Junior wraparound bridge bushes hole size?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by BADMAN67, May 30, 2017.

1. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Junior Member

Have bought some Faber bushes that look like 1/2inch. Holes in the guitar I'm building look to be 7/16th. Is that right?Looks a tight squeeze? Have posted same question in Luthiers section but thought I'd ask here too. Many thanks

2. renegade87

renegade87 Junior Member

BADMAN67,

7/16" should be closer to it than 1/2". You didn't say whether your guitar was a Gibson or Epiphone. The Epiphone will be metric. Probably 11.2mm OD for an 8mm post. Not positive about the Gibson equivilent so I'll leave that to others. Invest in a cheap pair of calipers. You'll be so glad you did. They'll pay for themselves with the money you don't spend on wrong size parts.

3. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Junior Member

Hi thanks for reply. Faber parts are Gibson imperial spec. Guitar is a new build provided to me by a luthier here in UK.

renegade87 likes this.
  4. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Junior Member

Right I've cut a piece of timber on my cnc panel saw at work. Cut it 0.437thousands (had to change settings from mm to imperial! There's a menu window I've never been in before ha.) So that's 7/16ths. Checked it against holes in body and they correspond sizewise. Faber bushes deffo Gibson size so I assume this is all correct. Just looks tight. Few beers one night and I'll find out ha. I've cut a piece of timber to fit exactly in the pickup cavity to act as a backing piece on the treble side. This was my concern blowing the mahogany out as Bush went in.

5. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

Gibson bushings press-fit into a 1/2" diameter hole.

6. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Junior Member

They'll need to be tighter than push-fit though won't they? Can't find any spec regards hole size/Bush diameter,but YouTube videos show them been drifted in with a drill press or hammered in. Holes must surely be smaller than 1/2 " if bush OD is also 1/2"?

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

As said, the imperial '1/2" bush' is called that because it needs a 1/2" hole to fit the right way.

8. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Junior Member

Sorted. Ended up drilling a 12mm hole which was still too tight. Then 13mm hole and inserts pushed in snug with just a slight tap to get them flush. Stress over!