Joe Satriani - New 2017 CD "What Happens Next"!!

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by El Pablo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Above all, two radio events triggered my interest in guitar:
    1. The first time I heard Eruption, and
    2. The first time I heard Satch Boogie.
    In both cases, I was transfixed and utterly inspired. In the years since, the inspiration has never subsided.

Well Ole' Joe has a new album coming out - What Happens Next. http://www.satriani.com/ . It's familiar territory (melodic hum-along instrumentals), but Joe's sounds has a breath of fresh air to it. I hope you enjoy it.

A few new songs can be heard on YouTube. Here are two that really peak my interest.

If you haven't been able to see Joe at his G3 Tours, I highly recommend you check him out in 2018.

Charlize, Mike_LA and Eddie 70 like this.
  2. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

I am stoked for this album. I asked my kids to pre-order it for me for Christmas. His last few albums have been great IMO.

El Pablo likes this.
  3. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

4. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

You have good taste in music Eddie.

5. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I wish I liked it...but I don't...maybe it will take a couple of listens to get me???

6. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

That's really awesome. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't be too worried though. While you have a rare disorder, your condition isn't life-threatening.

Ha, just funnin with ya. I'm a fan. Your not. I get it. Cool. Something about his melodic phrasing that I really enjoy. I find his uncanny ability to write a good hook very impressive.

What stuff do you like? I'd be open to a listen. Unlike most, I like most all types of music styles.

7. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

I can understand this. There is lots of instrumental albums / players that I don't like. Malmsteen doesn't do it for me. Satriani has a rhythm that gets me and I like it.

If everyone was the same, what fun would that be.

8. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I loved Satriani back in the Surfing with the Alien time period...that's why I had hoped to love this too.
    The same thing happened with Steve Vai, it just seemed to get old and stale...

9. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

I totally understand what your saying. Steve Vai is a great example. I absolutely love his Alien Love Secrets CD, even more than Passion and Warfare. While i wouldnt call Steve's other music stale, some his bizarre stuff is just not my cup of tea.

Eddie 70 and Sp8ctre like this.