Jimmy Page Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Hissaman, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hissaman

Hissaman Junior Member

I've just bought a Page style wiring kit from Axetec and a new set of Vanson alnico V pickups.
    I'm a beginner when it comes to guitar electrics so having a bit of trouble, I'm going to follow the 50's page wiring mod as per this video as it is it is very clearly instructed -
    My main issue is knowing what kind of wire to use for each connection the biggest confusion is the single core screened cable - http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec_media/wrsc01-1000.gif
    Am I right in thinking I would solder the blue wire to the centre lug on the pickup switch and then to the hot lug on the output jack ? and then the bare wire on the ground lug of the switch to the ground of the jack ?
    Would the bridge and neck lugs of the switch be wired to the volume pots just using regular the hook up wire provided - http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec_media/wrhu01-1000.gif or would I use the screened cable ? if so would I wire the bare to the ground of the switch again and then the ground of the volume pots ?

2. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

I'll admit not reading your links, but from a EE perspective you should used shielded cable to the switch and back. The center tap of the switch goes to the tip of the output jack, and the grounds all connect to the ground bus as shown. The shielding will help keep the noise low during single coil operation. Good luck with your upgrade! :cheers:

3. Hissaman

Hissaman Junior Member

Okay so I followed the video step by step and when ive plugged the guitar in only the neck pickup works, if i pull the neck tone pot the neck can be heard in all three positions of the pickup selector but at a reduced volume. If i play through overdrive and switch to the bridge pickup there is an extremely faint signal come through but i can't make out if its the bridge or neck that I'm hearing.
    Any ideas as to what could be the issue ?