Joe Walsh On Les Paul Set Up

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by herbalist, May 2, 2017.

1. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

I just ran across this on youtube and thought some may find it helpful, or at least, entertaining. I'm a Joe Walsh fan anyway. Enjoy.

2. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

That's EXACTLY where I learned to tune my LP.

nlea, herbalist and Christosterone like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Nick! Heath! Jarrod! There's a Fire in the Barn! Premium Member

You mean, all the ones that magically stay in tune despite the naysayers? :eek2: Those ones? :rofl:

4. GibsonKramer

This video was a game changer. I had issues with the G String, just like a lot of people. Thought like others, that Gibson must be defective.

I own a Floyd equipped Kramer (floating FR, no route), as well. That guitar, literally never goes out of tune. I've tried. Dive bombs, stretching. Damn thing, never goes out of tune. But, it is the biggest pain in the ass, to change strings, and tune. I mostly don't play the Kramer, because I like to switch up my tuning, while I'm playing.

I pull a LP out, I start to play. Usually, they're in tune. I want to change tuning? Loosen them up... tune, little stretch, tune... good to go. Going back to standard, I usually just tune back up... no need to stretch.

mudface, herbalist and Christosterone like this.
  5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Worst thing you can do when tuning your guitars is using 5/7 harmonics. That's really ABC.

6. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

I'm kinda shocked at the whole lotta love bend trick...well, surprised no one ever corrected me...
    No wonder I haven't sounded like Jimmy all these years...

Btw, cool video...wonder if they raised the price of that white custom after this vid...

As I always say, if you think you have nothing left to learn then you are correct...

-Chris

herbalist and GibsonKramer like this.
  7. GibsonKramer

Yeah, I liked that he gave that little secret away. Couldn't believe it was that stupid simple.

herbalist and Christosterone like this.
  8. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I like how he doesn't break his strings when he stretches them like that:laugh2:

herbalist likes this.
  9. GibsonKramer

Mine don't break, either.

Actually... that's when I change them. When I'm tuning, and one snaps... time to change.

I don't remember the last time, I changed strings. I almost changed them on my '68 RI last night, when I loosened them up, to measure with calipers... then I thought, "naw... wait until one breaks." :dude:

herbalist likes this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I gotta change my strings about every 25 hours of playing time. I can sure remember the last time I did that chore ... because 25 hours goes fast.

11. GibsonKramer

Unfortunately my hand has been acting up lately. Some issue in my back/shoulder, the VA has been working on. Though, the main hold up on playing, is all my guitars are in their cases, and in my closet... and a few in the living room, which are the ones that I play right now, while I'm waiting for the contractor to finish my Room of Pauls.

But, I pretty much play them all. There's a couple/few that don't get a lot of attention, but its a pretty steady rotation of at least 10 guitars. 250 hours of play, between string changes. I don't remember when.

12. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

Once you can feel flat spots on the windings under the strings it is high time for a change. Worn strings accelerate fret wear.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Thumpalumpacus and herbalist like this.
  13. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

I was surprised by by the bend trick too. I can't say that I sound just like Jimmy now, but it did make a difference. Thanks Joe!

I'll bet they either raised the price on that LP, a custom wasn't it, deluxe? I forget, or it went home with somebody there. Me, I would have had to have had it one way or the other. Sell the car, whatever.:D

Thanks Chris.

Christosterone likes this.
  14. DarrellV

Wow! I just watched the vid and I'm shocked to see him doing what I have been doing for years.

I never sought instruction on most any thing I do guitar wise unless I hit a real stumper. My playing shows that!

But what he shows by pulling on the string to 'set' it and then tune up, I found that helpful on Bass years ago.

People around me used to think I was nuts ripping up on those strings then letting them go with a loud slap, but it worked!

My bass has a top load bridge with a very small break angle across the saddles. The saddles are rollers to boot, so I have also found it helpful to push the string down on both sides of the roller to help it to bend flat across the bridge.

If you look closely at a bridge like this you will notice that the string is too thick to bend down to a flat angle on its own, but will be slightly humped as it passes over the saddle.

I have also found this trick helpful for getting rid of what I call 'false harmonics' when trying to tune.

These cause the tuner needle to swing all over the place on the lower string.

Pressing the strings down into the saddles creates a tighter bond between the two and eliminates the wavering tones.

GibsonKramer and herbalist like this.
  15. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Great video. I still watch it once in a while.

16. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

To be honest, my playing sounds more like cats fighting in an alley than Jimmy...
    He is unattainable[for me]

Love this video though....wish more of the greats would do this kind of stuff..

-Chris

DarrellV and GibsonKramer like this.
  17. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Krammer.JPG This is my '85 kramer it had it strings changed a 1000 times and it never got easier.
    IMG_0085.JPG

GibsonKramer likes this.
  18. zeplin

zeplin Junior Member

The golden rule in all if that was tuning UP to pitch. If you go a little sharp detune and bring it back up to pitch. If more people did that one little thing it would probably eliminate 90% of tuning issues. I don't always stretch the string but a small upward tug at the 12th fret won't go astray. Great video from one of my favourite characters. Glad he is still alive.

19. DarrellV

If you're not a guitar player, then maybe you should change the channel! :thumb:

20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

GK, best of luck getting your hand seen after. I know from my own experience how difficult it can be dealing with the VA.

GibsonKramer likes this.