Joe Bonamassa - Talks Sense...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Thermionik, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Z2112

Z2112 Gold Supporter

15 pages............What the hell happened to America? Outrage is the new normal ?
    I would have figured with all the prescription pills and legal pot people are doing they would be more mellow.
    I'm outraged by all the outrage !
    We need a new drug....Chill Pill

Joe B, If you are out there........Keep on flying that freak flag brother !

tonybony, jdto, DADGAD and 1 other person like this.
  2. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

That was my takeaway, you know, from reading more than the headline. Some people just wanna be upset and miserable and will do what they can to stay that way.

3. skier1

skier1 Junior Member

If you have the talent that Joe obviously has, along with the money to buy buy a sixty year old guitar I'm sure he doesn't need pedals however, us mere mortals would struggle with a guitar and an amp alone, and we dream of sounding like our 'hero's' so o believe we need them, at least until we get very good. No hate to Joe from me though.

Thermionik likes this.
  4. cjpeck

cjpeck Senior Member

no pedal has ever made up for a lack of practice.

Barnaby, Pappy58, Thermionik and 4 others like this.
  5. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

Joe is an extremely talented guitar player. That talent is a gift from God and I really appreciate it.

As a father of a special needs child, I know first hand what it means for someone not to experience possessing a gift like Joe's. When I hold my 12 year old child's hand to help her write her name legibly, l understand the use of pedals and technology. The vast majority of people will never be able to play like Joe. That is why he was able to make a career from his talent.

Frankly, I see Joe statement as being unintentionally mean and haughty. It is like a professional mountain biker insulting people who will never be able to ride a bike without training wheels, and making them feel like they should be ashamed for enjoying bike riding with training wheels. I would hope that if Joe better appreciated the fact that most people will never be able to play like him and that he possess a special gift, he would retract his words encourage everyone to simply enjoy playing to what ever degree they are able and use what ever means helps them.

Perhaps Joe would show a bit more humility if he could see a special needs child's face light up when he presses one key on a synthesizer, which automatically plays an entire rhythm section, and then that child says, "Dad, listen to the song I wrote!"

Tanner, smk506, jdto and 8 others like this.
  6. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

What if Joe wasn't talking about you at all? JFC!

DLRG and Thermionik like this.
  7. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

Please don't misunderstand me. I did not intend to make this about me or to play any sympathy card or anything.

Yes, obviously he is not referring to people like me. And like I said, I believe his comments are "unintentional".

I didn't mean to cause an offense orionz06.... I am sorry if you misread me.

8. orionz06

orionz06 Junior Member

Fair enough. Too many people are butthurt over the headline. They can't see past the fact that the guy, however talented, has tons of time into playing and dislikes that folks are trying to bypass that by becoming "soundscapists" of some sort. I think we can all sympathize there, if we get past the headline. When comparing "traditional" guitar playing to "soundscaping" or whatever the kids call it it sure is lazy. It's still music but it's far from the same.

Thermionik and BlankinLoud like this.
  9. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

this thread delivers so hard. Will it make it to friday? I think it will.

smk506, jdto, Thermionik and 6 others like this.
  10. cjpeck

cjpeck Senior Member

och. Pedals ain't training wheels. A pedal isn't going to turn a clam into a sweet bend. However a whole lot of indiscriminate pedals soaking down the signal can bury just about any splatted note (and cool one) deep into the overall mud of what's coming out of the speaker.

The guy didn't even say he was anti-pedal; in fact he said he used 5-6 pedals (if you count the reverb tank) on the album. Pretty much the consensus of what everyone is going to list off if you threw up a a poll of the average pedalboard. Fuzz, delay, wah, reverb, and a chorus/flanger. Hell, the guy usually gives long-winded interviews, you can't get him to shut up about guitars and gear. He's the king of guitar nerds and thinks everyone else is a guitar nerd just like him and wants to talk about gear all day long. I wonder what was edited out that would let everyone pull their panties outa their buttcracks and relax?

Oh wait a second, continue the outrage, we gotta have some giggles until the Friday thread shows up... sorry Mal

6232849763bd163e81486ac2c47a07d3f852a5af91a230b9b4acb3aed8ebd608.jpg

jdto, Thermionik, BlankinLoud and 2 others like this.
  11. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

Joe B ranted for a second, kind of like 90% of the content in the Backstage :thumb:. Being a fellow forum brother, he should be cut all the slack there is to be cut...

judson, jdto, Thermionik and 5 others like this.
  12. Malikon

CJ, panties are bunched! vaginas are sandy!
    Pissing off this many people at once is the most Metal/Rock N Roll thing he's done.

I fully applaud his expert trolling. Sheer genius! :applause:

judson, jdto, Thermionik and 6 others like this.
  13. Bottleneck

Bottleneck Senior Member

14. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

:lol::lol: :laugh2: :lol::lol:

!! This Totally !!

Imagine if everything you said was documented and analyzed.

Then have a few beers, talk about a performance you may have seen BUT generalize it so as not to SHAME a specific individual. . . . or whatever.

jdto and Thermionik like this.
  15. cjpeck

cjpeck Senior Member

I like one of responses to the instagram post; "We have to use pedals, Joe! You bought up all the cool amps"

16. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

I would prefer to plug straight in but, as much as I try to practice, my wha-wha sound still kinda sucks without a wha pedal. Matter of fact my Delay, Chorus and Fuzz sounds suffer the same fate as well.

Thermionik and northernguitarguy like this.
  17. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

I hate that Joe B wrote an explanation for his heinous act...

18. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

This /\

I would add that I don't agree with him because even if you can't recognise that a guitar is being used because of the pedals, they are still making music and whether you like it or not, is subjective.

19. Shred Astaire

Shred Astaire Senior Member

Sometimes I just leave the guitar out of it and make music on my computer! *gasp*

Wonder what Joe would think about that.

20. Malikon

can you imagine if he'd twitted, "You little b*tches just need to deal with it!"

:shock:

:laugh2:

people would've cried. It would've been the most hardcore thing to happen in a while. Zakk Wylde would've called him up just to high-five him through the phone. :laugh2:

smk506, jdto, Roberteaux and 6 others like this.