Jet will do anything to sign Kirk Cousins, but they still won't get him.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NRBQ, Mar 8, 2018.

1. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Jets fan, everyone knows that the Jets are in desperate need for a franchise QB, Kirk Cousins would be a good fit, they have the money (gobs of it) but the Vikings and the Bronco's want him too. If you were Cousins would you sign with the Jets? F no, hell NO, remember Neal O'Donnell, the Vikes are a QB away from a title, that's where he's going. The Jets will end up drafting the QB that's "left" on the board and miss out on the top two QB's, mostly because of that fantastic three game win streak they had this past season, useless meaningless wins for a team that's never bad enough to get that first pick, and never good enough to compete for the playoffs on a regular basis.

What a drag it is being green, I hear every mother say!

2. BangoFan

BangoFan Senior Member

He's signing up with the Cardinals.

pnuggett likes this.
  3. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

My question is, why would you want him? Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen will be there, you could draft a franchise QB, save yourself 30 million a year and use that money to load up on other positions and go on a run.

4. electric head

electric head Just passing thru Premium Member

The one problem going to minn is the coach is a defensive minded guy and after paying cousins all that money he will not have much left. So right from the start he better play damn good. That coach it seems has no problem throwing the QB under the bus. Denver's window is closing also and once again after paying cousins all this money how do they resign anyone. I liked cousins quite a bit but not really sad to see him go. Look what happened to Baltimore after resigning Flacco and paying him all that money. They suck.
    These QB's are working their way up to 2 million a game and that's crazy.

defcrew likes this.
  5. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Well guess there's two ways to look at it, the Jets will soon have over $100,000 (cue Dr. Evil) so they can sign Cousins and front load his deal and still have no problems signing two or three more top tier free agents this off season. Then they have the sixth pick, two second rounders, 3rd.4th in the Draft, so they could be a pretty good team pretty fast with Cousins who is ready to start day one.

The other is draft a young QB and groom him for the future, thing is the Jets GM has whiffed twice with the Jets with a 2nd and 4th round pick, so there's no guarantee that it would or will work out if they do draft one. If they miss out on Cousins, they will either trade up, or draft one at 6 no doubt about it, the Jets will have a new QB this season. But this way they have to use that top pick on a QB no choice.

6. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I don't understand the ruckus surrounding that guy. Cousins just seems like a middle of the road QB. He's not bad, but he's not great either. He's like Phillip Rivers. He's good enough to keep your expectations up, but never good enough to live up to them. :laugh2:

Rotorhead and defcrew like this.
  7. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I don't even watch college football but this is my guy
    [​IMG]

8. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Truth is there just aren't many top 10ish QB's that get to complete free agency which makes it a bit rare to be available for a QB hungry league. The Jets have whiffed so many times it's not even funny, Cousins would be ready to start and the Jets could then focus on other free agents and using that top 6 pick on another position. Listen being a Jets fan as it concerns our QB situation is like being on a dessert island with no drinkable water in sight, we'll do ANYTHING to get a QB, we're desperate, really desperate. At least Cousins has a proven record, and that'll go nice with the Vikes or Cardinals, or Broncos, maybe the Jets but I'm not counting on it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Uncle Remus likes this.
  9. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Well if they're that desperate, there's always Kaepernick...

Caleb likes this.
  10. electric head

His stats actually put him in the top 10 QB's I think. Being a life long Redskins fan he was the first guy in many years that actually put us in pretty much every game the last 3 years.
    Well we did have RG111 for a year.:hmm:
    I actually think the jets would be a good fit for Cousins as long as he is willing to wait a few years to get to the playoffs. The jets have some good pieces and they are a young team and could build around him.

11. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I'm curious what happens to Nick Foles. The Eagles want to be a Carson Wentz team, but how ya going to cut the dang Super Bowl MVP that brought you a championship?

Caleb likes this.
  12. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

Phillip Rivers is an excellent quarterback, the Chargers' struggles are not due to him at all imo

13. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Meh. He's got good stats. But 4th quarter, game on the line, he sure wouldn't be my first choice for QB.

defcrew likes this.
  14. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I thought Kap already had another gig :laugh2:

[​IMG]

15. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

24 4th quarter comesbacks, 28 game winning drives seems pretty good to me..

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=RivePh00

I think Rivers gets unfairly shit on constantly, he is an excellent quarterback. Definitely not the problem on that team.

Fracture, PeteK and electric head like this.
  16. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

available

[​IMG]

6' 6" statue

The three-year, $45 million deal Chicago handed Glennon was an expensive proposition given that he had thrown a total of 11 regular-season passes since the 2014 season.

Now that the Bears have announced they will release Glennon, it's become an even more expensive proposition. He started a grand total of four games for the Bears in his only season with the team, posting a 1-3 record while leading Chicago to an average of 15 points per game.

After just those four starts, Chicago decided the time was now to hand over the starting job to Trubisky. This made it abundantly clear that Glennon's tenure in the Windy City would soon come to an end. That end came on Wednesday.

Chicago ultimately paid out $18.5 million to Glennon for four starts. It also took a $4.5 million dead cap hit this offseason by releasing him. Those are some staggering numbers. And they tell us a story of a front office — led by general manager Ryan Pace — that panicked once the team decided to move on from longtime starter Jay Cutler.

In the end, Glennon's tenure in Chicago will be defined by these eye-opening numbers.

17. electric head

It blows me away that teams can spend that kind of money on players and its turns to hell.
    You can bet if I make a decision that costs my company a few thousand dollars my ass will be on the hot seat.
    These guys cost their teams millions of dollars and it seems like its "oh well,life goes on"...
    let's go spend some more money...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    HeartString and NewDayHappy like this.
  18. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

How often do the real big free agent contracts pan out? Usually 2-3 years later the team is trying to dump their salary. :laugh2:

HeartString and electric head like this.
  19. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I heard that he'd fallen and he couldn't get up.

20. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

I ask myself this: If Cousins is so good why didn't Washington keep him? The money being thrown at basically unproven QBs is just crazy. But the hard truth allegedly is you cannot win without a franchise QB although the Eagles just won with someone who was expendable multiple times...like that guy, Kurt Warner. Unless you have a truly transcendent QB you're not going to win until you get everything else fixed. Bowles has done OK in NY but nothing about that team tells me they are one player away from the SB.

PeteK and Caleb like this.