June 2014 Backing Track of the Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, Jun 1, 2014.

1. zendriveseven

zendriveseven Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words! Very much appreciated! I'm a big fan of EJ and realize I will never get to his level, but hopefully a little sank in through the years. Basic 12 bar I/IV/V blues is a real challenge for me, partly because so many do it so well, but I've been working on adding a few more licks in my small bag of tricks.

Also, great slide work on your take!! I'm going to go back a re-listen to all the takes again.

1 person likes this.
  2. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

Started messing around with this tonight; had 3 other jams I had to do before this one. Sounds good and easy; which means I'm gonna struggle lol.

Got some ideas percolating...gonna be an issue to not use metal tones on this one, just don't think it'd sound right at all. Really wanna get hold of my Strat so I can jam this out and go back and listen to the other takes. Keep em coming guys!

3. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

My 3rd take on it ;)

I used my BFG first part was played with the Seth Lover (Bridge) and the rest played with my BG P90.

Didn't deviate much from my other two, but I think the best one.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jetfixxxer/key-of-a-2part3[/SC]

9 people like this.
  4. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

No mistakes, just some jazz notes. :cool:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/195db-5150/blues-elements[/SC]

11 people like this.
  5. arturocivit

arturocivit Senior Member

Well, thanks a to few forum bros I noticed this great thread so posting mine, don't really like it because I'm missing a lot of things, specially at the end, but heck, here I go:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/arturocivit/mlp-june-2014-backing-track[/SC]

Regs!

Arturo

EDIT: Using my trusty ol' Tele FSR, Eleven Rack using a LEAD 800 with a 4x12 Green 20W cabinet and a little bit of reverb, no extra effects, the mic is a DYN 57 off axis and everything goes to my Reaper as DAW, I promise will use my Gibby next time!

9 people like this.
  6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

2 people like this.
  7. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

They're gearing up for the release of V4...maybe this century... Regardless, this is a killer price on the ReValver software! It's one of my favorites.

I also want to point out that only two people have entered their submissions so far for the free pickups; there's 18 days left so no rush but odds are looking really good for the current entrants! :laugh2:

8. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I hadn't seen this. I may have to get the polish out and clean up my track. This is very cool of you Cheopis.

1 person likes this.
  9. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I'm in. I'll get my loaded.

1 person likes this.
  10. ben.jammin

ben.jammin Senior Member

^It's very cool of you to offer a prize this month! :applause:

Hopefully it will inspire a big turnout.

1 person likes this.
  11. parts

parts Senior Member

I have not tried combo or finger picking yet since I came back to playing last year or so.. I thought my right hand was dead really..but Lefty and Len got me interested to try..
    So for a week or so I grew and shaped my nails like I used to when Edison invented music..er..whatever..
    So..my first EVER attempt at finger combo picking a solo in 30 years.. No practice..just grabbed the axe and did it..
    So I kept it simple..just a little reverb ( Learning how to use that dam Floor Pod). 1966 ES355 stereo..
    Bending and using my middle & index first but started adding my pinkie towards the end..
    Nothing real outstanding except I used to play a lot combo..and figured i couldn't anymore..
    But maybe I can.. Will try finger picking next on my J 200 to build my strength..but it's really like a Birdland neck on a full box..

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/docc48/key-of-a-2-combo-pick[/SC]

8 people like this.
  12. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

Ok so this is really not my strong suit. I couldn't find a tone I was happy with, and I think I'm coming to depend on gain too much. This is way outside the box for me, and as a result ended up pretty lame and repetitive. I'll work on it some more, but I'm not feeling it...any constructive criticism would be great. I'd like to be conversant in this style but my lack of knowledge here shows.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/mlpjune[/SC]

Modded Marshall 800, TS in front, no FX. Used this and I'm still getting used to it since I picked it up last night:

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  13. parts

parts Senior Member

Not lame or repetitive.. I also hear repetition in my takes..others..but that is not always a bad thing..
    This is a long lead to a simple progression so it is more difficult to be creative..
    I think your direction with the style is cool..more metal/rock and the distortion fits. I like the style for this..and repeating a phrase sets a idiom. If this were a real song you would play maybe a third as long..so these exercises push the boundary and are instrumental tracks..

My thoughts are just keep moving in the direction you went and clean it up..get more confident..add to it..don't abandon what comes naturally in order to fit into someone's idiom..develop your style.
    I would like to hear a few more takes of yours this month developing the lines above..

You can be the best YOU there is..

2 people like this.
  14. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Yesterday was a guitar set up day for me, truss rod adjustments all round.
    I tested on this months backing track, so this is 5 guitars sharing the track,
    not a one taker.
    For those that get discouraged because they can't nail a one taker,, there's
    nothing wrong with punching in & editing a track that you like, there aren't
    many guitar players that can do one takers & be happy with them.

Same set up: Marshall JMP1, I soaked it with reverb this time.

https://soundcloud.com/len-paul/mlp-june20142-1

8 people like this.
  15. parts

parts Senior Member

Very nice Len.. Very much enjoy your tracks..I will listen more closely but I think I hear three Gibsons..LP..a 355..maybe a P90 MM ?..a Strat and maybe a Tele.. Strat in middle slower quiet part..Tele at end..but I am listening in garage laptop with just OK speakers attached..

Tomorrow is set up day for me.. I need to get a new nut for the Strat..and strings for the Strat and ES175..got the rest ready..

And worse..now I need to be careful with my nails lol..
    Out working on my hotrods today..going to a show a little later..

1 person likes this.
  16. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Thanks Parts, you have the guitars nailed, it's a strat vs tele though. & a P90 LP Junior.:)
    Surprising how the R7 sounds , very similar to the ES with paf's.

17. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

You're a badass man. That was terrific.

18. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

How are people like myself going have a chance to win some pickups when there are people like you... :)

3 people like this.
  19. Royal Crimson

Royal Crimson Senior Member

Badass relic, bud.

20. Royal Crimson

Royal Crimson Senior Member

I know you're jesting.

Getting the chance to participate in this widely varied group that are all united by a common desire to improve is prize enough for me. Congrats to whoever the winner is and to to generous dude acknowledging the importance of this thread by offering the pup prize. MLP really is the coolest guitar forum on the web, from what I've been able to tell, so far.

Rock on brothers and sisters of the long-harp. :)

3 people like this.