Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

from the looks of it he was not very picky about what beer he drank.

jimmy playing a strat
    [​IMG]

mrfett likes this.
  2. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

IMG_3746.JPG IMG_3749.PNG The Jimmy Page 2004 run had a pickguard with two holes in it. It was to replicate Page's actual guitar. It was sort of baffling as to why it had an extra hole drilled. looking at a Live Aid photo, you can see he has what looks to be a larger bracket thus he used a drilled out hole to mount the pickguard in roughly the original spot. It's a pretty big bracket. Gibson replicated the extra hole but used a regular sized bracket.

Attached Files:

huw and mrfett like this.
  3. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

back in the 70's a lot of guitar techs didnt think things through very much leading to very crude repairs like the one above haha. the first hole probably just got stripped out so they re drilled a new one but drilled through the bracket so the pickguard stayed in the same place.

DADGAD likes this.
  4. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

Newly released pic showing the burst!

[​IMG]

Howard2k, mrfett, musicmaniac and 3 others like this.
  5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Senior Member

Not a Strat. Some Japanese cheapy " strung with piano wire" used by Page and Plant in some bar in Bombay.

mrfett likes this.
  6. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Thing I like about the Australian tour video and pics is it was during the day - and some video shows more of the stage floor equipment than we normally see - just nice to see what things were like for Jimmy whilst he was skipping around the stage doing Chuck Berry impersonations :)

Blue Blood, mrfett and DADGAD like this.
  7. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Pic from the stage [​IMG]

8. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

pick guardless No. 1.

IMG_3770.JPG

Blue Blood, ajory72 and mrfett like this.
  9. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

Have we discussed this Tele already (stole the image from an Eventide post)?
    [​IMG]

Blue Blood likes this.
  10. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

It's the Brown B Bender Tele before the neck was replaced with one with a rosewood board.

mrfett, DADGAD and Blue Blood like this.
  11. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

What's the arrow pointing to? Can't quite make it out.

mrfett likes this.
  12. mrfett

Some old Eventide Harmonizer thing.

13. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

I'm thinking its probable that Jimmy loved his teles more than his Bursts, since losing the Custom in the 1960's, he seems to play Teles a lot throughout his career. So much so that i'm starting to think of him more as a tele guy! [though no-one could wield a Les Paul like Jimmy] Though in saying that he has wavered towards Gibson when playing live in the last 2 decades, perhaps he prefers the tele at home?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    DADGAD and mrfett like this.
  14. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

In a 1998 Guitar World interview, Jimmy Page said the following about the fate of the “Dragon” Telecaster.

“I still have it (referring to the Dragon Tele), but it’s a tragic story. I went on tour with the ’59 Les Paul that I bought from Joe Walsh, and when I got back, a friend of mine had kindly painted over my paint job. He said, ‘Ive got a present for you.’ He thought he had done me a real favor. As you can guess, I wasn’t real happy about that. His paint job totally screwed up the sound and the wiring, so only the neck pickup worked. I salvaged the neck and put it on my brown Tele string bender that I used in the Firm. As for the body… it will never be seen again! (laughs)”

mrfett likes this.
  15. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

awesome photo from the early days
    [​IMG]

mrfett and Blue Blood like this.
  16. electricfactory

electricfactory Senior Member

This right here is one hell of a picture, more ultra cool gear in this pic than you can shake a stick at..

mrfett likes this.
  17. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

IMG_3483.PNG

mrfett likes this.
  18. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

I've been meaning to do this for a while...

The very first post in this thread held links to an awesome website of Page Guitar Data. The site has moved a number of times over the years, and we've always tried to update this thread with the latest links.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, the site has been down for a long time, and the information looked to be lost. I was sad at this, but at least I'd read it - some folks have never had the chance to.

Enter "The Wayback Machine" :)

Homepage:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150609032908/http://wholelottaled.webs.com:80/

Guitars:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150619175406/http://wholelottaled.webs.com/guitars.htm

Effects:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150607193141/http://wholelottaled.webs.com:80/effects.htm

Amps & Cabs index:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150707025814/http://wholelottaled.webs.com:80/ampsandcabs.htm

(From that index page you can access individual pages for all the items listed - did you think I was going to do all the work? :laugh2: )

All together now : "Right click, save as, download to hard drive".

Enjoy :cheers:

19. mrfett

:bowdown

huw likes this.
  20. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

so, jimmy began using these cabs in june of 1969. note the slight discoloration in the top left corner of both cabinets.
    [​IMG]

that is the early "100" marking you find on early marshall 100w cabs that had the 25w g12h.
    [​IMG]

apparently marshall continued to use the "100" logo into 1969 after the g12hs went from 25w to 30w

I have read that the speakers in jimmys cabs were the 75hz 30w g12h's and I have read that they are actually the 55hz 25w g12h's and that they were most likely the 55hz 30w g12h's.

since jimmy bought the cabs (presumably new/newish) during the transition period, one can't necessarily say for sure but it does seem most likely that they would be the 30w g12h's.

anyone have more definitive info on this?

DADGAD and mrfett like this.