Joe B at the Fox!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by freebyrd 69, Nov 24, 2017.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

15090DAC-584F-4BEA-86C4-9429C3C06323.png
    It’s a little hard to tell from this picture, but the suit jacket is a more snug fit in the arms and chest. MY chest guys....look at MY chest. Lol

2. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

No need to be snide about it. I told you what it would be worth for me to go see an act such as Joe's. FWIW, I saw him around 2002 for $10 and there were about 30 people there. My point is that to me Joe is what I call a really good club act and that is no insult. In a small 200-300 seat venue I'd dig the hell out of it. And I applaud Joe for what he's done. It's just not something I could see paying $150 to see. Hey, i wouldn't walk across the street to see Black Sabbath play. It doesn't mean no one would. OTOH, i paid $100 to see the Falcons/Saints game last night and I'm not sure that was a good investment even though my team won.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  3. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Premium Member

I'm the last guy to ask about tickets. I flew to NYC for 3 days to see Clapton in March.

But $35 is pretty impossible these days. Even the little shit club in Milwaukee that used to have 20 specials and you got 2 drinks for that 20 is now $40. But I did pay $40 to see Queens of the Stoneage with Royal Blood last month there. Well worth it. They used to have some decent shows for the $20.

20171015_214307.jpg
    20171015_222648.jpg

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  4. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

I'm prob optimistic re $ for these shows. I went to an arena style concert this summer for the first time in years (James Taylor/Bonnie Raitt) and even from a secondary market it was below $150 IIRC. There aren't many groups I'd pay to see in a really big venue. The sound is usually bottom heavy and somewhat sketchy. The act I've seen the most in the last few years is the Randall Bramblett band and I think they are usually $20-25 though sometimes I'm on their guest list. RB can barely get arrested and he is, IMO, arguably the best American songwriter and certainly Southern American songwriter going. Obviously, not everyone's taste. The market is what it is but give me a great performer in a small club any day. There is a killer jazz night here in my town every Tuesday that's free.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. freebyrd 69

I wasn't trying to be snide. I just see comments like that about his ticket prices a lot. Yep, everyone IS different. Congrats on the Falcons win! I'm going to see my Steelers play in Pittsburgh next Sunday against the Pats ($96/ticket). Maybe, just MAYBE we can finally knock off Brady.

Very few things have gone up like ticket prices.....on EVERYTHING. Go see a non-matinee movie. Want Popcorn and Pop? It'll cost ya $50 for 2 of you. I compare the music things to stuff like that. I don't LIKE it, but, Joe has no middle man, and does rent the venues himself.

This is not a reference to your comment, but more about his ticket prices in general. I don't just appreciate Joe, but you have Mr. Wynan's on keys, Anton Fig on drums, KILLER horn players, bass player, and back up vocalists. The tickets in the "normal" seats are usually about $80 apiece. I just don't see how anyone can think that's so overpriced in relationship to say, the movies. Or, an NFL football game.

The other thing is this, and again, zero reference to you or anything you said. This is in general. Anyone can say what they want, but if you or I were in Joe's position, you are going to always find the point where people will pay "X" amount, and you can come close to selling it out. There is NOBODY that can honestly say they wouldn't maximize that dollar amount. I would. You would too, I bet. So anyone that says he charges too much is full of sh!t. If the seats were empty, it would be a valid claim. When the venue is 75% full, or sold out, well, he or whomever, is charging exactly the right amount, and shouldn't feel bad about doing it either.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  6. Crotch

I had floor or top 20 rows for the following this year:
    Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden
    Paul McCartney
    Stevie Nicks
    Joe B
    Queens of the Stoneage
    Gary Clark Jr
    GnR
    Foo Fighters

You can guess what my concert season cost me :io:

And I'd do it all over again. Trying to make it England for the Clapton, Santana, Gary Clark, Steve Winwood Etc show. That may be beyond my means.

But to me I enjoy those experiences better than owning material things. Plus me and my wife don't do a ton together so going to shows is our "thing", so I don't put prices on it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    guitarjoem and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

$1600?

:laugh2:

8. Crotch

The Clapton concert alone was $1100. Then I still had to buy flight and hotel. :facepalm:

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  9. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

The last three concerts I went to were free. Steppenwolf, Heart and Todd Rundgren.

So there!

10. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Whoa!

Crotch likes this.
  11. Crotch

In all honesty my mom paid for the trip for my wife and I for our Christmas present last year so that made it all come together. But what an experience. Madison Square Garden. 15th Row. 911 memorial. Pizza pizza pizza, Brooklyn Nets game, little Italy. Met up with a guy who lives there now who we hadn't seen in 5 years. It was all such a good time I won't ever forget and I would have probably never went if not for music.

20170319_224811.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    freebyrd 69 and THDNUT like this.
  12. freebyrd 69

Anyone that tries to tell us we spend too much on concerts when we spend 4k+ on a guitar. Bahaha. We ain't right! It's all about fun!

The Pittsburgh trip next week will be fun, and, comparatively cheap. Face value on the tickets (which I could sell for 3x that), gas, food, and parking. I'm staying with a buddy who lives 20 min from Heinz Field. It will still cost me close to $500 when it's said and done though. F*ck it, can't take it with me. LOL

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

To be clear... you paid $1100 for 2 tickets to see EC at the Garden? Did you buy the bridge, too?

14. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Agree fully with everything you said, fb. I really didn't realize his band was quite so big. When I saw him it was 3 piece. Very rare to see a band with horns built around a guitar now. Hey...maybe I need to go check him out! As I said earlier, if he were coupled with a great writer/singer i think it would be more compelling but as a guitarist I'm sure it was more than entertaining and I do not blame him one bit. This is a brutal business and your window to get paid is tiny. Furthermore, I'm a capitalist. Nobody has a gun to anyone's head.

As to the NFL, the games just seem to be getting sloppier and sloppier. I likened last night's game to be in a a car with a drunk driver who rolls the car. You get thrown out a side window and somehow come out miraculously unscathed but that doesn't mean it was an enjoyable experience. I'd put my Falcons up against any team in any sport as the masters of setting you up to rip your heart out. Exhibit A: Super Bowl 51. I never learn.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  15. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  16. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I'd pay $35.00 and up any time to see freebyrd 69 in a suit!
    :thumb:

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  17. Crotch

Face value was 500 each plus fees so yes I did. And worth it, to me. I have no ownership of the bridge. Luckily I bought 4. Sold the other 2 for 1500 so helped pay for some.

freebyrd 69 and SteveC like this.
  18. freebyrd 69

Ha!

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  19. freebyrd 69

Yeah well people wonder why I'm not a Lions fan living in Michigan. You have it easy with the Falcons!

20. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

You have a compelling case. We even imploded our old stadium better than the Lions did but the point is that the Lions never give you anything to be hopeful about. The Falcons set you up and then knock you down. Better to have loved and lost? Sometimes I wonder.:laugh2:

freebyrd 69 likes this.