Just bought a 1967 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by 02-fatboy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I like it. Cool score!

2. Hurricane Jake

Hurricane Jake Member

Very nice, enjoy sir! (beat out some classic AC/DC on her!)

3. planks

planks Senior Member

Sweet axe! Congrats.

4. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I wonder how hard it would be to find some original T-tops for it? I wonder if putting original pickups back in it and searching for some original tuners would really help the value of it???

I suppose it probably doesn't matter much, I mean I plan on playing it. Besides I can't imagine it would be very cheap to find original tuners and original pickups for it?

5. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Fatboy, first off, vivid congratulations. I am all about issue guitars. They're cheap but they still deliver. Plus they are project guitars, i.e., you can have fun restoring them.
    Which - I see - might also be your case.
    I would STRONGLY suggest to stick t-tops in it. FInd where? Egay and gbase.com.
    Although (I haven't searched for you yet) there might be none right now, those WILL come up. T-tops are superb pickups.
    For the tuners, I wouldn't care that much to add original ones. I'd run to RSguitars and purchase replicas, aged ones, double rings. You'll see how well those are done by them.

My point is, to restore the looks as much as possible but try to get the original vibe of the tone. That's the purpose of my issue guitars, always.

Huh?

PS
    That's an 1967 for sure, no doubt. The giveaway is the neck joint. That's the '67-'68 neck joint. It will change for 69s onward.
    The serial number is a mess, doesn't mean much in those years. But yours is definitely a '67.
    Among the larger pickguard types of SGs of the late 60s, '67s and '68s are considered (and valued) as the best late 60s SGs to have.
    Because of how they were built.
    I also have a '67, and I love it.
    I also tend to like later ones, until '71, which are built differntly and sound differently, but not a bad difference (this is just for your information)

EDIT: looked on egay, plenty of them right now:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2980&_nkw=t+tops+pickup&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

6. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

good deal

7. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Love it, well done!!

8. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Would the T-tops in be the same T-tops that are in my 76 Les Paul Custom?

I might eventually look for original pickups? The SG comes this week so I have get it and play it before I can really make up my mind about what I am gonna do with it.

I have definitley been taking advantage of a crappy economy. Probably to much.

In the last year I have picked up the following vintage guitars. I have spent some money on repairs, setups, bone saddles, pickup covers, pickup systems, getting them repaired and etc.

All prices are before any repairs or work was done. I have also sold a few guitars and made a few trades but I definitley watching for anything vintage thats a fair or decent price. I might be off on prices? But I think this is roughly what I paid.

1967 Gibson LG0 acoustic 700 I actually have over 900 with all the work done to it.
    1976 Les Paul Custom 1500
    1978 Les Paul 55/78 699 routered with no pickups ( I put a SD JB in the neck, and a SD antiquity in the bridge and I just can bring myself to put this guitar down) With work done I probably have about 900 to 1000 into it.
    1979 Stratocaster 1500 Needs about 200 dollars in repair work
    1967 SG Standard 925 (if you count paypal and shipping costs) No idea how much this is gonna cost after repairs

1964 Gibson Melody Maker signed by BB King bought several years ago for about 500 dollars have about 1000 dollars invested after some repair work

I have also sold quite a few guitars as well. I typically either break even or make money so it usually works out quite well for me.

I feel like vintage guitars are a better investment for me than stocks. At least right now they seem to be doing alright. Just cause I am making money doesn't mean I will sell something. I have actually gotten quite attached to a few of these guitars. I almost sold my 76 Les Paul Custom about a month ago for 2500 to a guy locally but then realized that would have been a huge mistake. So I kept it. It just plays to nice to part with.

I did recently sell my 61 Reissue SG for a nice profit and my 05 Les Paul Classic for a profit so that I could use the funds toward some cool older guitars. To be honest I really don't miss either of them even though they were both awesome guitars.

Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archtops never seem to work for me. I sold a 50's Gibson ES 125 in the last year and I sold this old Kalamazoo from the 30's that i still have a pic of. They were both cool guitars but just not my thing. It was cool to be able to try them though.

[​IMG]

9. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Your '76 T-tops might be similar but I doubt identical to '67s. Still, since they're old, better than current reissues. So worth still a try

10. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

I just found a set of original pickups for this guitar at a local shop. He's gonna hold them for me while gets me a price and get back to me.

I will post here once I know the price and maybe somebody can tell me it its worth it.

Still not sure if I should look for some original tuners or leave the groovers?

Also does anyone know if I can just get a tailpiece cover that has the gibson symbol on it? Or do I need to try and buy a whole new vibrato?

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I'd leave the Grovers...

12. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Thats what everybody keeps telling me to do. I just might? But if I am gonna try to bring it all back to where it is supposed to be maybe I should do the tuners too?

I guess I will have to wait until it gets here to decide? I could always buy some originals and just hold onto them in case I ever decided to sell it or something???

Buy the way whats a sammich???? Is that a cross between a sandwich and one of the those cheap samick guitars????

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I wouldn't dump money in it in the name of making it original - because it never will be. Not with that new board! I'd just make it functionally 100% and enjoy the hell out of it - pups are reasonable, but unless you don't like the function of those tuners, I wouldn't replace them - and even then, I'd use repro parts. Thats just me. My #1 lately is a refin '64 Fender Jag which I built - all repro parts but original wood, and it is fantastic! I'd never think about dumping the $1.5k in to it to "upgrade" to vintage parts...

Sammich = Sandwich :D

14. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Wow - real nice.

15. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Makes sense. I will likely just play it. If I can get original pickups and a repro cover for the vibrato I might do that.

16. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Question what would you rather have? A 67 SG with a headstock repair that has been well repaired? Or a 67 SG with a non original fretboard that was professionally replaced?

Do you think one affects the value more than the other????

17. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Headstock repaired well would do for me. Price will not revert to original mint anyway. Headstock repairs works wonders.
    Yes, you will find a Lyre Vibrola cover piece. I say again, look into ebay and gbase

18. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Given that choice - probably a well done headstock repair. But - neither would bother me if done correctly.

19. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Interesting, I am not gonna pay 500 dollars for a cover peice. Most I would spend is 75 dollars.

20. Jason S

Jason S Senior Member

He says in his ad that he has the cover.