Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

2. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

3. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Interesting how he is on the neck pickup with both necks on. The bottom toggle was the neck selector.

Blue Blood and Thermionik like this.
  4. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

5. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I had that photo of Jimmy slugging Jack in my High School Notebook right on the inside cover when you'd open it up. It made me happy every day in class to see that!! hahaha

Hey quick question for the Zeppelin/ Page experts out there. I'd heard for a long time Jimmy played (at least the solo) for Stairway on a tele.
    which one was it? Is it the Yardbirds one?

6. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Yes it was the Yardbirds Tele.

Blue Blood and Boyinblack like this.
  7. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

8. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

So, a Japanese “connection” has announced through email this-

“Immigrant Song - Special 1 Track Extremely Ltd Ed (100 Copies Only) Single Soundboard Revolution Release!
    This Single Track features for the very first and only time anywhere, the Legendary Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/29/71 Osaka!”

This, along with a single song release of Black Dog from the previous days concert (sept 28 1971) is being seen in “inner circles” as a good indication that a set of multi tracks from legendary concerts (always believed to be in the bands possesion) is being worked on for official release and bits are leaking out.

If the 50th anniversary set is indeed Japan 71, then be prepared for a treat. This is one of the eras or concert runs that Zeppelin fans feel is arguably the very best. It definitely demonstrates them with best combination of technical playing, loose atmosphere and live creativity, IMO.

A Japan 71 release would pose interesting questions regarding royalties and how that would relate to what, if anything gets cut, particularly from the whole lotta love medleys as all kinds of songs were thrown in.

indeedido likes this.
  9. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I have serious doubts about a new official release from any '71 shows.

the thing that raises the biggest doubt is, why would they release a new live album from 1971 when they just remastered how the west was won? another live release from the same era would just be a reprisal of the same sound and songs. the way they played songs from late '71 - mid '72 hardly changed at all.

to me it seems like there isn't any clear indication and this is all based on hopeful expectations of an official release. also the soundboard of /28/71 black dog has been around for nearly two years, it's not that new.

10. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

Yes I know the Black Dog is older, should’ve/meant made that more clear in my post. The thing is about why Japan when it’s so close to the American 72 tour setlist, is as my sure you know, there’s only so much multi tracked performances they have. At this point, after DVD and HTWWW have been released, there aren’t many options. For example, in the DVD or any officially released material there is Zero from 1977 because none exist.

True, an entire Earls Court could be released or anything from the Tour Over Europe 1980, but I actually think those WILL see official release, but the whole thing will be done chronologically. Jimmy releasing the Paris concert with the reissues showed that he’s relaxing his need to be able to mix and manipulate recordings to be comfortable releasing, as that wasn’t a true multi track. But it was still an FM mix which is much better than a dry 77 board tape.

For me it doesn’t matter too much as I’ve had all the Japanese shows for many years, although not in multi track quality but I will likely appreciate whatever is being worked on or “mastered” in the words of that elusive tweet by John Davis almost 6 months ago which started this speculation train.

11. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

E5930EA0-C45C-4CFE-9968-BB4AD004BCE1.jpeg This was the original, quickly deleted Davis tweet. The fact that it was accompanied by a pic of the band playing live, and that the entire studio catalog has been recently remastered led people to surmise that it must be live. This was months before any 50th anniversary plans were announced. Of course, Davis won’t answer any questions to shed light on exactly what he’s working on and why.

12. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

you are right about jimmy not being so adamant about having total control over the mix, I mean, this says it all...

just judging based on demand, what hasnt been released and what is out there, I wouldn't be surprised if seattle '77 was being remastered, either for a live album or for a dvd.

geetaruke likes this.
  13. SickAgain

SickAgain Senior Member

Planet Rock Magazine has a feature on Jimmy this month. He casts doubt on any sort of reunion (he says that time has passed, sadly)

“You’ve just got to face facts. We’ve gone past the tenth anniversary of the 02 [show], where we managed to do one serious concert. That’s the only thing that we’ve done for such a long time, so I very much doubt we’ll do anything else. I really think the time has gone.”

He also talks about forthcoming releases, including a new multi track live album (not just HTWWW!)

https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/pl...m_medium=bws&utm_campaign=planet_rock_singles

geetaruke likes this.
  14. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

awesome photo, that's how I remember concerts from the 70's, you could get real close, now ?? 10 ft high barriers ... lame

geetaruke likes this.
  15. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

Quote from Page in MUSIC WEEK interview:

“I can't give the game away, but there's a recording that’s another multi-track that we'll release,” said Page. “It's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view compared to How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same. I'm looking forward to people hearing that. There's a lot of stuff to come out, a number of releases. I'd like to say that they'll be coming out over the next 10 years. There's more to come for sure.”

http://www.musicweek.com/media/read/i-v ... bum/071473

16. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

" I'd like to say that they'll be coming out over the next 10 years." lol...sigh

17. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

What this has to do with that isn’t being mentioned is the worldwide 50 year copyright laws. So, I imagine the 10 years thing is exactly that. As all the possible copyrighted tapes etc that are out there fall into the 50 year mark, things will be released by the band rather than anyone else.

This means (I think) that even the Bill Graham tapes, or Claude Nobs tapes will see public release.

Just look at what the beach boys, Beatles, Hendrix and others have let loose at the 50 year mark.

18. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

19. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I was revisiting this today (and perfect timing with the photos above this post) a few questions for Page experts....a guitar like his #1...how many times would guess it's been refretted? It's a random thought, but I was thinking
    about how many hours of play and work that guitar has done earlier today and watching that video....I started thinking about the hardware itself....is there a standard for guitars that get that much use?

also just how slim is the neck....are there solid examples of the same specs on the tribute JP guitars Gibson has done over the years...I know (at least I think I know) each drifted a bit from what Page had...but I know
    also the guitar evolved over the years (push pull pots I believe weren't on when he was active in LZ and those are in #1 and #2??)....what pick ups are in his main #1...and would those still be the original.

I am not really knowledgable on the nuts and bolts of guitars and love to learn...so these questions are genuine@!

How different in terms of specs is #2, to #1...fun geeky Page guitar talk....(also posting that made me think. My mom remarried years back and my step dad's name is in fact Jimmy Page! hahaha (their birthdays are only 6 days apart) sadly
    he's not a big music fan I don't think. lol...) sorry just a random thought while posting this./

excited to see all the info people can share.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  20. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

There was a time when this thread was on fire and there were many, knowledgeable people around here that shared copious amounts of info about Page’s gear. I have learned most of my knowledge from this thread and the contributions. This thread has grown so large that you would need to take vacation days and read non stop to soak up all the info contained here.
    From what I remember from my conversations with people here who know people “in the know”, is that Pages neck pickup as it stands now is a Pat # pickup that replaced his last PAF somewhere in the 90’s (can’t remember late or early 90’s. Alnico 2 and approx (8.6k) as measured by Tim at Bareknuckle when he had it in his shop. Prob was measured in the circuit I am guessing. His bridge is a Duncan that was put in late 80’s IIRC. Strongly charged A5 approx 8.15k. Very similar to a Duncan ‘59. Of course that is basically just MLP anecdotal forensic work.

Boyinblack likes this.