Jazz bass series wiring with induvidual volumes - possible?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by jokun, Feb 4, 2012.

1. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Hey, folks!
    I'm trying to get more punch and volume out of my jazz bass and I read about the series wiring and decided it was the way to go.
    I realized that most people just bypass one of the volume knobs and use the other one as a master volume, but I don't want to lose the oppurtunity to balance between the pickups.
    I tried using this diagram: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/walterw2/JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.jpg, but I can only control the volume of the bridge pickup and the neck pickup is allways on. Is this because of the diagram, or have I done something wrong?
    Is it even possible to do this?

Also: I don't want to by anymore parts, if else I would have used a blend knob and a master volume. And I don't use a switch.

Thanks!
    Håkon

2. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

they come wired that way, you would have had to rewire them
    to end up with that problem.
    I have always had seperate volumes for my Jazz pu's so you can
    get a good balance, thats the way they are originaly wired

I read up on the series wiring and this is what one of the guys said about it.

"I have just modified my Jazz bass. Basically, jazz bass pickups are wired in parallel, which contributes
    to the distinctive sound of the think. Series wiring, on the other hand, gives a punchier, bassier sound and
    higher output. The disadvantage of series wiring of jazz bass pickups is that..it doesn't really sound like a
    jazz bass any more
    . It is less flexible, you can't play the pickups off against each other, and so on."

3. jokun

jokun Senior Member

I know they have seperate volumes when they are wired i parallel, but I wonder if it's possible to have seperate volumes when it's wired i series.
    And I have no problem with it not sounding like a jazz bass any more... ;)

4. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

well seems like they would work against each other of you
    have seperate volumes in series, if you turn one down it will
    also reduce the output of the others, see what i mean?
    There may be a better way of doing it, maybe buy using a three way switch?
    Check around the bass forums maybe someone has a better
    method of it

What i did was bought higher output pickups, you can retain the
    wiring but still have a fatter output

5. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Thanks guys! I now realize that it is impossible to have seperate volume controls.
    Jonesy: What will happen to the volume controls when you pull the switch? I was not planning on getting more parts, but it if will work that way, I will consider it...

On the other hand; Is it possible to have one volume knob for neck volume and one master? Can anybody draw a quick wiring diagram/schematic?
    Again: Thanks guys!

7. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU

When the pickups are in parallel you will have separate volume controls. When they are in series they actually run through each other basically how the two coils of a humbucker are wired. So with the switch out and the pickups in series I think just one volume controls both like a master volume.

8. jokun

jokun Senior Member

So i have searched the web some more and found this schematic: Wiring Diagram
    I have tried using that to make a schematic where I can have a master volume, a volume for the neck pickup and a tone control. Can you take a look at it and see if it will work?

Attached Files:

9. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

If you have some spare time, bring forth the soldering iron and try it out yourself ;)
    It´s a great way to learn.
    Couldn´t tell were all wires were running but it might work.
    Håkon? Are you Swedish?

10. jokun

jokun Senior Member

I just tried it and it didn't work...
    The knob that originally worked as a volume for the neck, works as a master volume now(Like it should) and the tone control works just fine.
    However, the bridge volume(who was now supposed to be neck volume...) did not do anything at all... Do any of you see what is wrong?

MrRhoads: Why can't you see where the wires go? Is it the picture? I can probably draw a better one if that is the problem...
    And I'm from Norway btw... ;) (Which explains my horrible english...)

11. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

It seemed like the black wires from the pickups merged together so it was impossible for to tell which pickup wen´t to which pot.
    Norway :) well then you´re a neighbour...

By the way, just one more month until "Vasa Loppet" :D

12. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Yeah, the two black wires goes to the same place... Thats why I drew it like they merged together. As far as I'm concerned, that is what makes them being in series, isn't it?

And you are probably right about vasa loppet too, but I'm no skier and don't really follow all that stuff... ;)

13. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I see you already have your answer, so I have nothing to offer, but to say I have a series/parallel switch on my Jazz bass, and I love it, I use that setting more than any other probably. The lack of individual volumes doesnt bother me much, since I usually prefer the neck pickup anyways, and just dial in the amount of bridge I want

1 person likes this.
  14. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Well, I don't exactly have my answer yet... I can't make the neck volume work as it should.
    It's good to know that at least it's going to sound good when I'm done! ;)

15. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

16. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Well, working as it should means that the neck volume would be the master volume for both pickups (and the bridge volume will still effect the bridge pickup) What it sounds like you want to do, individual volume controls while in series mode, isn't a standard configuration for pickups wired in series, and from my admittedly limited understanding, isn't possible (I have 2 guitars wired as such in addition to my bass) I hope you can find what you're looking for :thumb:

17. jokun

jokun Senior Member

I went over all my solderjoints today(and I switched the white and black wire from the bridge pickup, but I don't know if that affected anything...) and now it works almost as it should!
    For some reason the knob which used to be the bridge volume now acts as an on-off switch for the neck. It was supposed to be a volume for the neck, but I will just leave it as it is for now.
    Thanks for the help, guys!