Japan?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Ambrola, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Ambrola

Ambrola Senior Member

I know this has probably been asked, but what's the deal with all the LP's coming out of Japan? Are they legit? I have searched everywhere for a norlin era LP but they seem to have been shipped to there?

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

plenty of norlins in the u.s.

cant confirm that every lp coming from japan is legit but japan is a crazy guitar market and a lot of the stuff going there and coming back from there is the best quality stuff. quality is paramount to the japanese.

Mockbel, bulletproof, scozz and 4 others like this.
  3. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

4. endial

endial Senior Member

5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

A few years back, I was at the Philly guitar show. There were quiet a few Asian gentlemen there with big wads of cash buying up vintage instruments. One of the vendors told me they were shipping the to Japan to re-sell.

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

I'm a Japanese, AMA? XD

7. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

The Japanese are really big on Gibsons.

bulletproof and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  8. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Gibson loves Japan, and Japan loves Gibson. They pay whatever Gibson wants. Gibson is smart though and doesn't send them shite. As a golden goose I imagine they get the cream of the crop.

9. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Not entirely true, ofc Gibson did send bunch of shite back in the day, but japanese dealers checked them up and sent back bunch of noped guitars

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    paruwi, mudface, bulletproof and 3 others like this.
  10. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Well Gibson was just keeping them honest rofl !!

Japanese go crazy for Gibson's. I'm Canadian and am a little crazy about MIJ guitars. It's all good.

11. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

Seems Gibson has tried to pull the same crap here (on us) too. My vender sends a significant of rejects back too.

12. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Yeah I guess, but the biggest difference is, generally speaking japanese are almost at the OCD level of perfectionists, so lots and lots of guitars were sent back, I've no idea how it is these days tho

tbh, it's always fun to go to music stores in japan compared to sweden, because they got far superior amount of guitars, and not only Gibson guitars but you know, other obscure guitars that you'll never find in random store over here

13. Macronaut

I would love to go overseas to various places around the globe, just to see what great unheard of offerings we do not ever see.

mudface, endial and scozz like this.
  14. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

But then again, I hang here a LP forum, not at Zemantis forum or what have you XD

mudface and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  15. Macronaut

Yeah, I recon so...

16. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Agreed....but I bet LPs over there command premium prices we DON’T ever want to see!!

I wonder what kind of prices they get for a regular, every day Gibson Les Paul?

17. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I could be wrong but I think I read Japan is Gibson's second largest market after the US.

18. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

For reference, my used 14 trad costed somewhere around 1.3k

19. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

All the praise for Japanese dealers is really makin' me feel good. I have a 2010 Ikebe (Japanese dealer) R9 that almost plays itself. I'm very grateful

mudface, endial, Roxy13 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

The Japanese have an interesting persona, as a culture. Not sayings its bad, or good, or anything, other than its the Japanese way. As a people, and as a culture, they are very much connected with each other, unlike, European cultures including the Brits, or certainly the USA, or even Canada.

Culturally, there is a pride in what is known as JDM products. Japan Domestic Market. Its seen with Gibson guitars, Harley-Davidson motorcycles, Japanese cameras and electronics, Japanese watches, even Swiss, French and other Eurozone watches. I'm sure there are other genres and product families that have their own JDM niche as well.

Quality is important, but so is the uniqueness, the relative rarity, and the status that ownership brings. In the country where the winning team is careful to not "win by too much", the same is also true with ownership of certain products. You don't want to buy (too far) above (or below) your socioeconomic standing.

Its strange over there. For instance.... and all money aside... if you were a middle class guy, managed to save, or deal your way into buying a Rolex, and you wore it, you'd get more than a bit of humiliation. The "who do you think you are?" routine. If you had it, kept it secret, but kept dealing your way into more of them, then it would be ok to wear. Why? You'd still be average, a middle class guy, but now a respected "collector", so it would be ok. Not showing off, but having inner passion about it. Like I said... its a funny culture by Western standards. One's awareness of "correct" place in society is very strongly felt, and taught directly and indirectly at home, and in schools.

One of my best friends spent her entire life in Japan until age 25 or so as a Navy brat, then teacher of English (since she knew the three main forms of Japanese fluently), so Japan is a topic of discussion whenever we get together for a visit with each other. Hence a bit of inside track on the Japanese (and why she's a basket case here in the USA)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    medic24, Roxy13 and endial like this.