Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Nov 7, 2008.

1. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Binky, his tech during the Black Crowes tour. The 1275 is THE doubleneck he used on StH and in the second from back, his Yardbirds era Tele.
    27072914_211193692775896_23009328846588084_n.jpg 27072734_211193689442563_6234817112567935929_n.jpg

SaltFox, DADGAD, jimh and 4 others like this.
  2. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

wow talk about serendipity. I was just coming here to ask....who was jimmy page's guitar tech in the 70's? That pic is a perfect lead in. I am just hopping in here (after a pretty long break from the forums)...so I am going to go back and few "pages" and see if this has been discussed. any insight if not would be awesome. I did google it and saw an interview with his tech from the 80's onward...but nothing seemed to come up about say....1969 to 75 etc/

3. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

Here's my two cents on Greta Van Fleet really quick because I've wanted to post about them on a few different things (youtube, some threads on FB etc)...and kind of held back./

very cool to see a band waving the LZ banner...I know they are a young band and for sure have talent and potential. I also think on the downside their music overall is pretty average and I am talking songwriting here.

safari song I think is very cool (love the vocals on it)...but honestly comparing these guys to LZ is really only going to be (a hindrance) I think while totally "obvious" and a great thing to get guys in their 40's and 50's talking about this band...is not enough to sustain
    these guys...it's like the label went...ok lets' just get this huge word of mouth thing going and I mean...you don't EVER hear a mention of the band without someone going led zeppelin this or that.

yay goal achieved...people are talking and comparing them to LZ.

I mean lyrics going on and on "mama mama" it's 2018....I think being so much of a throw back is honestly...is pretty uninteresting and totally un-relatable to anything current. Soundgarden when they first started to explode in 1989 etc...had this
    bombastic and incredible black sabbath meets led zeppelin feel...that was far more original, creative and chalked with real intrigue....and they did in fact "redefine" some wheels. I honestly thought Chris had a chance of singing on something with Page if Page ever did end up putting something new out...they'd become friends and I think Chris could have done some amazing vocals over say a few acoustic songs with Jimmy/

I think overall. GVF need to really focus on songwriting...I can't listen to more than 2 songs...and I have to turn them off...I wish them well and would LOVE a LZ inspired band that made me feel like soundgarden did for about 10 years.

GVF for me right now is not that band ...they are awkward to watch live also...so you know...put them in the oven for another year or two and I can try and come back to them.

hopefully the road will give them some depth and experience...and hey it might happen. I hope it does....I'd love 10 great albums out of them if they've got that in them/

(just my two bits not trying to start a war with any big fans of the band)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    jimh likes this.
  4. hecube

hecube Senior Member

Before Presence, are there any recorded songs in which Jimmy uses a Stratocaster?

5. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

10/17/69 earliest pictured use the black beauty on stage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Coldacre, indeedido and DADGAD like this.
  6. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

he used a strat on thank you and ten years gone.

7. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I agree. imo they jumped the gun and that will probably be their demise. they have been in the spotlight of the press for almost a year and they haven't even released an album. all they are doing is covers and singles. the fact that spotify and their label are still supporting them so much is kind of hard to believe.

I have a feeling they don't know a whole lot of theory, explaining why they are struggling to write anything unique or anything at all. at least that is the vibe I get from their music.

Boyinblack likes this.
  8. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

what was interesting to me is I had so many what I'd call "non music" friends (friends who listen to the radio while driving to work on Sirius or FM etc radio for 15 minutes a day)...going "hey have you heard this band GVF they sound just like Zeppelin!!" so I mean what their promotion team strove for did in fact work very well. And again I am not trying to rip this band to shreds...but without ghost writers right now moving forward based on what I've heard which is I think all of their original tracks....these kids have no chance of recreating anything near LZI.

It's interesting too because the old adage of "you have your whole life to write your first album and then 1 year to write your second" etc/// this is almost a reverse of that. They need MORE time to write their first album and you know...fingers crossed there's ever a second album.

Look at Van Halen 1 or LZ 1 or the first Hendrix album...or whatever...appetite for destruction from guns n roses...you don't have to be a fan of any of these bands...but the heavy hitters generally come out with a sledgehammer attack that is very cutting edge and encapsulates the times to a T/ Also nearly EVERY song on their debut is a great track. Everything has built up to this moment of arrival and it explodes. it's exciting, it changes things, it inspires.

all that said...I still really do think this song in particular is really nice sounding and seems to all click....so who knows...they might be able to work it out.
    I'd be right on board if they do.

what's funny is this has like a mix of LZ and the white stripes which in an odd way makes it work a bit better...just those little variances will be key to making it sound contemporary/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

thank you.

hey have any photos come out of the Black Beauty since it was recovered? That was about the time I left the forums it was returned to Page (maybe 2 years back?). I have googled it a few times and never seen a single recent photo
    of the guitar? Any photos of it since he got it back?

I'd love to see them!!!

10. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

ghost writers is something I never thought about. I do wonder now if they have other people helping them. it kind of seems that way.

their first single was well received but I don't know how impactful it really will be even a few months from now. as it stands now they are a one hit wonder. the fact that they haven't been able to put out an album yet just screams that they weren't ready. as you mentioned, most bands that had a huge impact came out with a powerful debut, toured relentlessly and kept the albums coming. at this point in zeps career they would have already been on their 2nd album and second tour.

things are a bit different now then they were back then but I do think the longer they take to put out an album, the more likely they will fall completely out of relevance and they will be back to square one.

one of the biggest annoyance to most zep fans is how they act as if the similarities to zep are by total coincidence but even their photos are staged to look like zep. they are posers for sure. copying the way they dressed and everything. like billie holiday said "If I'm going to sing like someone else, then I don't need to sing at all."

[​IMG]

11. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

no photos of it since he got it back. doubt there ever will be.

12. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Probably had a Floyd Rose on it when he got it back and he’s embarrassed to show it.:laugh2:

Danomyte and indeedido like this.
  13. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

14. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Joe Jammer was his 70's tech, & was responsible for almost all of the Zep era.

Tim Marten took over for the 1980 European tour, IIRC (I think I remember the date right - I don't think he was there as early as Knebworth, certainly not 1977). Anyway - he was the guy responsible for the "#1 is a 58" myth when he facilitated the famous 1982 Guitar Heroes magazine spread on Jimmy's guitars.

"BinKy" was 1990's onwards, I think, but I don't remember if he still works for JP.

:)

DADGAD likes this.
  15. duke_ford

duke_ford Member

Looks like his blue Strat to me. AFAIK, Pages YB Tele is "retired". He used the neck from it on his brown B-Bender Tele.

dsmcl77 likes this.
  16. Coldacre

Coldacre Senior Member

to me, it's all style no substance. they're making such an effort to play like Zep, Free etc... but they're not writing any actual songs. they're trying to capture something that was fresh and exciting 50 years ago. but you can't. NOBODY can. its 2018. its not a true form of artistic expression, to re-create something that was fresh & new 50 years ago. its contrived.

I can't stand them to be honest. if you wanna sound like Zep, do a tribute band. that's fine. but this is just Kingdom Come again.

VictorB likes this.
  17. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

What is old is new again. Led Zeppelin and the musicians of their era were trying to copy the American blues greats....at least that is where they started. How do you think those players and fans of that original music felt and thought about LZ's covers or Free's covers...Fleetwood Mac etc?

All these guys eventually found their own voice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    DADGAD likes this.
  18. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

the major differences are that the guys who were covering all the blues guys were doing full on covers but adding something new and a different dimension to it. that is where I think this band falls short. the music just has no personality and they are literally trying as hard as they can to copy led zeppelins energy. from their songs, they way they dress, they way they pose for pictures, how they set up on stage, ect... has anything you heard about them in the press not been a comparison to zep? because that is all I have heard.

fwiw, the original blues guys really responded to their music being cover positively aside from with zeppelin. bb king said this about peter green "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats."

Thermionik and DADGAD like this.
  19. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

I think the last part of BB King's quote is telling: "he is the ONLY one". Not sure that speaks that he thought highly of the rest at least at that time.

Look, every older generation thinks the same thing. Neal Peart comes a long and the older generation talks about Buddy Rich being much better etc.

Do I think they are primarily lifting their vibe from LZ ? Sure. But that is where bands start. They will get bored with it and start weaving in other influences and evolve into something more unique or fade away. I like that something like this has broken through because it will hopefuly create a model where this type of band (guitar driven rock) can be successful in the current age where all the "music" getting radio air play is being generated through a very small number of channels (all but a handful of the bilboard top 40 has been written by 2 people ...let that sink in).

DADGAD and Thermionik like this.
  20. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

and I did compliment some of their stuff...and said several times they are a young band. I see (this is me projecting) a lot of label pressure on them to 'deliver the goods" and make them money (them meaning the label)
    I wish them well...they have the potential to do something awesome...right now I've just found them difficult to listen to for more than a song..and trying to do 2 or 3 back to back has been impossible.

I saw this upload the other day...not from them I don't think directly...but the conversation (and my willingness to give them another chance) I went...go ahead and check out this track I didn't recognize the name.

I thought on this track the guitarist sounded really good. But the overall sound of the song...I couldn't make it through the entire thing and I did try.

:)

I did just listen to the full thing...cool song...I'd for sure check it out if you like the band.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018