-Bolling today. It's okay. The equipment isn't as nice as TechShop was, but it's a lot better than my garage.

Ruined a billet on the jointer (the lower one in the pics above - not the angel step billet). For some reason, couldn't get a good edge on one side and jointed it down too small to use. Didn't try to cut the other billet in the pics above.

I did cut a different piece of maple with success, and I was able to salvage a body (the body blank from the first pic in the thread) by planing it down and routing the body shape. Here is the useable result of today's effort:

[​IMG]

This guitar is going to be thin. The body is 1" and the top is 1/2" thick. Will be 1.5" at the peak of the carve. 1.25" at the top of the binding.

Even with the ruined billet, I feel pretty lucky today. When I was setting up the router table, I felt something hit the back of my neck a start to go under my collar. I thought maybe a spider fell on me, so I reached back and snatched it out. It felt way bigger than I expected when I grabbed it, and I reflexively threw it on the ground. Hornet! Big one! It landed beside the desk worker and he killed it. Pure luck to grab a hornet and throw it without getting stung.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Skyjerk and SlingBlader like this.

19. SlingBlader

Man, that angel step looks amazing! Sorry about that ruined billet.. I've had some bad luck with that myself lately. On the other hand, you did manage to kill an offspring of Satan, so there's that. :naughty:

45WinMag likes this.

20. 45WinMag

It's easy to write off a ruined billet when you realize you were fortunate to avoid a hornet sting. The guy at the desk looked just as surprised as I was. Right before he squished it, he looked at me like "did you just throw a hornet? WTF?"

The billet I cut successfully today isn't the angel step billet from earlier in the thread. Different angel step - didn't even notice it until I cut into it.

SlingBlader likes this.