Jimmy Page, The Greatest Rock Guitarist Of All Time

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Torren61, Sep 29, 2009.

1. snag

snag Member

This is fun - Did Jimmy steal backwards echo? That's one of his real sacred cows of achievement.

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

He stole my fingers, otherwise he couldn't play a lick.

3. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Uh, Didn't read the whole thread, but written above me is exactly what I would say, so +11 to this quote.

Cheers, Steve

:cool:

4. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

hold on, Jimmy's fingers are hand me downs, because you stole my fingers :applause:

5. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Uh, straight outta OTO's tarot, well not really... :laugh2:

6. planks

planks Senior Member

7. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

Jimmy Page is the greatest to me. Your mileage may vary

I heard The Song Remains The Same live album my freshman year of high school, and have never gotten over it.

8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I think JP is really overrated as a guitarplayer (and a bit weird ) but he did have some good ideas in the studio.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Damn. I listened to Houses of the Holy and Presence again today. The layered guitar work. The hooks. The technique and tone are simply amazing. If you think that Page is overrated, I'll respect your opinion and just agree to disagree.

If anyone else thinks that Page is overrated or even not the greatest rock guitarist of all time, you're wasting your time commenting here. The true die hard fans that appreciate Page's all around excellence are never going to be swayed by differing opinions.

Just go back and LISTEN to his work. Who cares if he wasn't nuts on every time when he played live? Not me. The proof is in his recordings. Listen to "For Your Life", "The Song Remains The Same" and "Rain Song". If you don't like that composition, technique, tone and production... I feel for you.

10. snag

snag Member

I don't think anyone has done more to expand the sonic vocabulary of rock guitar than Jimmy Page. He is certainly my favorite. That is why I'm more forgiving of his shortcomings as a player. My opinion is that he's not the best, but he is the greatest.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Well put.

12. Ledheadforlife

Ledheadforlife Senior Member

Word. If he was any more technically proficient than he is, zeps song would sound different, and since they're perfect the way the are, that would be a bad thing.

13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

:thumb:

14. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

Meh.. I do believe he's overrated, however, really.. I could care less about him.. I don't like him, I don't hate him. He's a far better guitar player than me, (but thats not all that hard to do ;) ) so i'm not gonna sling any snot about him either.

The only time I will have to put my foot down is on the old "Heavey Metal" debate. Idiot mag's like rolling stone like to list Page and Zepplin in the Heavy Metal catagory, which I detest. The foundations of Metal were laid by Black Sabbath and Tony Iommi. Zepplin and Page were Hard Rock and at that they were the best.

This has little or nothing to do with either band / player really, this has more to do with idiots who let their own egos get in the way of conscious analysis when putting out their half assed attempt at a "gretest ever" list to try and increase mag sles the next month.

Is Page a better guitar player than Iommi.. If you get right down to it.... I would have to say, probably!

However, my own personal path of music leans towards the darker side, the parth that Iommi burned. Page's music simply leaves me.. well.. bored.

In my own little world, If Page had never picked up a guitar, It wouldn't really matter. But thats my world, not necessarily yours.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Fair enough. No argument from me.

16. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

exactly – thank you :~)

17. planks

planks Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfM2CozoAo]YouTube - Coverdale/Page - Take Me For A Little While[/ame]

18. planks

planks Senior Member

looks like Les Paul the man himself :dude: at 0:15 and 1:58..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjRFTIhxnA&feature=related]YouTube - The Firm - Satisfaction Guaranteed (HQ music video)[/ame]

19. snag

snag Member

20. planks

planks Senior Member