Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Nov 7, 2008.

1. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Start here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150609032908/http://wholelottaled.webs.com:80/

That's the archived version of the website that grew out of the links (now dead) in the very first posts of this thread. It moved home a few times, and eventually disappeared, but thanks to The Wayback Machine, it's still accessible.

It's better, and more accurate, than just about any other Page gear site on the web.

Lol - yes, that's pretty random! I doubt that anyone knows. Page is unlikely to remember, and his techs have changed over the years, so there isn't anyone (or at least, no-one I'm aware of) who has had continuous involvement with the guitar adn who would know something like that.

You could always blow up those close-up photos and check for nibs. I'd do it myself, but I'm visually impaired...

The JPP signature models from 2003 were very accurate by all accounts. The ones from the 1990's not really.

Again, read that link. Neither had them whilst Zep were active. #2 had all the bells & whistles (series/parallel, coil splits, phase) added in the early 1980's. From that experiment Page decided that the phase switch was all that he really used, and eventually added a single phase switch to #1.

Read the link ;)

Briefly, #1 had stock PAFs when Page got hold of it. he removed the cover from the bridge pup, revealing a double-white. That pup died in 1972, in Australia. After a brief rewind got him home it was replaced with a new Gibson T-top. That had a nickle cover to begin with, but that was removed post-Zep, revealing double black bobbins. Eventually that was replaced by a custom pup from Seymour Duncan.

Neck pickup was stock PAF for years, & is now believed to be a 1960 PAF, as DADGAD says.

By reports, #2 is louder & more aggresive. Plus the neck profile, whilst based on #1, is not so extremely slim. Many people prefer the #2 signature models for that reason.

:)

2. SickAgain

SickAgain Senior Member

Great response, but if I had to let one of my Jimmy Page Gibsons go, it's gonna be the #2 every time. The #1 is perfect.

huw, DADGAD and Boyinblack like this.
  3. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

cool thanks. At one point believe it or not. I did work my way through almost this entire thread over maybe 2 weeks...I'd finish my day, the wife would go to sleep...and I'd read this thread for an hour or two. It's been so long I have forgotten some of the stuff I'd learned. :) I found a really cool site that had some great information on his guitars (I am sure it's been shared here before) but I have it saved on my phone and right now I'm on my computer...once I am back on my phone. I try and share the link. Was a good and fairly in depth read for an online article.

DADGAD likes this.
  4. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I shorted the quote just to avoid eating up a ton of space here...thank you...going to hop on that link now (and thank you for all the other replies too!!)

5. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

This thread is a pretty comprehensive archive of Page’s gear. A lot of great contributions by all members. Learned a ton and made some friends. The one detail they didn’t dondrom te factory in 2004
    was leaving of the pointer on the neck volume knob. Easily removed but probably though people would complain one was missing instead of realizing it was an accurate detail.

Blue Blood and huw like this.
  6. joff

joff Senior Member

It is the bridge volume knob pointer that is removed...i removed it from my 2004 JP #1 Aged. :)

DADGAD likes this.
  7. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Thanks, my memory is a bit hazy on some of those things.

8. joff

joff Senior Member

When i bought my 2004 JP #1 Aged a couple of years ago, i took it to my Luthier who did a full set-up on it with a set of 9's and i accidentally asked him to remove the neck volume knob pointer...it wasn't until i got home that i noticed that something looked wrong...so i swapped it over! :doh:

Boyinblack and DADGAD like this.
  9. jimh

jimh Senior Member

I had an errand to run in Kenmore today and drove by this place. When I was a kid back in the early 80s, the owner of the Hobby Shop next door said Joe Walsh hung out there, which, I thought was really cool. I had no idea it was still around until today, it's been years since I've been to this part of town. The Lays website says its the shop where Jimmy's #1 neck was shaved down. So it is a small bit of Jimmy Page and Les Paul history. Ellis Miller, who owned the hobby shop, passed away back in the early 90's...amazingly it is still going as well.

jim

http://www.laysguitar.com/

[​IMG]IMG_8290 by jim harley, on Flickr

10. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I think that's pretty cool...saw this on my phone last night but was logged out of MLP...back tonight looking at threads...and here we are.

Been listening to these tonight as to not waste a post...really great interviews with Page that went up late last year. (both VERY long, nearly an hour each)

Blue Blood likes this.
  11. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

A few clips to share

12. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Are you one of those guys?

13. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

The fat one :laugh2:

14. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Nice job man! Rock it, rock it...:dude:

Any chance of editing the Since IBLY video so that it's not 90 degrees off?

15. JimmyAce2006

What the heck? If I recall correctly, when you were dressing up like Jimmy, weren't you a skinny dude? What happened? Did you get married or something?

You actually look a little like Jack Black these days!

Your tone sounds really good man. Yeah that was good.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  16. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

I know LOL
    I moved to TX...

JimmyAce2006 likes this.
  17. JimmyAce2006

LOL I live in Texas! Is it the Mexican food?

18. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

I think it’s the bus driving job! I’m on my butt all day and don’t get excercise like I used to :-(

I’m down in Bryan/College Station

JimmyAce2006 likes this.
  19. hecube

hecube Senior Member

I saw this post on Facebook group "Gibson vintage guitars":

[​IMG]

RevWillie and DADGAD like this.
  20. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

A couple of screen grabs from the Page Plant 1995 Irvine show. good shot of my fave Page guitar with Charlie Jones and one of the strap button on the back in case he wants to bypass the B bender.

AC98BA06-0CA7-4883-B13E-5C3265EF91E8.png
    F5E9533D-652E-4B52-9955-D1B7CF96B124.png
    6D51A9F7-8C5E-4991-9158-D1D5510B6153.png
    AE699452-E172-4202-9C07-6F89ADDBCA2F.png

Becker34 likes this.