Izzy Stradlin

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by ZZTOPGUY, May 13, 2011.

1. MissingSomethin

MissingSomethin Senior Member

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on the internet all year.
    Izzy is a mediocre player who just plays bar chords like a 10th grader.

He's done nothing notable since G&R. Zero. No one cares.
    Not anything even close to a decent song.

Anyone bashing Slash in favor of Izzy is a classic case of guitar nerds trying tooo hard to be different.
    Just like the person who likes an Indy band, but suddenly hates them once they make it big.
    Stunted "trying to be cool" mindset of a middle schooler?

Slash is why G&R made it, period. Their careers are polar opposites.
    Izzy is a replaceable nobody that had little impact on the G&R success.

Izzy just got lucky, and was a case of being in the right place at the right time,
    and he knew it, and he knew he had nothing on Slash, who played circles around this
    high school caliber guitarist, so he bailed out before everyone figured out he was in way over his head. That's why he's done nothing anyone cares about in 30 years.
    It was all Slash, Duff, and Axl. Izzy was nothing more than a backing player who should have gotten paid $5/hr. which is about what he's made after he stopped riding the coattails of real rock stars.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    PermissionToLand and steve10358 like this.
  2. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I resemble that remark!

3. steve10358

steve10358 Junior Member

Izzy is great but all it takes is one listen to Slash's World on Fire record to see what a skilled writer and player he is.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

Izzy was the better "all around" guitarist and Slash was more of a "lead only" guy. Just one old guitar players opinion. The truth is I never liked GNR for the simple reason that I HATED, and still HATE Axl! I will never like a band he is in. Slash has actually done some decent stuff in the past 6-7 years also. Like this:

5. solteroblues

solteroblues Senior Member

I liked Izzy in Guns, but if you listen to anything he's ever put out since, its a totally different kind of music. Not saying it was bad, but it sure could never be mistaken for GNR. Maybe Izzy is a great guitarist, certainly better than me, but he didn't "make" GNR. It was the combination of the whole, that made them what they were. You can hate on GNR and Slash and praise Izzy all you want, but I don't think you have any justification for it. He's never produced anything that even closely resembled a hit, and definitely nothing like GNR. Slash has been a part of nothing but success his whole career, from GNR to Snakepit & VR, to his solo stuff, back to GNR. He makes music that I can't stop listening to, whereas Izzy's solo efforts have been completely forgettable.

Watching an interview with Slash one time, he said (my paraphrasing here) "so we'd start with an idea or riff, and like everything else in Guns, we'd just play it faster and faster and harder and harder"... I think that's what Izzy brought to the table, he'd write something or come up with an idea, and I'm sure it was fine and good, but it probably didn't match the music they were producing at the time, so they'd just sped it up, added a little anger to it, and made the best hard rock band (IMO of course) ever.

PermissionToLand and Gmal like this.
  6. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I remember buying the Juju Hounds LP after he left GnR, and being so wonderfully surprised how old Stones it sounded. Guy has soul, that's for sure. He did the sleazy Sunset Strip thing really well with GnR, but he is so much bigger than that talent-wise.

7. Ayrton

Ayrton Senior Member

I can’t believe I am even wading into this, but if you don’t believe Izzy was the secret sauce of Guns, you really don’t know anything about the band.

Axl and Slash are household names because of Izzy, not the other way around.

w.izzy likes this.
  8. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

To me what made GnR so good was the way Slash and Izzy complimented each other, in both tone and style. Silly to bash one over the other...they are on one of the biggest rock albums of all time... my hat is off to both of them. As others have mentioned, one listen to Rocket Queen says it all.

serch777 and Bubba Z like this.
  9. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Really liked Izzy. Without him and Adler the magic was gone.

hazmat7719 likes this.
  10. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Classic example of 'Handle / Post' right here...

serch777 likes this.
  11. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

The best band that had Slash was Velvet Revolver. And I think Slash was the leak link.

Les Paulverizer likes this.
  12. dwk302

dwk302 Senior Member

Izzy was HUGE to GNR's filthy AFD era sound. His rhythm work on Rocket Queen is about as good as it gets! Masterful.
    Izzy's departure along with the hiring of Bob Rock for UYI really stripped GNR of "that" sound. F Bob Rock.

13. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

I like Izzy, and I like his solo stuff even better than the GNR stuff.

14. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

Dude, Bob Rock didn't work on any GnR records. Mike Clink did. Am I F'ed up?

PermissionToLand and serch777 like this.
  15. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I want a Mesa Boobie!

16. dwk302

dwk302 Senior Member

I stand corrected

Platte City Paul likes this.
  17. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

It's been noted to death Izzy was Keith Richards to Slash's Mick Taylor/Jimmy Page. I got into Guns during the UYI/Gilby days. I had no idea why Izzy was such a big deal. I just figured he was rhythm guitarist because he wasn't good enough to be Slash. I also assumed lead guitarist inherently meant lead songwriter. It wasn't until a couple years ago it all made sense. The argument of ensemble based songwriting is valid. But if you want to discuss the nuances between Slash and Izzy's contributions as players, that's a worthy argument of its own. I'm going to give a guestimate, as I don't have time to validate my number, but I'm willing to wager Izzy was responsible for 60%-65% of GnR's output. Also, considering much of Appetite AND UYI was written prior, things lean on Izzy a bit more as MVP. As for skill, Izzy was never interested in being a star. We all know he was perfectly happy to sink back into the background and hammer simple fills and riffs. Add the fact, his style only made Slash sound better. Izzy's crunchy twang only highlighted Slash's darker tones. We all know things never sounded right when Gilby and Matt came into the fold.

It all comes down to taste. I prefer Keith Richards over Jimmy Page. I'd rather listen to Keith orchestrate a riff out of two chords for 10 minutes vs. listen to Page shred for 10 minutes. But that's me. As for Slash, I will say his skill and songwriting has greatly improved the past two decades since getting clean and sober.

serch777 likes this.
  18. Droog

Droog Senior Member

The original 5 in GNR caught lightning in a bottle. They were the right 5 people to get together, at the right time, making the right music, like them or not they were the biggest band in the world for a time. To compare Izzy and Slash is silly though, it's like apples and oranges, neither's better, they're just different. But that original 5, like some other bands in the past, just caught lightning in a bottle.

19. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Everyone has their own opinion, and obviously the original combination was great for a number of reasons, but it's perfectly obvious and true that Slash is viewed far more favorably and has created a far more extensive body of work with others and solo, than Izzy. The most-loved, most-quoted riffs from their time together are Slash's work. You don't have to agree for yourself, but arguing that it is a universal truth that Izzy is better -- whatever that means -- is contrary to the evidence. And kind of pointless anyway.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  20. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I read an article some time ago where Slash was saying how he didn't really appreciate how well he and Izzy meshed when writing and playing until he wasn't there. Slash was talking about how he writes songs from a left speaker guitar - right speaker guitar perspective and that izzy just knew how to complement the song.

They were definitely a great team.

But I have to agree with the OP. Izzy is very underrated. He's like the John Paul Jones of GnR.
    I often think JPJ was over shadowed by Page and many of his contributions credited to Page. I bet Izzy gets a similar deal.

serch777, Droog and hazmat7719 like this.