Izzy Stradlin

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by arcanis494, Apr 29, 2008.

1. arcanis494

arcanis494 V.I.P. Member

I think he's a great player. For those of you who don't know he played lead on think about you and he played the first half of the first solo in nightrain.

Info taken from his fansite (chopaway.com):

Appetite For Destruction (GNR) : Gibson ES-175 - Fender Bassman 60's Blackface head with Mesaboogie 4x12 cabinet with EV speakers in the bottom and Celestions on top.

Use Your Illusion (GNR) : Gibson ES-??? / Gibson Les Paul / Fender Telecaster / Carvin SH225S semi hollow body- Carvin XV-112EV Studio Tube Amp

In live performances I can't see his amps but his favorite guitars seem to be a white ES-175 and a black lp custom.

Anyone else got any info or comments?

2. gravy

gravy Senior Member

:thumb: Right on! I've always loved Izzy. But according to Slash Izzy was nowhere near the studio for "Appetite".He's claimed all of the guitars were him.:rolleyes:I've always thought that was a LOAD. I like Slash,but I saw he and Axle sit in with Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson at the Roxy in LA in about '88/89.Talk about F%cked up! Axle,believe it or not ,wasn't too bad,but Slash was so screwed up he couldn't play to save his life.Here he is on stage with his hero (Mick Ronson),and Mick was in his face the WHOLE time trying to hip Slash to the three cords of White Light/White Heat .He just couldn't do it.So what does he do? He goes into the worst speed/metal type solo possible(only not that good). I mean,I've heard 14 year old kids at Guitar Center on a Saturday morning with mommy,that sound like Jimmy Page compared to what he did.No joke! I think everyone in the place was pretty embarrassed for him.
    I'm really glad he's gotten his act together now.:slash:That was such a waist of talent.
    Anyway.When that first Juju Hounds record came out it was apparent to me who the REAL song writer was. GOTTA LOVE IZZY!:hippie:

3. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

Slash never said he played all of AFD. You're thinking of UYI. Izzy would only do minimal scratch tracks for those sessions and Slash does play all of the guitar parts on some songs. By that point Izzy wasn't very involved in the band which led to him quitting.

4. kjlugo

kjlugo Senior Member

Izzy was great.....no doubt about that...specially in the writing process, but Izzy's solo stuff is pretty bad. GN'R were great as a a "team", I wouldn't give more or less credit to any particular member.....with the exception of Steven, who apparently didn't write music at all.....and was by far the weakest member.

5. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I partially agree, I know NOTHING about drumming and drummers, but Steven had a style and vibe that I totally dig. Though Matt Sorum seems to be a better drummer, I think he sounds kinda "sterile."

Anyway, all I can say is that if there were no Izzy, there'd be no AFD (and therefore nothing else for GNR). He was the backbone of that band. And as much as I love Slash, back then he seemed reckless almost to the point of total immaturity/retardedness. Everyone likes giving Axl shit though. :rolleyes:

...but hey, its rock n' roll.

6. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

I love Izzy too and have all his solo stuff. G N' R was great because of how they all played off of each other. Slash is best when he's playing with Izzy in my opinion.

7. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I agree that Izzy is underrated.

I would even go so far as to say that the rhythm guitar tracks (mostly Izzy) made AfD what it was more than anything else.

8. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

Izzy is the "Keith Richards" of GNR, A hell of a nice guy too.

cmcoram likes this.
  9. arcanis494

arcanis494 V.I.P. Member

Yeah, his rhythms are so simple yet complex. When both slash and Izzy are doing rhythm parts at the same time there is a lot if interaction between their guitars. not exact quote but in his book slash said something along the lines of if you wanted to hear the essence of a gnr song you would hear izzy's rhythm track.

I think its unfair to call his solo stuff bad. It seems to me that he had a different musical taste than the rest of Gn'r and when he went solo it was obviously only his output.

If you watch videos with and w/o izzy there is just alotta mojo missing when he was gone. Not to say gilby was a bad guitarist, because he's really good too, but there wasn't that same chemistry going on.

By the time gnr was playing stadiums he was gone, but he was there for Rock in Rio 2. Izzy does an awsome intro to an electric version of Patience and an awsome solo in night train. Camera even gets in close in on him. He sounds great with that black custom.

YouTube - Patience - Rock in Rio II

YouTube - Nightrain - Rock In Rio II

geez RFR is there anyone you don't know:rofl:

i'm just jokin:hippie:

10. scissorlock

scissorlock Member

I've always wondered.....is Izzy's guitar on the left or the right stereo channel on Appetite? I just always assumed he was on the left.

11. Hackubus

Hackubus Senior Member

I want to say Izzy was panned to the left & buried in the mix slightly. (but I could be wrong...it's been a minute)

Anyhoo, the interplay between Slash & Izzy on AFD was just the most AWESOME thing ever at the time I thought. It just wasn't there on UYI IMO.

12. armann

armann Senior Member

I haven't read that anywhere.
    Please comment on where you read that.

You can so clearly hear on every song on AFD the dual guitars and the differences in playing style.

13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I always liked izzy more than slash and he was the perfect shy-boy alterego to slash

14. kjlugo

kjlugo Senior Member

There's a new Izzy's solo album coming.......

:)

15. arcanis494

arcanis494 V.I.P. Member

Awesome, I will definitely get it.