June Backing Track of the Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, Jun 1, 2013.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

OK gents. Here's mine. As I mentioned before I struggled with this one after hearing so many others on here. To be frank, I also thought this came out a bit sloppy.

I ended up using two guitars. My PRS CU22 and LP. Mesa DC-5 amp, SM-57 mic. Effects: EQ, Delay, Compression, Reverb.

Since making this recording I got some pickups in my PRS. I'm anxious to try them out.

Kfowler8 June Solo by kfowler8 on SoundCloud - Hear the world

8 people like this.
  2. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Thanx

No not a backing track as we are using....its part of Sonoma Wire Works "RiffWorks" and their "instant Drummer"

Basically you buy a collection of prerecorded snipets that are recorded by an artist ($9.00) it includes beginning middle and end, with intensity levels and complexity levels and timing (bpm) you set your riff or idea and the drumer sort of finds the accents to make a basic track that you have recorded. Then, after the idea is set (sorta like a sketch) you can sew the different parts together. Look it up and read the web site. Its a great tool to jot down ideas and build on them.
    All sorts of drum styles and Genre. This drum package is called "Snakefoot" and it is Matt Sorum, I love his snare and kick combinations.

Yea if KFowler8 wants to, I can mix a track from the masters and take out the solo's. Its a real easy thing in A :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I'n fully open to using other tracks. I was planning on doing something in Am to mix it up some. Either way is fine with me.

2 people like this.
  4. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Actually reminded me a lot of The Cult from Sonic Temple. One of my favorite albums.

5. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Those drums sound great. I really like Matt's style of drumming also, it has great energy.

6. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I'm still dealing with some tube problems. My microphonic tube died and it took a power tube with it. I have replacements, but have been spending a lot of time tube rolling preamp tubes. It seems I have a bunch of microphonic tubes. Hopefully I will get somthing in before the month is over. But I'm very picky when it comes to how I want my preamp tubes to sound, so I don't know.

edit: I think Am minor would be a pretty cool key.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Bring on the Am....I love that key......

1 person likes this.
  8. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I have all four of his styles in that package group. I bought the Guitar Port by Line6 and the Riffworks package came with it, and so did a bunch of free drums. But they were basic. and as with anything else they steer you to buy more.....I spent some time browsing through their selections and all the Matt Sorum stuff matched my style. There are swing, jazz, shuffles, blues, metal by all sorts of drummers.

Best $250 I ever spent on gear.....:)

2 people like this.
  9. parts

parts Senior Member

Am has been berry good to me..
    Been doing different things..light Jazz..trying to find my way back..
    Forcing myself to think/feel the neck in different genres
    New Audio card..one pass with obligatory mistakes :)
    I am doing these only one pass to push my re familiarizing with the neck..also 4:30 makes me look for non repeating licks..
    I try to suprise myself with where I go..push..trying to be a little creative with timing and phrasing..
    Hands are still stiffer especially right..maybe I will need to just live with it or work around..

I think the new (to me card) sounds a lot nicer than my old onboard AC97..
    https://soundcloud.com/docc48/backing-track-7-slow-blues-in

I'd really enjoy listening to what you gents are doing..maybe a Guitar Lesson Group thread with links to current projects ?

1 person likes this.
  10. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Do you guys have a preference for July's track?

Here's some options:

- Another hard rock up tempo
    - Dark power ballad (slower tempo)
    - Stevie Ray Vaughn style Blues
    - Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)
    - Contemporary Soft Rock (Don't let the title scare you. It's actually pretty cool.)

I've got some funk stuff I'll post one month just to change it up and challenge us.

Also if anyone has a track they'd like to use, feel free to volunteer it.

11. Jaxx

Jaxx Banned

What is the powertube it took out? Also, what is the preamp tube> I have lots and could maybe send you one off?

12. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I appreciate it, but I've got replacements. I lost a SED 6550, and the preamp tube was a Groove Tube 12AX7c (Shuguang) I really like the sound of those. I have quite a few of them, but a lot of them are microphonic. Sometimes though, they won't be as microphonic in another position, I just have to roll them around and see which works best. I think I got a line up in there now, so far they are good. I just want to make sure before I do any recording. Nothing worst than laying down a good track and a tube starts squeeling. It can be EQ'd, but it's a pain and you'll loose some top end. Thanks for the offer, if it don't workout, maybe I'll take you up on it.

13. Jaxx

Jaxx Banned

For sure man. Happy to help. I have lots of old tubes. Contact me if you are in need.
    Believe I have no more 6550, I had some awesome Vintage Sylvania and Tung Sols. Im here if you need some. :wave:

Jaxx

1 person likes this.
  14. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

since your a tube guy.....I have a couple of Kt66's in a Marshall, Vintage Modern one of them came loose from the base, it didn't loose vacuum. I put a bead of crazy glue around the base and glass, so far its seems to be working OK....Is this tube in trouble? I used the amp at practice last night...seemed to run OK ....any thoughts? I have a set of 6L6's in case....:naughty:

15. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Well, here's my June track that caused me to pull my hair out! I downloaded the trial version of Reaper and it took me forever to figure it out but I think I did.... I have no idea what some of the terminology means on Reaper never mind Audacity. Oh Audacity... Now that's another story!!
    I just moved into my new home last Month and finally set up my Basement studio. I bought a laptop and "GOD"!, Ya think I could figure out how to record on that? Fu-getaboutit!!!!

Anyways' I figured out Reaper this morning and afternoon and this is what I came up with... There is slide guitar through out the track.

Gee this was so much fun, I can't wait till July's :thumb:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dools492vs/june-backing-test-1-1[/SC]

6 people like this.
  16. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Hey Flametop there was some very good playing in there, but I had to breakout the headphones to hear it clearly. The first thing you want to do before you record anything is check those levels. Make sure you got a good signal. The key is to record as loud as you can with out clipping. Then, when you turn it down in the mix you will lower the noise floor with it and it will result in a good strong sounding guitar track.

As far as your playing goes, I really liked the energy you brought with some of those good vibrato's. I really enjoyed it.

3 people like this.
  17. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Did you check to make sure that the crazy glue can withstand the heat a power tube can generate? If not, might end up evaporating, and you might find your self inhailing some glue fumes when that tube starts to get hot. Heck, depending on how much you used, you might even catch a nice little buzz!:dude:

No seriously, it's probably not even enough to worry about. As long as it doesn't sound like bacon frying when your not playing anything when the amp is idle, I think your good to go. That's usually the sign when a tube is going bad. It will sound like bacon frying. I had been hearing that a lot lately before mine went with the preamp tube. At that point it's just a waiting game.

I have a fairly new set (4) of GEC Genalex KT66's I'm thinking about selling or I might try to see if I can find someone to trade with for some 6550's. I bought them for my AFD100 awhile back, played them for about a half hour, and I didn't really like the way they sounded on the #34 mode. Which is the mode I use most. They sounded great on AFD mode, and have a very classic rock sound to them. However, the bass range the KT66's have, having a more prominant low end vs. 6550's, kind of takes away some of the character of #34 mode, the sag in the bass. Which is what really like about that mode and makes it so unique. I also like how the 6550's in this amp are a little more raw and aggressive sounding, which is what this amp thrives on.

I will say this, with the KT66's in there, it really gave this amp more of a Plexi sound and vibe, and I did like the early break up they have vs the 6550's. And they also have more of a mid-range punch than what the 6550's do.

I wasn't really looking to sell these, but given how I just lost a 6550 power tube, I'm just putting it out there. As now I am only down to 3 left over tubes from the originals the amp came with, and they are a little dull sounding themselves. I lost one of those when I first got the amp, then replaced them all. It seems as one tube goes, others usually aren't too far behind.

18. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Yea I was worried about that, They did give off a little "vapor" but (it) they are working now, no problem. I was pushing them a little last night at band practice, I was waiting for the swan song of tube death, but it hasn't happened yet. The amp is at the bass players house so I wont be able to look at them till Thursday or Friday and see if the glue held...if not I might hit you up on those two....are they matched?

I have a set of 6L6's just in case....:naughty:

19. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Thanks GBLEV!! So your saying I need to increase my volume a little bit more? Where should my meters be while recording? I'll take any advise you throw at me. Much appreciated :thumb:

I think I can go back into that same track in Reaper and increase the volumes and then redo it without rerecording?

20. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

If you can get those meters bouncing in orange without clipping, or close to orange, you'll be golden. But you will have to make sure that there is some balance between your solo track and the BT by using the faders. You can either set your track a hair louder, to be the center of focus like a solo is. Or you can find good balance where you hear everything pretty much equal. It's up to you, and remember, if it sounds good, then it's good.