Jimmy Page wiring with parallel instead of coil splits

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by macjohn, Jun 28, 2013.

1. macjohn

macjohn Junior Member

I've been searching the site, seymour duncan and elsewhere but can't seem to find this wiring diagram:

2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, 2 tones.
    push/pulls on all pots

bridge volume push/pull switches the bridge pickup between series and parallel
    neck volume does the same for that pickup

bridge tone does a phase switch
    neck tone does a series/parallel switch between the pickups

Basically, it's the standard Jimmy Page wiring but instead of coil splitting, I'm going parallel within the pickup. I already have one wired with the standard JP wiring and have some triple shots on another guitar and like the parallel option better than coil splits.

My problem is marrying a simple series/parallel diagram with the Jimmy Page wiring diagram. Anyone have a diagram for this?

Thanks.

2. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

well, if you have one pick up switching parallel, wont that be enough?
    if you switch both, arent they back where they started? dont know this for an absolute fact, but it would seem to make sense:hmm:

3. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Senior Member

Basically you have to replace the split wiring with the parallel one:

[​IMG]

Besides that the song remains the same:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tonemeister

Tonemeister Senior Member

He's referring to parallel "within" the individual hum bucking pickup's coils as opposed to standard which is two single coils in series. If both volume puts we're pulled up you would have 4 single coils in parallel. This is not to be confused with putting the two humbuckers' outputs in series or parallel.

5. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

ah, I see (sed the blind man) that makes more sense to me now. so with pups fully wired for parallel to itself, as well as the other 1 (or 2), a total of 321 possible variations are now possible...personally speaking i could suck 300 ways on the same instrument-i'm in!:laugh2:

6. David_C

David_C Junior Member

I know it's been more than 7 years :D but I drawn a diagram that answer the question.
    I like the parallel option better than coil splits too, the sound is fine and it's hum-cancelling.

Attached Files:

7. macjohn

macjohn Junior Member

That's very cool! Thanks for the answer. Of course, since this was originally posted I ended up having to figure it out based on the info available. I ended up going with something called the 'junkyard dawg' from deaf-eddie.net. It provided me with coil splits, series/parallel within the coil, phase switching, and series/parallel between the two pickups. It allows you to choose which coil you're splitting to and in the middle position, both inside coils and outside coils are hum cancelling (if you flip one of the pups). The coolest sounds (almost strat like) are in single coil mode in the middle position and using the series/parallel push/pull (putting both pickups in series or parallel with one another).

I went back and rewired my original Jimmy Page Les Paul to ensure the middle position was hum cancelling (but since I didn't flip one of the pickups around, it's one inner coil with the others outer coil). The middle position (either in series or parallel) is one of my favorite sounds. I also added a small potentiometer to the coil splits to dial in the exact amount of split I want. This allows me to get a more usable bridge coil split sound than the usual humbucker split sound (kind of thin and shrilly).

I'll file this away for a future project... so thanks again.

8. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

nice

9. akuster777

akuster777 Member

10. NINFNM

NINFNM Member

I had my LP wired for series/parallel for years. The day I changed that for normal coil splitting was one of the best decissions I have made. It was hum cancelling, ok, but weaker and with no twang.
    Sporting uneven coils now I have almost no volume drop.