Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Jimmy's Botswana brown tele again
    [​IMG]

1966 Tele. generally used as a backup, used on "Walking into Clarksdale"
    [​IMG]

1957 Strat.
    [​IMG]

1964 Lake placid blue strat used on "In the evening", "Over the hill and far away", + a few other songs.
    [​IMG]

1965 Fender XII, "Stairway to heaven" studio recording twelve string.
    [​IMG]

mrfett likes this.
  3. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

I don't hear a 12 string on the studio recording........??????? Are you sure about that?

4. JimmyAce2006

Man, I can not believe that you posted pics of all those Fenders on the mylespaul forum!!

5. TnT~55

TnT~55 Senior Member

There is, that's why he bought the double neck. So he could switch from 12 string to 6 string live without having to pause and switch guitars.

6. JimmyAce2006

I knew he bought the double neck so that he could easily switch from 12 to 6 strings, but I thought it was only because he wanted to play it live that way. He bought the double neck a little later, I believe, and had more of a need to switch from 12 to 6 strings with the Houses of the Holy songs. (Maybe Tech can chime in here as to when the double neck was purchased.) I have never seen any documentation stating that there is a 12 string on the studio recording, and I can not hear one.

7. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Well it is the history of Jimmy's guitars :thumb: I cannot recall a date of purchase for the XII, but production started in 65 and stopped in 70, so any time between that time frame probably. The ESD-1275 was bought in 1971 for live purposes and was not used on any recordings until it made an appearance on "Please read the letter".

The XII is in the back of the mix panned to the right, It fills out the sound of the acoustic and enters at around 2:14.

8. ledzeppy

ledzeppy Member

There's definitely a 12 string on Stairway. There may be an interview where he mentions actually using a 12 string for it but when the double neck was brought up he explained "having" to get it to play it live. The double neck made it's first appearance on 3/5/71 for the first appearance of Stairway live. Houses of the Holy had nothing to do with him buying it, this was at least a year prior to any known recording sessions for Houses of the Holy.

9. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

:hmm:

Actually it's on In Through The Out Door as well.

10. ledzeppy

ledzeppy Member

Carouselambra!

11. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Oh, and he used the 12 string neck to double a part on Waiting On You from the Coverdale Page album too.

Nearly forgot that one! ;)

12. Nigel Tufnel's tech

That is a rumour and can not be substanciated,

(quote)... "I don't think I've ever used it on a recorded....until now, that is. The solo on Please read the letter is played on the twelve string of the double-neck. I tried my Fender XII but this sounded better...sounded great! (Jimmy Page. April 1998.)

13. ledzeppy

ledzeppy Member

IIRC the Dave Lewis book mentions the double neck being used for Carouselambra, forget what else was said I just remember it mentioning the double neck being used for Carouselambra. I'll have to dig my copy out, I swear there was another book that mentioned the Danelectro being used on Nobody's Fault But Mine. Of course it's not the gospel!

Not convinced from Page's qoute though either. He "thought" he used a Super Beatle on LZII turns out it was a UL4120. He mixes up things at times, plus keep in mind when Carouselambra was recorded, late '78, the "H Bomb" era for Page.

14. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Nige, whatever you may think about the ITTOD sessions, the use of the double neck on the Coverdale Page album is supported by a very clear & specific quote from Page himself.

His memory must have failed him when he was doing the WIC interview, that's all. :)

15. Nigel Tufnel's tech

I should change the statement "can not be substantiated" to "not been substantiated". I have seen in print on many occasions that it was suposed to have been played on Carouselambra but always with the word rumoured before it. The Fender XII was also used on When the Levee breaks.

16. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Do you have a link to that quote or maybe a scan you can download for me? I would like to read that if you can, I am not really up on all the studio gear Jimmy used while with David Cover-version :naughty:. All i can recall is that song was in DGDGBD tuning.

17. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

The magazine is in my "archive" - & my kids are asleep!

I'll dig it out tomorrow.

18. Nigel Tufnel's tech

No problem huw,... Cheers.

19. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

"David Cover-version"

...yer killin me here

love this kinda stuff...

20. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Morning!

As promised, from the May 1993 Guitar World...

[​IMG]

There's a lot of gear info, but this is the relevant quote:

GW: What tuning did you use for the slide guitar parts on "Waiting on you"?

Page: That's not a slide guitar.

GW: What?

Page: (laughs) You've got the right idea, but I'm not playing slide - it's the Whammy Pedal again! I wanted to play a slide part, but I didn't want to be restricted to an open tuning. So I used the Whammy to imitate a slide. It's a lovely unit, that Whammy Pedal.

The basics on that track were played on a Strat-type Jackson, then I doubled the "slide" parts with the 12-string half of my Gibson EDS-1275 double-neck.

If you can find an old copy of that magazine, it's one that's well worth reading.

:cool: