Jimmy Page Wiring......but different.

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by garybaldy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I am about to install a Tonerider AC4 set in a Fenix LPC copy (lawsuit?).
    I intend to upgrade the harness and got in to thinking about split coils,series/parallel and the like.
    In looking into the JP wiring (for the first time in earnest) I have realised (other than the individual coil splits and the two pups OOP with each other) that the series/parallel switching only adds the two H/Bs in series with each other rather than each pickup being wired series/parallel within each one.
    I have never been a fan of the OOP sound nor do I 'think' I want two H/Bs wired in series with each other.
    I have never 'Series/parallelled' an individual pickup but having read what I have, I like the idea of it.
    So what I plan to do is, with 4 push/pull pots, the following:

1. Neck vol. push/pull - full H/B + Screw coil only.
    2. Bridge vol. p/p - full H/B + Slug coil only. (Gives hum cancelling combined with neck split screw according to Andrew at Tonerider - BTW he's a brilliant guy!)
    3. Neck tone p/p - pup wired in series + parallel.
    4. Bridge tonep/p - pup wired in series + parallel.

Not being a wiring expert I ended up staying up nearly all night trying to combine the different functions into one circuit but I think I've cracked it. Amongst all the many thousands? of wiring diagrams on the net, I couldn't find one for this arrangement.

If anyone knows of one pls let me know so I can check it against mine and to see if I wasted my time.
    Any opinions on what I plan to do would be great thanks.

2. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone is even in the slightest bit interested in this.

3. efstop

efstop Senior Member

You'd have 64 different settings, without accounting for volume and tone twiddling. To me it sounds overboard for for the sheer number of things to remember while playing. I can keep occupied for hours just toggling between bridge, middle and neck and rotating the knobs. If I want single coil sounds, I have two guitars with P-90s and a Tele, and I have no desire to split the 490s on my Tribute.

I realize that you're looking to have all these options on one guitar, but some players that have push/pull never use it. And a split coil doesn't sound like a single coil. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, or bash the idea. My mind just boggles at the complexity of the circuit and what for me is too many choices o_O

garybaldy likes this.
  4. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Series/parallel within the pickup is a great option. I prefer it to coil tapping almost every time

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I've had the Jimmy Page wiring on 2 guitars, I love using both HBs in series with each other. I don't particularly like split coil HBs, but having the ability to switch between series in parallel on each HB could be interesting

6. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Thanks for your comments efstop.
    I'm struggling to determine all 64 settings - I've only come up with 15 so far.
    I have messed about with (only) coil tapping in the past and have a couple of guitars with it that came stock.
    I have gigged with these guitars and used the option fairly substantially but became fully aware that in general, the S/C tones were beautiful in isolation but didn't always cut it with a full band.
    One of my first decent guitars was a Gibson L6S which had a chicken head rotary switch with several OOP options which I didn't take to and was content with using the 3 regular sounds.
    Currently, and for about the last 2 years, I've been consistently using my unadulterated 2013 SGJ (with 490s). It does all I require of it.
    This wiring project is just a bit of fun as I'm stripping out everything and the extra work and cost are quite minimal and the series/parallel is something I've never experienced first hand.
    Whether I discover all 64 combinations or end up using any of them remains to be seen but primarily I'm looking forward to enjoying the fundamental tones from the AC4 pickups in a very nice lawsuit Fenix LPC.
    BTW unsurprisingly I couldn't find a schematic for what I want, so I spent a few long hours coming up with one. It seems far less complicated than the JP wiring. Hope it works now! :fingersx:

efstop likes this.
  7. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I was using powers of 2 based on number of switchable pots and pickups, or 2 to the 5th power, or 64. But I didn't multiply the switch positions ;-) The pots themselves eliminate most of the wiring, so it wouldn't be too bad, I suppose.

I have more TV channels than I can watch, or all else aside from the Weather Network LOL.

I would still be interested in seeing you do this, but you have to do a video :)

garybaldy likes this.
  8. akuster777

akuster777 Junior Member

Hi garybaldi,

If you're a surgeon (or you carefully do the hardest soldering outside the cavity) you might consider hermetico's lp exchanger mod. I wired my old Agile 3100 with Gibson Burstbucker Pros (now sold) this way using long shaft Bourne pots and PIO Vitamin Q's, it was a very tight fit in the cavity. The options worked quite well, however now I've come back around to just using 50s wiring on my LPs. Careful to remember which way is up and down when you solder those push pulls...

http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com/2012/12/wiring-diagram-hermeticos-lp-exchanger.html

Good luck! 16111033_1651203461846379_6568299241028976640_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  9. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Thanks akuster777.
    And thanks for the link. Yet another take on the JP. A mind - boggling array of combinations and pretty tough to remember what setting you have at any one time.
    As I mentioned before, OOP is not for me. Put off by my old L6S many years ago. And when playing my friend's Vintage Lemon Drop, with upgraded Shed PG pickups, I would always just back off one of the vols when in the middle position to get rid of it.
    I was in two minds over the 2 H/Bs in series option but I think I'm happy with the raunch from just one H/B on its' own. And if anything I tend to find myself seeking thinner,less muddy tones.
    The switched pots arrived today and they're pretty tiny. I shall check the switching on the DPDTs with my meter first and hope I don't fry the pots. I expect ultimately all push/pulls will be in the down position and I'll always be reaching for my stock SGJ.