Just bought a 1967 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by 02-fatboy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Yes it has a cover. But it doesn't have the Gibson Logo on it, and it doesn't fit on the bracket that is on the guitar. Aparently the cover is an aftermarket all parts one. I already spoke with him about this. I could try to do some work to make it fit, but it still wouldn't have the writing on it. I might just leave it the way it is though?

2. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

And where did you see USD500 for the cover piece only?
    You're confused, you found the whole Vibrola for that amount.
    I told you to be patient and look from time to time around.

You can check here from time to time for example:

The Parts Drawer Vintage Gibson Tailpieces Vibrato And Bridges

and here, probably in stock:

Fender Stratocaster Parts,Fender Telecaster Parts,Fender Bass Parts,Marshall Amp Parts, Guitar and Amplifier parts,Gretsch Guitar Parts,Gibson Guitar Parts, Hofner Bass Parts. Parts is Parts has more Guitar parts and amp parts.

You have to do your homework.

3. LPCustom72

LPCustom72 Senior Member

I once had a 60's SG with the usual 70's "upgrades" - "Better" tuners and that ever-so-popular Badass bridge. Given the headstock repair (that was exceptionally well done), the price was about half one in original condition. I asked around at reputable used and vintage shops if period tuners and bridge/vibrola would up the price. The answer was "no", they are not the original. So I did what folks here are advising - enjoy. I did.

Switching to period pickups is a different consideration - getting a particular sound you might like better or that fits the guitar's "original intent". If you really like the sound of the guitar as is, then stick with what you have. If you are curious what it could sound like, consider the pickup change. Do what many of us do when we wonder about these things -- go to Youtube, type in the guitar model and year, and watch Phil X wail away on that model guitar.

Wait a minute....I can hear him now!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBgUrUD4rY0&feature=related[/ame]

4. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

thanks for all the great advice whatever I do I plan to play the piss out of it.

5. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

The guitar just arrived at my home. I will check it out and update with what I think about it once I get home tonight hopefully if I can find time.:dude:

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Looking forward to the pix!!

7. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

I can do that. Provided my wife lets me. She was upset I spend to much time on the intranet and am not giving her enough of a break from our 3 week old daughter. I have been trying to cook, clean, do dishes, do laundry and whatever else I can to help out. I am lucky if I can get about 5 minutes of guitar playing in at a time.

Although its pretty easy to log on post here then log out and come back later.

8. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Boy do I sound like a Jerk. I didn't mean it that way. I love my wife and my daughter. I am very thankful she even let me spend money on another guitar. With 14 of em its not like I needed another one.

GAS STRIKES AGAIN

9. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Its here. I have decided to sit on it and do nothing with it for now. I took the strings off and thats the way its gonna stay for the next few months.

I was gonna put new strings on but I realized whoever put the fretboard on didn't line it up right. I spoke with my luthier and they want 400 dollars to remove it and reglue it.

I also found a set of original pickups buy they want 500 dollars for them installed.

Sorry but there is no way that I am gonna spend that kind of money. Guess thats why I have decided to sit on it. I am gonna shop around for original pickups and try to find a decent reputable luthier who can redo the fretboard for a decent price. I could see 200 but there is no way I am gonna spend 400. Oh well I got into it cheap enough so I have nothing to gripe about.

Sorry didn't bother to clean it LOL. You get dirty pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Here are pics of the fretboard so you can see just how far off it is. This guitar has alot of potential, but for the time being I don't want mess with it until I do some more research and find a good luthier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I'd leave the Grovers on. It was very common at the time, and thus period, for people to change the tuners to more expensive ones (Grovers or Schalers). A vintage Maestro cover is however hard to come by and will likely cost a pretty penny. I don't know if a cover from one of the available similar vibrolas replacements (without the Maestro engraving) will fit. But if it does, it would at least provide the general complete look. I'd focus on the T-tops ($135-250).

12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:hmm:

Assuming that:

1. You have enough room for adjustment in the bridge to properly intonate

and

2. The fret work is not facked up and is the "correct" 24.75" scale

you could in theory just scoot the nut up flush with the board, adjust the intonation (which would be further to the "rear" than if the board were placed correctly), and have no real issues requiring the board to be removed, making it a playable guitar.

Did you contact the seller?

13. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Yep I contacted the seller. I am sure I could make it playable the way it is. He described that it might need some binding work. I think what he meant to say was the fretboard was off a little. But for what its worth he did a pretty good job describing everything. I am very happy with the purchase. I figured even if it needed work you don't find em that cheap.

I already have offers for double what I paid in its present condition without doing a thing, but to be honest unless I find something I like that much better that I want to buy, I am just better off holding onto this and finding a decent place to fix it right for a reasonable price. 400 dollars is out of the question. And 500 for original pickups installed is way to much as well. I have been watching and I am thinking max about 250 for a set of original pickups. Not sure about the cost to have the fretboard done yet.

It appears that its gonna be the right scale. The new fretboard matches up with the old one that was scalloped, its just a matter of getting it placed right. Sure i could probably have it set up and move the nut and play it the way it was, but that would bother me for as long as I owned the guitar because I would feel like I half ass rigged it back together.

For the price I paid I got what I paid for, maybe a little more even. People are crawling out of the woodwork here and on HC offering to buy this from me. Kind of suprised considering I didn't even list it for sale.

14. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

String it up and play it. Learn its quirks and strengths. Start bonding with it. Leaving it unstrung and unplayed makes just a piece of wood in a closet.

15. Chrislespaul

Chrislespaul Junior Member

Wow, at that price it really is a great bargain!:applause: And if you do ever plan on selling it again, it should retain its value and resale price I'd expect to not be too bad. Great looking guitar though, sounded a bit worrying with the list of problems at the beginning, but with that picture it just blew me away I'd buy it if it was in a store. Well done mate, you've got a real quality guitar in your hands.:thumb: