Jet will do anything to sign Kirk Cousins, but they still won't get him.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NRBQ, Mar 8, 2018.

1. electric head

electric head Just passing thru Premium Member

The redskins screwed up years ago with Cousins and it was a pretty much done deal that he was not going to sign with the redskins no matter what.

They could not even manage to pronounce his first name right half the time.

rxbandit, Caleb and tazzboy like this.
  2. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

I'm going out on limb here and Say Cousin will sign with Denver Broncos.

3. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

That made me laugh every time.

electric head likes this.
  4. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

No franchise trys harder than the Bears to suck.

5. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I don't know, the Browns are pretty good at sucking. They suck so bad they don't even have a logo. Just a shit brown helmet.

6. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Sam Iron Knees Bradford is your QB for the Jets this season....well for some quarters at least.

Marshall & Moonshine and S. Rock like this.
  7. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

No I don't think Chief Squeaky Bad Knees is in the Jets future, at least not as anything more than a mentor to their first round QB from this years upcoming draft (assuming they miss out on the Cousins sweepstakes). If they don't get Cousins they'll do what they have to do to get one of the top four QBs in this years draft. They have the position picking 6th and lots of draft ammunition to go get their guy, and they will, they have to pay the price whatever it is.

I really like this Baker Mayfield guy, he's 6'1" and he's cocky. He and the strong armed Allen were the only two at the combine that threw for 60 mph in Feb. I like him, you have to have some swagger to play in NY, it's a pressure cooker, lots of people, lots of media all the time, this guy thrives on it. And I don't think 6'1" is too short, not at all, what's his face from the Seahawks is only 5'11" Drew Breeze is 5'2" and he made it, so no worries there. Any one of the BIG FOUR QB's and I'll be happy, at least we got one, and we'll see how it goes from there.

8. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

well, Cousins is signing with the Vikings. and the kid that got the Vikings to the play offs this year is going to Denver.

oh, Drew Breeze is closer to 6 foot than 5'2".

9. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

And if I'm not mistaken, the Jets are going to sign ex Viking Teddy Bridgwater. Ring around the Rosy. My guess is the Jets will still make sure to draft one of the top four QB's in this years draft. Bridgwater has injury concerns and isn't a sure fire thing so a draftin we will go. Hey Jets, go out and draft that Mayfield guy, or the other ones, whatever, take one for F's sake!

electric head and S. Rock like this.
  10. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I'd like the Jets to trade up right now to three or four from pick six in the upcoming draft. The Bills are moving hell and high water to get up N close to the top pick, the Jets can't afford to be lax and have a wait and see approach. Get up there and secure a pick that guarantees the team lands a top QB prospect.

11. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

yeah, they announced the Cousins deal this morning up here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. haven't even heard anything about Bridgewater. he was the Vikings "Star" and got hurt. then Sam Bradford was the "Star". he got hurt. and then the kid stepped in and took them to the playoffs. if it'd been me, I'd kept the kid(I can't think of his name) and built the team around him.

12. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

They're say Bridgewater going to the Bills

13. electric head

Pretty much works out to 1.75 million a game for the next 3 years.
    Hate too see him go but personally that's a team killer money wise IMO.

He is a great quarterback but I just do not see him going all the way.
    I saw every game he has played for Washington and he had his moments but also had plenty of WTF moments also.

Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully guaranteed $84 million contract with the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

I don't see how it's a 'team killer.' Sam Bradford was making $20M a year which is about $1.25M a game. Then you add what the Vikings were paying Bridgewater and Keenum and you're over $1.75M a game for all three.

The money is astronomical for QBs but it's only going to keep going up. Once Rodgers renegotiates his deal, his money will move the needle that much further.

I'm a Vikings fan and was really hoping they were going to keep Keenum, but I'm happy with the Cousins move (given it's a done deal, which it appears to be) - especially after seeing this from ESPN:

[​IMG]

15. electric head

Its that 3 year guarantee that would keep me up at night.
    You guys are a playoff team right now,what happens if you finish say 8 and 8 next year?
    We are used to losing, so for us it was always "well there is always next year":hmm:

Like I said I liked Cousins and would have liked to see him re-sign here. We pretty much knew he was not going to and that he was going to try and be the first to get the whole amount of the contract guaranteed and truely test the market.Which it looks like he has accomplished.
    I can tell you this much, he will bring some big time excitement to the Vikings as you can see he can put up some stats and his games are never boring.

16. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

The money figure is large but the real story is that it's the first full guaranteed contract of its size. Huge precedent.

17. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

Jets should sign Vinny Testaverde for $700 per game and use the savings to rebuild their O-line.

And LB crew.
    And Receivers.
    And RB
    And safeties.
    And Kicker
    And D line
    And QB coach
    And TE

And Center

18. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Look, the Vikings have a championship caliber defense. I know they didn't really show that in the NFC Championship game, but the entire team came out flat. Every other game they were dominant this season. They have an above average to very good offense. The window of opportunity is now for them, and those windows don't stay open long.

You can disagree with the move, or say it's too much money, but he would have gotten that deal (or something even more absurd) from about three other teams. At least ownership is taking a shot at winning now.

Keep in mind, MN taxpayers just helped fund a $1B + stadium for this team. That was not a popular decision here, trust me. At least ownership is putting money back into the team - unlike some other local teams I can think of (Twins).

19. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

One thing you can say about Cousins is that he's a F'n bum! Yeah that's right, ,he's a bad person, eats babies. Yup, great, so that's it then, off to the draft for a young one.

20. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Born and raised in Cleveland. The Browns suck so bad I don't think I can stand it anymore. My mom tells me I have to keep watching the games because someone has to support them, but I just don't care anymore.