Jimmy Page gets his 1960 Gibson Les Paul Custom back.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by eric ernest, Feb 29, 2016.

1. AlienVintage

AlienVintage Senior Member

Wonder if we will ever see this guitar make a public appearance - would be really cool...

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Any word on Jimmy showing the guitar ?
    I got him on FB but there aren't many updates there

3. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

And Bolan's LP iirc.

4. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Interesting because several years ago I was selling my old shovelhead harley and a gent drove down from N.Dakota to pick it up. During our loading he noticed some guitars and cases in my shop area and we started talking about music in general , he leans in and states" You know that black guitar that was stolen from Jimmy Page ?" I replied yes , well he proceeded to tell me it was his friend that did it and the guitar had been at his house ever since, interesting to say the least but I didn't not believe him as this was a non guitar related transaction and he had no real idea who I was at the time. Anyway I blew it off but stayed in contact with the gent as he was going to fully restore my old scooter and send pics at alater date. Long story short , one day I get a email from his sister with pictures of my old bike and a back story of the gents passing away from cancer and her riding the bike cross country in his remembrance, so I had to ask about a certain "guitar story" he had told me....no reply.....several days later she calls from a private number and states the guitar story was real and he must have really liked me because no one knew about this other than him and the guy who stole the guitar, and yes she had seen the guitar, I tried to get her to place me in touch with this "guy" and tell her it should be returned to Jimmy . The story was these 3 young teens just happened to see some guitars and amps and one just grabbed the closest guitar case and ran , not knowing who or what it really was until some time later when the theft was published , needless to say the thief was scared shitle** and never spoke of it to anyone and hid the guitar away..... So I would be very interested in the recovery back story to see if this was true or not... Let me be clear though, I never saw the guitar,never saw a picture of it and could not confirm the existence of the story, BUT if you do a search (I believe in JP history of his guitars thread) you will see I posted to the hint of this story a few years before the guitar story surfaced in 2016.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Who, Blue Blood, DADGAD and 5 others like this.
  5. hoss

hoss Senior Member

GREAT story, Greg. Thanks for sharing!

Greg's Guitars likes this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I wonder if the teens really "didn't know". Back then Pagey's guitar cases had "Led Zeppelin" stencilled on them. I think Page admitted that was a bad idea. How do you go about returning a guitar you stole from one of the most famous Guitarists as a teen?

Great story Mal. If it's true, goes to show how small a world it is.

Greg's Guitars and mrfett like this.
  7. Phil52

Phil52 Senior Member

Yes, back in the days these thefts happened, 'cause sometimes it was pretty easy to come close to the instruments. I remember in the late 60ies, 1968 or '69, I attended a Festival and the late Alexis Korner went with me backstage where I met the original Fleetwood Mac and Free. Several guitars were sitting on some stools or on the floor or wherever and nobody had an eye on them. The guitar I was most interested in was the one that Jeremy Spencer had played in the gig before. From remembering I think it must have been a Gibson ES 175, very shiny so I think it had humbuckers. Well, I'm going off topic here, sorry for that, but I just wanted to say that back in these days it wasn't that difficult to grab and run. Oh, and of course I never did.