Just bought a 1967 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by 02-fatboy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Man I just bought a 1967 SG for a really good price. Or at least I think it is? It's not 100 percent original and it has a few issues.

1967 Gibson SG Standard

No headstock repairs but here are the issues.

The pickups are not original, they were replaced with gibson Classic 57's

The tuners are not original they were replaced with Gibson Groovers.

It has an extra hole in the body where somebody put an input jack at one point in time. I will likely have to have this filled eventually.

Also the original fretboard had been scalloped. However the owner had it removed and a new fretboard put on in its place.

Lastly it needs a possible setup and or fret leveling because there is some slight buzzing once you get down around the 15th fret.

All this being said I feel like I got a pretty good deal??? The last 60's SG I saw sold locally for 1300 dollars it had a nasty headstock repair, it had not original tuners, as well as non original pickups, and it was a special at one point in time because it was routered for humbuckers.

So compared to that this looks pretty good to me.

What do you guys think? Its Already bought and paid for just waiting for it to show up on my doorstep.

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

3. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Well, because you bought it, the seller deleted the ad and your link is dead. We have no pictures to know what it looks like, and we don't know what you paid to know whether you got a good deal.

4. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

paid 925 for it paypalled and shipped to my door. When I posted this here the link was still up. I will post pictures as soon as it gets here. Unless the seller sends me some first. Sorry about that but the link was working when I initially posted it.

Here is a link with a picture of it from HC.

Electric Guitars: 1967 Gibson SG For Sale | Harmony Central

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

If I saw that locally I would have bought it without question.

Somewhat wary of shipping based on a CL deal or a member w/ 0 posts, but hopefully it arrives safe and sound.

I'd say that you did extremely well at under $1k.

6. Ayy Itss Daveee

Ayy Itss Daveee Senior Member

Why is a vintage guitar like this worth such a small amount of money? I would have assumed double that price.. Don't know much about SG's so what am I missing?

7. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Its not a closet queen. I got some really good pictures, and I have also had several phone conversations with the previous owner. Its in shipment as we speak. I was leary of someone with no posts but he had it listed on CL too with a valid phone number.

If I can talke to a guy on the phone and make payment via paypal, I am pretty confident I am not gonna get screwed. I did have a problem one time when I went to buy a Heritage 535 from a guy off CL and he refused to ship it after taking payment. But then again I filed a claim with paypal and got my money back.

Worst case scenario I am out 925 dollars for a few weeks.. BOO HOO. I would take that chance again if I could pickup another vintage SG for that price.

Pics to come soon. Shes been beat pretty hard, but she still looks worth 925 to plus its just major mojo in my opinion.

Get this the previous owner bought this from a pawn shop for 300 dollars. He just wanted to get what he had into it back out of it. Hence he put the 57 Classic pickups in it, had a new fretboard put on since the old one was scalloped, bought a vibrato for it etc. So even though he got a good deal on this when he was done he probably had close to the 850 into the guitar.

8. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Pics for the viewing pleasure. This thing isn't perfect but its way nicer that the one I saw recently sell locally for 1300 with a headstock repair that was way more beat to piss than this thing if you can believe that. It is definitley a buyers market, but people still aren't giving stuff away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Yeah, that is too cool. You done good. :thumb:

10. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

I'd say that was a steal! Awesome.

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

To be honest, I was a bit worried after reading the grocery list of issues and repairs, but after seeing the photos, I have to agree with diceman. You done good.

12. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Hell even if I play it the way it is and then spend some cash later down the road to fix a few things or try to put it back to its full glory (which is not likely because original pickups and tuners, and having some finish work done would cost a fortune) I am still never gonna loose any money on this deal.

The bottom line for me is major Mojo. Being honest I wouldn't expect much less from a 67 SG standard. I could post pics of the old fretboard too. He included it. I have no idea what I am gonna do with a scalloped fretboard LOL. But I guess at least I have the original one??? Not sure that really helps the value LOL.

13. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Here is what appears to be a fair priced SG JR???? Not sure what these are worth but they seem to be in the 2000 dollar plus range along with the SG specials???

1967 Gibson SG Jr.

14. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

At that money you have nothing to lose. Play the thing to death, biff it, bash it, it doesn't matter a fuck! If it doesn't behave then kick it's arse!!

You dig it?

15. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Yep that about sums up this thread.

16. g60_dave

g60_dave Senior Member

I was trying to get rid of a 76 strat in a rush recently and advertised it at half the value because of changes etc and every PM and call I got was suspicious over it because of the cheapness. The first guy who played it couldnt get his wallet out quick enough.
    Sometimes theres cool bargains for the risk takers!

17. LPCustom72

LPCustom72 Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal. Had a '69 SG Special for 30 years with the usual issues - broken headstock, replaced tuners, replacement Badass bridge. It had the original P-90s. Sold it recently for $1800. What you have is a real nice single slab mahogany body, great neck and a lot of the original hardware. Think about finding some period t-top pickups to bring back the original sound. Not neccessary but a nice touch. Enjoy.

18. 02-fatboy

02-fatboy Senior Member

Hmmm I didn't know this had T-tops originally? I just recently sold a 61 SG reissue for 1275, so that I could use the funds to purchase my 79 Strat. I jokingly said I would get a real 60's SG next time. Low and behold I actually found one I could afford. Hey it has some issues but that makes it that much more cool.

19. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

nice score

20. LPCustom72

LPCustom72 Senior Member