June Backing Track of the Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, Jun 1, 2013.

1. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I forgot about Cool Edit Pro. I used that for years alongside Cubase. Great program. I may have to check out Audition to see what it became.

2. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

There are 3 certifications; Operator Certifiation & Music Production, Pro Tools Operator Certification, and Pro Tools Expert Certification. With these courses you have to do so many hours and pass a final written exam. But on the Operators certification, and Expert Certification you also have a practical exam that you have to pass. I finished all of these courses a couple of years ago while I was in school, but never got around to taking the certification tests. I just kept putting it off, and putting it off. I plan to study up and take all of them soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. bugg

bugg Senior Member

It's probably still a good program but it became far more bloated and Adobe-like after Adobe got their hands on it...

I tried one of the early versions of Audition and while it still had some of the Cool Edit charm, it just didn't run as swift as I remember.

I also could have just been spoiled by Reaper....

4. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Is it expensive? (duh) right??

And is it at home or do you have to be in the industry? or at a specific school? :hmm:

5. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I went to college for a Bachelors degree in Recording Arts/Audio Production and it was offered as part of the course. However, it was up to us to take the certification test on our own time at the school. An instructor would give the test 2 times a week and it was done through a certian Avid website while an instructor was monitoring.

As far as the cost goes, it is expensive. For all of the Pro Tools courses by themselves it's about $6,000. It really depends on where you go, and what course you take. Because you can take individual courses, and they run about $1200 each, and there is 5 courses total. It was included in my tuition each semester, so it was a lot cheaper than that for me. We took each Pro Tools course as a class.

You don't have to be in the industry, you can do it on your own if you want. But I'm pretty sure you can't take it online, because you have to do certian actions with in the Pro Tools system while an instructor watches to see that you do it right. Not to mention, it would be hard for them to show you things and have you hear the differences clearly, as most computer speakers doesn't have the proper dynamic range for what you would need to hear. You would need to go to an accredited school who provides Pro Tools courses to get certified.

The main reason I kept procrastinating on the certification exam, was because when I first started the courses, it was Pro Tools 8, then when I took the next course it was Pro Tools 9, right after I finished that course, Pro tools was on to Pro Tools 10. So my certification exams would have been over Pro Tools 10. And I sure didn't feel like auditing those classes to update myself, I decided to I would just study on my own.

Now as fars as operating the system goes, there is not a whole lot of major changes that would throw you off. It's all pretty much the same, except for a few upgrades. But the test covers such asinine little details about it, I was really going to have to study up. I was also so bogged down with school projects I just kept putting it off. I've paid for it, and passed all of the required hours and tests, I just need to go back and take the certification exam.

6. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Thats awesome! I wanted a degree like that....Are you in the industry?

I went for practicality....nursing....good $$ flow but time is limited.

I took two classes in recording and engineering at Eastern Michigan Univ to fill credit holes in the degree program. ( I was teaching the teacher, he asked me not to "steal his thunder" .....:))

So it would not be practical for me.....

Thanx for sharing

1 person likes this.
  7. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Does EMU have any good music classes? Ypsi's not far from me.

8. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

When I was there they had a whole performing arts building. I know they went through recent positive changes. They may have expanded. I took 2 semesters of acting too.

They have a theater and they have plays all the time. (senior advanced stuff) They also have the orchestra perform there. So there is a music program there because my sister inlaw got her music teaching degree. (My wife got her elementary science and reading teaching cert there too.)

So to answer your question, yes....I just was preoccupied with the intense RN program and set music aside for a while.

9. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

No, I'm not in the big industry, but that's the goal. I mostly do a lot of local stuff, nothing big. But you never know when that one mix catches some ears.

10. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Keep Plugging at it.....A buddy of mine got some contracts to do some commercial work. He started at a cable company....I don't know where he is at at this point. So its not just music, wherever there's a recording /sound opportunity you need to throw your hat in the ring.
    He got his name tossed around to people who matter....thats where the gig is.

I will be stuck doing home recording.....:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  11. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Man you are exactly right, where there is sound, there is a need for someone to work on it. Thanks for the encouragement!

12. parts

parts Senior Member

Got the new sound card.. I was using the onboard AC97 junk.. Real hard to monitor too easily saturated. Now have everything M Audio ..monitors..sound card and interface..
    Just now got it all working..
    Next looking to see if there is latency at all.
    I recorded everything so far running the backing track into my floor pod and then recording the solo..mixed with the backing track so I could monitor it..

Now maybe I can separate..and record a track while listening post..

We'll see..
    Learning this..been an interesting 45 days..\

Edit.

Got it..! But now tone is not as nice as headphones out of floor pod..:)
    But now..I am learning..

2 people like this.
  13. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Hey docc, get you an external hardrive to record to, that way it takes up less proccessing power from the host computer and will help with any latency issues.

14. parts

parts Senior Member

No latency at all !
    I built this I-5 a couple months ago. I was worried about the older PCI card but it does real well. I just need to get some nicer tones playing with the DI from my Floor Pod..

I may get m external for the portability..

1 person likes this.
  15. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

16. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

That is some pretty nice and thick tone you got there, I like it. It's kind of Joe Bonamassa like.

17. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Second Try, I did do a bit of editing so this is a combination of takes 2 and 3....I did a little pickup switching effect..Turning down the neck pickup and rapidly switching the bridge pickup on and off. I didn't think of it during the first take, then it magically popped in my head! And I thought gee whizz.... that is pretty darn cool. So I did the digital dance and cheated it together. The rest is mush but it was fun.

I love this Les Paul......it does so many cool things.......:hmm:
    the one pictured was used.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/sct113/june-backing-track-for-mlp

3 people like this.
  18. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I like your tone too, what kind of pickups are those?

19. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

If your referring to mine I have Joe Bonnamassa Pickups by Seymore Duncan. # 0025 out of 1959 made.

But that last recording masks the true PAF sweetness these have. There is a Chorus, delay and a bunch of other "pedals"

If you want to hear these pups exclusively listen to this...

https://soundcloud.com/sct113/flight-of-the-burst

It is my composition....There are also WCR Darkbursts in there.

3 people like this.
  20. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I like how those pups sound, and that is some good playing on that track. That is a cool drum track. I see it says Matt Sorum drums, was it a backing track? If so, that would be a very cool BT to jam to for a track of the month.