Jim Rolph 58 Pretenders delivered to the UK

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bigmerle, Aug 25, 2017.

1. bigmerle

bigmerle Junior Member

He seems to have a slight reputation as a bit of a character so I though some of you may be interested to know I have received a set of Jim Rolph Pickups direct from him to me in the UK. Before I placed the order I read about his website not working and that he mainly did business over the phone, which would have made things a bit tricky.
    I actually sent an email to the address on the website and got a reply the next day. We exchanged a few more working out the details and I sent him a PayPal payment. Pretty much exactly a month later they arrived.

It was a very smooth and professional process.

I can't comment on the tone yet as I'm working today so won't get chance to install until the weekend.

2. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I have a set of Rolph '59 Pretenders and they are the PAFs by which I judge all other pickups. They have a clarity without any trace of harshness that sets them apart from other PAF clones. I think you'll love them. I am curious about how old Jim Rolph must be... he seems to have been doing this for a very, very long time.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  3. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Bigmerle, Dilver - can you give me the specs on the 58 & 59 Pretenders. I heard a clip on YT where a guy compares the Rolphs to the Holmes pickups through a Ceriatone and the Rolphs kill the Holmes, which was quite a surprise !

4. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I've never tried any Rolphs, but the Holmes never really "talked to me" like the Electric City Pickups Freedom did. The Holmes were ok, but I didn't find'em inspiring at all.

HTH,

5. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

7.4 neck, 8.0 bridge, low wind. Not sure what mag he uses.

6. Vash854

Vash854 Junior Member

I'm curious, if you don't mind answering, on the Freedom set, does the bridge pickup have that angry vocal barking sound when you dig into the strings but with really warm sustain?

I hope that description makes sense, that's how I hear the Kossoff tone, very vocal warm sound with that somewhat compressed chirpy attack when you hit hard, its like both thin and fat sounding all in one to me.

7. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Congrats on the Rolphs. I have to get a set at some point. I've listened to samples of every PAF clone around it seems, but the Rolphs always stand out as the quintessential sound when I think PAF.

8. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I don't think I can honestly answer that question as I've personally never been asked to replicate Kosoff's sound in any project I've been involved with, although the Freedom bridge p'up's inherent tone footprint has allowed me to dial-in patches with either my modeler or valve rig, that somehow could resemble your description, but what I can tell you with certainty is that that p'up will cut-through any dense mix like a knife in butter without ever being shrill, that you'll find yourself using less gain that you thought was humanly possible and that sustain is simply off-the-charts.

HTH,