Jimmy Page, The Greatest Rock Guitarist Of All Time

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Torren61, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Jimmy Page may be the Greatest Rock Guitarist of All Time.

As a session player, Page played on a huge amount of ‘60s pop coming out of England. He played on many tracks of artists that we in America don’t know about but he played on many tracks that we easily remember.

His studio output in 1963 included Brian Pool & The Tremeloes' "Twist and Shout", Heinz's "Just Like Eddie" and in 1964, The Rolling Stones "Heart of Stone", Marianne Faithfull's "As Tears Go By", The Nashville Teens' "Tobacco Road", Dave Berry's "The Crying Game", and Lulu's hit "Shout", The Kinks "You Really Got Me" (1964) (although there is a dispute on whether Page or Dave Davies played lead]), the guitar part on Them's "Baby Please Don’t Go" (1965), and recorded a lead guitar part on The Who's first single "I Can't Explain", although there is disagreement over whether or not it was used. In 1965 Page was hired by Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham to act as house producer for the newly formed Immediate Records label, which also allowed him to play on tracks by John Mayall, Nico, and Eric Clapton. Page also formed a brief songwriting partnership with then girlfriend, Jackie DeShannon. It is estimated that Jimmy Page appeared on 60% of rock music recorded in England between 1963 and 1966.

Moving on to the Zeppelin years, Page displays the elements that make up a great guitarist.

Soul. Check out You Shook Me on Zep’s first album. Then there’s I Can’t Quit You Baby (Zep I), Bring It On Home (Zep II), Since I’ve Been Loving You (Zep III), When The Levee Breaks (Zep IV), In My Time Of Dying (Physical Graffiti)

Pickin’. White Summer, Black Mountain (Zep I), Candy Store Rock (Presence), Hotdog (In Through The Out Door)

Tone. Here is a short list of songs that have tone that most of us would kill for. How Many More Times (Zep I), The Lemon Song (Zep II), Ten Years Gone, Tea For One, (Physical),

The Hook. Tell me these hooks don’t grab you...
    Black Dog, Rock And Roll (Zep IV), The Ocean, Dancin’ Days (Houses Of The Holy), Nobody’s Fault But Mine (Presence)

Acoustic Chops. Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You (Zep I), Ramble On (Zep II), That’s The Way (Zep III), Going To California (Zep IV), The Rain Song (Houses...), Black Country Woman (Physical...)

The Epic Ballad. Stairway To Heaven. This song has consistently ranked number one or two in the Greatest Rock Song Of All Time Poll running neck and neck with Freebird.

That leads me to Songwriting Ability. Hell, the entire Zeppelin catalog.

I know that there are a LOT of stellar guitarists out there. This isn’t to take anything away from any of them. They all have their strengths. But, as far as an overall guitarist, Page is the best by far.

He may be the Greatest Rock Guitarist of All Time.

2. DarthJeff

DarthJeff Senior Member

Have you ever heard of Jimi Hendrix?

3. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Oh you mean the dead Jimi Hendrix? Yes, I vaguely remember him. What would he have done if he were alive today? Who knows? That's kinda like saying that the guy who was winning at the third lap was the best driver even though he crashed before the race was finished.

4. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

What I like most about JP is that he's got just the right amount of slop in his playing. It really adds a lot of vibe over precision. Plus his writing is top-notch.

5. DarthJeff

DarthJeff Senior Member

Jimmy is most definitely one of the greatest of all time, along with Jimi, Jeff Beck, Clapton, Keith Richards, etc. I don't really think you can say that any of these guys is definitively the greatest ever...

6. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

+1

i can only say that JP is my favorite of the group.

7. Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre Senior Member

These threads of who was/is the greatest guitar player are a lot of fun, until they get nasty and personal. The criteria becomes speed, precision, degree of emotion or soul expressed and goes on to number and quality of songs written, produced, number of albums played on and time span of career etc. I have actually learned a lot about various players by reading them.

I am a JP fan and not enough of a connoisseur to realize how sloppy his playing is. I did see "It might get loud" recently and did realize he is one of the great elder statesmen of guitar players and rock and roll. He has contributed a lot. :applause:

8. bootlegboy1

bootlegboy1 Senior Member

In my opinion without Page the 59 burst would fetch less than 100,000 dollars

9. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Page definitely was the "hook" master of the day...His riffs were pretty cool

The best? Well I dont know who is

10. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

11. JBranch

JBranch Senior Member

Yeah, this is one of those questions without an answer, unless the answer is "X is the greatest guitarist to ME". Who is better, Vai or JP? SRV or Chet Atkins? I dunno. They're all different. If a guitarist is good enough to have developed his own style or "voice" then I'd say they're pretty awesome. Playing is subjective anyway. It's not like you can hook up a mic to a computer and spit out the answer. Who do you like? That's who is best to YOU.

12. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

*Notes Sacred Cow thread, and moves on*

:io:

13. Jon Rambo

Jon Rambo Senior Member

I also don't think you can try and disqualify Hendrix for dying :rolleyes:

14. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Glad you left some wiggle room in there by saying "may be.."

Page stopped production over thirty years ago. He was certainly one of the most popular of his era (though Clapton eclipsed him) but, like Hendrix, he died. His death was musically. There's something to be said for longevity and for musical relevance beyond your first go-round. Certainly Clapton has to be considered in that context. Jeff Beck was really good then and he's arguably gotten better since then, and both of these players have moved through genres of music as well. Townshend has certainly been the symbol of power rock through the last 40 years, but he's also a great composer. And someone not usually mentioned in this vein is McCartney, who's a better player than most people realize, but who, because of his versatility, usually gets low votes because of the attention he gets writing.

While we're looking at rock guitarists, however, I've gotta toss Neal Schon's hat in the ring. At 15, he had to flip a coin to decide whether to join Santana or Clapton, both of whom asked him to join their bands. Schon is all over Santana's third album, played with Abraxas, formed Journey with ex-Santana player Greg Rollie, formed Bad English with current Journey members Deen Castronovo and Jon Cain (featuring singer John Waite), has a number of solo albums that span genres, including working with Jan Hammer during the Miami Vice days (at least two albums of collaboration), several blues albums (find Piranha Blues and check out "Whiskey Women and Blues") a couple of New Agey things and the reformation of Journey, which just notched another platinum album (which '80's band has done THAT recently?) and has the record for the most downloaded song ever. Schon is not only still playing with fire and virtuosity, but he's still writing some pretty damned good music and is touring and playing to sold-out houses in some pretty large sheds. The number of hit songs he's been on spans 40 years and includes more different bands than you'll probably remember. I think that guy has to be considered if there's a vote to be taken...

15. DarthJeff

DarthJeff Senior Member

I wasn't the one that said that. :)

To me, Jimi is so transcendent that it shocks me to hear people talk down on him. I realize that people here feel the same about Jimmy.

16. brimay

brimay Senior Member

Brian may is the greatest gitarist ever and the beano/cream clapton is the second and so on.

Why? cos i say so. :laugh2:

17. BoxyBrown22

BoxyBrown22 Senior Member

I don't think there is a 'greatest of all time' just most influential....

To me the 'greatest' right now is Thomas Erak, listen to anything the Fall Of Troy does, it's fantastic and really outside the norm....

But talk to person B and they may say Slash, then person C will say Kurt Cobain, then person D Hendrix, person E Brian Setzer, person F Les Paul, person G Danny Gatton....

It's all opinion, and saying one person is better than another is not always the case...
    I don't think Jimmy Page could of some up with stuff like Kurt Cobain or Anthony Green or vice-versa.

18. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

"The fastest 19 year old guitar player alive!" 1969-70. I respect him-he is not the greatest-he qualifies for great.o'l

19. lpcustom69

lpcustom69 Premium Member

Jimmy is my favorite player, Jimi my second favorite. Their influence will continue to permeate rock.

20. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

Isn't he the guy endorsing that new Gibson guitar?

Serious question though: If you isolate the guitar track on a Led Zep song, what effects do you need to add to give Jimmy slashtone?