Japan?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Ambrola, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Senior Member

Similar in England - a gentleman dresses to be invisible etc. No ostentatious show of wealth. And America if you flaunt your wealth the tax dept takes notice.

2. AlanH

AlanH Senior Member

Given that Japan is such a big market for guitars I'm really surprised not to see Japanese contributors to the various internet forums. You see other non-english-speaking nation contributors from South America, Europe, the Indian sub continent etc. but I can't recollect a post from a Japanese forum member. You do come across the Japanese equivalent of Chappers and the Captain on YouTube - good player there!

3. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I was thinking more about other makes/brands we never see...including but, not limited to LP styles.

4. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

@Leña_Costoso what you say is partly true, I reckon it's more of a bygone age tendencies tho. But let's say if you are wearing Rolex at work and your boss wears a Seiko, you gonna attract unwanted attention to yourself. Because to older generation, Rolex is cream of the crop, but if you are wearing, say IWC or Jaeger Lecoultre, no one will be wiser ;) or why not Patek Philippe lol

@AlanH Hey I'm a japanese! (Granted, I do live in Sweden, but it still counts! Right? XD)

@Macronaut Well, even smaller stores got plenty of Gibson and Fender guitars, and aside from that, more obscure brands like Zemantis, Knaggs and others, oh and those japanese brands you never hear about abroad, most of times Tele, Strat or LP shapes with more exotic woods. On reflection, I just realized that I've never seen ESP eclipse and other "regular" ESP models over there, only extravagant models with insane prices

mudface likes this.
  5. AlanH

AlanH Senior Member

@Prometheus
    Do you see many of your fellow countrymen on English language forums? You probably spot them whereas the likes of me don't notice.

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Nope not at all, because like most of japanese ppl are like "lolwut, english? me no speak english"
    Besides, there are online forums intended for japanese ppl out there you know? Like yahoo chie-bukuro and some such

7. AlanH

AlanH Senior Member

I thought this might be the case. It's a shame because both the Japanese and the rest of the world are missing out on each other's views and opinions because of a language barrier.

8. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Behold, I am the bridge!

Tbh tho, you lot know far too better when it comes to LP things than I will ever dream of XD and far greater than Gibson themselves lol

mudface, scott 351 wins and endial like this.
  9. AlanH

AlanH Senior Member

Get yourself on the Japanese forums and extend our invitation. We don't mind pigeon English and you can help right? Do the Japanese study English in school BTW?

paruwi likes this.
  10. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Now that's a tall order there mate XD I mean I can't run around like a translator everywhere you know?

Yeah they (we) do, but first of all, it starts kinda late, at junior high, and exposure to proper english is a rather rare occasion in japan since most of movies and TV shows are dubbed
    and english classes.... oh man, they are piss poor at the best of times

paruwi likes this.
  11. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Nope....you’ve no longer Japanese!! :D

Prometheus likes this.
  12. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I think I have seen Japanese members in the Other Single Cuts area. Makes sense though as we are mostly discussing MIJ guitars there. Granted, I haven't been here long and have only noticed 1 or 2.

I often see Japanese guitar forums on google searches, but can't get translation to work for me on them. Probably too much to try to translate, and translation to English often leaves me scratching my head as to meaning. As one who often peruses MIJ guitars on the 'net I have learned some of what these off translations actually mean, but I wish I wasn't as literal as I am because I would likely understand them better.

endial likes this.
  13. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

I think we are in agreement. The point is knowing your place. If you came in with Patek Philippe, and the boss knew his stuff, you'd be toast!

Prometheus likes this.
  14. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Thanks for your insight because I learned a lot from your post.

15. Leña_Costoso

English is a required 2nd language in the schools of Japan.

Why? Because English is the language of business.

Same holds true for say... the Swiss. They learn English as a required 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) language. Same reason. English is the language of business.

There should be little issue with most Japanese under age 60 knowing how to communicate using written English, even though spelling and grammar may be rusty. YMMV of course.

Back to the thread....

As Americans, we have a mindset of economic imperialism. WTF? I mean we assume our products as we enjoy them in the USofA, are the same products and enjoyed the same way "everywhere they are sold", and that they are probably sold everywhere. You go get that MickyD burger in Outer Slobovia, and good God, they got the recipe down to a frikkin' science! Same slop in the bag.

The opening of Pulp Fiction, with the "Le Grande Royale" and the fries with mayo made me laugh, because the comments were so true.

Here in the USA we tend to say "WTF? We build 'em here, they're the cream of the crop, and they're only available in Japan? Who in hell came up with THAT scenario?".

In Japan, they say "We build these here, for Japanese enjoyment only".

Japan is a country that has words to describe the out of focus part of a photograph, and whether the out of focus part is "good" or "bad". They have words to describe the softness of a pastel flower petal, and its relative perfection. They have words to describe normal wear and tear that make items more desirable. While we would describe old jeans as funky, old, soft, comfy, the Japanese take it far beyond that, describing the desirable and undesirable parts of wear. As a westerner, you can spend ages trying to understand wabi sabi. The Japanese grow up understanding it.

endial likes this.
  16. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Well I am a Viking Samurai! aka a hybrid! XD

paruwi likes this.
  17. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

@Leña_Costoso if your boss is a WIS, I think you both gonna get along rather nicely tho

Gotta say, I was NOT expecting to read about wabi sabi here! But you know, old guitars with genuine and honest wears, I see wabi sabi in them!

18. Leña_Costoso

Yes, and old amplifiers.

I once saw a series of Fender "relic" guitars, that were all pretty much the same. There were three of 'em. Each had the cigarette burn, not exactly the same of course, but almost exactly. Each had buckle rash that was pretty much the same, even to the extent of the outlying deep scratches. Each had the same "wear" areas on the fretboard. Same scratches on the pickguard.

And today I wonder, what would the Japanese market think of that? Not wabi sabi at all, but trying to be. A wannabe. A cheap (or not cheap really) imitation of wear.

My only connection with the Japanese guitar market was with the Tak Matsumoto pickup. I got one of the first LP Standard Faded guitars, by chance, it was off the rack, sight unseen from Elderly when they still were a Gibson dealer. Months later, again by chance, I met an employee of Gibson Nashville online. Naturally we chatted some over the course of a few weeks. He asked me to check my pickups. He explained that the first production of the LP Std Faded were built with the wrong pickups. They needed a reverse creme/black pickup for the product photo shoot, and the intended pickups (reverse color BBucker Pro) was not available yet. So, they stuck Tak Matsumoto pickups in the prototype and used it for the photoshoot. Somehow, the Taks were used in the first couple of hundred guitars, until they caught the error, and reworked them all. Almost. The first shipments had already been made, and while I forget the number he told me, it was like maybe 75 or so got out into the wild. Sure enough, I got "BB-Tak#1" and "BB-Tak#2" in mine. Those are basically wax potted BB#1 and BB#2 with reverse black/creme coils.

I'm not sure if Gibson quality is better in Japan. Certainly they get the equivalent of the best USA quality. But they do get colors, and variations that are not available here in Yankeeland.

19. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

@Leña_Costoso a wannabe sabi if you will lol
    There are always some oddballs out there who gonna like those things I guess, after all distressed jeans are in fact selling over there as well

Well Gibson quality is... Gibson quality, let's face it, it will never come to the japanese made guitar standard. But most japanese ppl I've spoke with say "I know quality is kinda meh, but man, the sound you get out of them, sometimes, that's american wildness right there"

Juanjay24 and endial like this.
  20. Leña_Costoso

Correct on the wannabe. I have no idea if Fender actually sells them over there, or maybe... maybe they offer unique wear for the JDM, at an upcharge (of course!).

Just realize when I say "I have", its a bit of wistful force of habit, as the ex got everything. I'm down to a LP Tribute, and SG Classic, and Adamas.... and a recreation of my dream amp 5F4 Super.