Joyo American sound... review

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by 5F6-A, Aug 5, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I loved my Joyo AC tone, so I decided to go for an even more affordable pedal from Joyo. I paid £22 for a American sound pedal in pristine condition... even the original battery wrapped in celophane was inside when I got it.
    Plugged it in an old Marshall combo and the sound is good, reminiscent of many of the many Fender amp I have played through in my life. However, the difference with the AC tone is not massive. Yes, the AC tone is chimier and the American sound has that typical dip in the mids but both pedals behave very similarly. i have the suspicion that Joyo created a basic platform, only tweaking a few components to get the desired result for their different models. Is this also true for the Tech21 originals? Never had the chance of playing those... TBH, I expected a bigger change. Slightly disappointed although both pedals behave and sound very good... they are great tools. Any experience?

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Hey A ! I own the Joyo American Sound and although not on my board now I do really like that pedal, finding it very versatile.
    Not owning the AC I can offer no comparisons.
    What you describe is what amp makers do all the time i.e. take a basic platform such as the Fender Bassman circuit, make a few tweaks and come up with a Marshall.
    I suspect all gear is constructed like that. The AS should sound like a Fender and the AC should sound like a VOX.
    When you say : " ....both pedals behave very similarly..." what do you mean ?
    BP

5F6-A likes this.
  3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

That despite being modellers of two very different types of amps, the basic tone is very similar. The AC is more girthy and dirtier. The EQ is not identical but almost. I can get both to sound almost the same with a few twists of the knobs.

This video (not mine) demonstrate my point.

4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Yes I hear you point! Now I wonder if I can get a Wampler Tumnus to sound like an Xotic BB Preamp ! lol
    Funny 'cause I always thought that VOX, like Fender, was known for its cleans yet as you say the Joyo AC sounds dirtier than the AS.

5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Well... the AC Tone does!
    Both cleans are great in their own right. I also love the cleans of my JTM45.