Jay Turser Les Paul Standard Copy?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by josephchoi, Jul 22, 2010.

1. josephchoi

josephchoi Senior Member

How would you rate these? Anybody have a copy? perhaps a review? How do they stack up? Alright guitars, or total trash? Playable, maybe for practice? I've recently got one, since I'm a. broke, b. I don't feel I have the experience to really try my hand at a legit gibson (I've only really started playing in january, though I did play for a few months 7 years ago)...

I think they're alright. Very light, it's not the greatest guitar in the world, but I like it so far, and I don't mind playing with it. Anybody with a more informed opinion care to weigh in on this possibly? Thank you!

2. blink75

blink75 Senior Member

post a pic!

3. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

A touch lesser quality than Epiphone guitars...

With a good setup, they will play just fine.

4. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

What Dice said....

5. Annoying Twit

Annoying Twit Senior Member

I don't claim expertise, but I played one of these once. Back to back with a Chinese Tokai ALS48. I preferred the Tokai. Not back to back, but I think my Vintage V100 is better than the Jay Turser I played.

6. josephchoi

josephchoi Senior Member

Thank you all for the input! I guess considering I only paid about 150 new I didn't do too bad!

7. Maynar

Maynar Remember when you were young? Premium Member

My employer sells the Turser line, I'm afraid they're pretty cheap and that's reflected in the construction and materials. Sorry. You'd be much better off with a Vintage.

8. josephchoi

josephchoi Senior Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to post my Jay Turser LP Standard copy... Cherryburst. I've messed around with it, and I'm honestly pretty happy with how it plays and sounds. Not Great or anything, but it's pretty good especially for the amount I paid, which was only about $145.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

Nowhere near as nice as an Agile at a similar price. I played one and was not impressed at all.

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Not worth the paper mache they are made from.

11. lpplayer

lpplayer Senior Member

I recently got one really cheap. My intention was to get a project guitar where I can learn how to rewire, pickup replacement, etc.

I dont want to slam the guitar too bad.....but a "project" it is.

Small size pots, really cheap pickup switch and jack. Bridge and tailpiece really cheap. The nut is too high.

I expected all this though. On the plus side, the fretwork is very nice for this inexpensive guitar, and the finish is very nicely done. Also, the stock pickups were surprisingly nice sounding- I actually thought these would be the worst component of all. The tuners are the typical economy type, and so far they are doing their job.

After I put fresh strings on and did a setup, it is a passable guitar for messing around on.

I am planning on going to guitarfetish.com to do some shopping- GFS pickups (havent decided what kind yet) Les Paul electronics replacement kit, and Orange Drops, and replacement bridge and tail. I'll see how bad I screw it up LOL!

Will post pics at some point soon....my guitar looks different than josephchoi's pics- my guitar has less of a hump on the headstock and the cutaway isnt as sharp.

12. jeego

jeego Junior Member

I think Jay Turser is owned by the same company that owns Washburn, right?

13. Maestro and the Muse

Maestro and the Muse Senior Member

I was told by Rondomusic that Jay Turser was SX's way into Canada, since they couldn't get the SX stuff here for one reason or another. Their stuff seems on par with the SX Les Paul I had way back when.

On the note of GFS pickups, they tend to do warm really well. Pickups I can recommend:
    - Classic IIs if you want the Gibson '57 classic sound
    - Vintage 59's for a SD '59 sort of sound, but warmer. A5 magnets
    - For a P90 in a HB routing, their mean 90s are killer.

The 2 HBs have excellent coil tapping ability, and the tapped coil sounds great.

Maestro

14. lpplayer

lpplayer Senior Member

Very interesting info there.

The Vintage 59's are a possibility, its either those or a set of Fat PAT's....I had them in another guitar and they were great.

15. Alienlovr

Alienlovr Junior Member

Ok personally these guitars are pieces of art. I own two and the both costed around $350 used. I love them I'm recording an album with my Jay Tursers and it produces a bawlzy sound I love. So it just depends, buy a cheap one and you'll get a pile, spend a little and you'll get Wang you want and more.

16. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

yup they own Parker Guitars, Oscar Schmidt, Hagstrom, and Washburn
    nothing to do with SX or Rondo

17. Tarheel72

Tarheel72 Junior Member

18. gearhead63

gearhead63 Member

I've got a JT220 Cherry Sunburst with Mighty Mite MB's, and it JAMS! Plays as well as ANY of the Gibson LP's I've ever had! Really good guitar for the money! And it' NOT press board or plywood! Mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck.

[​IMG]

19. MrYeats

MrYeats Member

I just got a free one, so I can not beatch about the price. This thing weighs as much as 2 gibs or epis. Solid black. I will go thru it and replace electronics and set it up to see how it plays.