J-200

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by greens, Nov 15, 2017.

1. greens

greens Member

I was following this

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=182884678853

Mostly because the seller didn't seem to know or have much interest in what he had, and listed it accordingly, and that seems to be where the deals are.

Was this a 1960s J-200? Granted it is hard to tell what state it was in, but it seems like it sold for a good price no?

2. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Sold for big dollars considering the work needed based on pics (and the possible unknown work to neck). Wasn't listed locally on CL or Facebook, which is unusual.

3. greens

greens Member

What work would you say it needs based on the pics? I see the deep scratches in the top but I couldn’t tell much else.

4. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Shoddy bridge re-glue. There are drips! Big crack on back. No telling the state of the neck or frets. Appears truss rod nut may be rounded off.

5. greens

greens Member

Ah yeah, good eye. Even so, this would be like a $6000 guitar fixed, no?

6. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

A dealer might ask that for it if in excellent *original* condition. Fixed is... fixed. A guitar is only original once. If it sounded good would be one thing. But it like doesn't sound good at all. The tunamatic bridge and that extra bracing means this once is probably not able to vibrate with the best of them.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. greens

greens Member

Interesting, thanks. How can you tell there is extra bracing?

8. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

The bridge is what came stock on many of those models. So are the nylon saddles. This for the 1960's period is normal.

There is some slippage of the bridge, that needs to be looked at. It should be bolted under the bridge inlays and the screw tops covered by them.

The glue work is rather sloppy, but likely they didn't want to strip a spot of the finish by dealing with the excess glue. Not what I would have done, but..

I see no extra bracing at all, from what the photos show. I've got one sitting right here next to me. That's how the backs are braced.

9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

10. greens

greens Member

Yeah it looked to me like there was some value there, but I'm really not familiar with the market for acoustics so I was curious to get some informed opinions. Thanks!

11. greens

greens Member