Izzy Stradlin

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by ZZTOPGUY, May 13, 2011.

1. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

Big Izzy fan . . . also, his guitars was always more interesting/exciting to look at.

All those big box full hollows, thin body hollows, and semi's.

[​IMG]

2. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Bringing back an old thread, I see. Nothing wrong with revisiting Izzy. Tasty player who doesn't get enough credit for his playing sometimes.

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSFOxhxtLI]Welcome to the Jungle - Izzy Stradlin Only - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  4. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

Says me too :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5WP355YjA]IZZY STRADLIN NEW 2012 SINGLE "BABY-RANN' - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  5. sixlicks

sixlicks Senior Member

I like his work a lot .

6. T22

T22 Member

Bringing back an old thread again,

I've been a massive Izzy fan for years. I listen and dissect his work on AFD. I'm a decent rhythm player, but when I listen to his technique its unique and impossible to duplicate.
    He takes the second guitarist position and makes it amazing. His riffs on Rocket Queen never fail to inspire. As with One in a Million.

Then there's his cool image and stage presence, mature beyond his age in AFD days. And lets never forget his massive contribution to the actual writing of AFD.

I'm usually a second guitarist myself. Not because I cant play lead, but because I realize its not my forte whereas rhythm is. So I took Izzy's model to heart and 'specialized,' in rhythm guitar. Though back in the day I was no speed demon, I was a sought and respected guitarist on the local scene. Drummers appreciated the bond I would establish with them, singers and lead players would want me backing them up. I focused on the magic of a simple riff that actually makes and drives the song. I owe a lot of that to Izzy.

Didn't even contemplate going to the recent reunion without Izzy playing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    serch777 likes this.
  7. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

Izzy is a damn fine guitarist, but it takes nothing away from Slash and vice versa. I've listened to isolated tracks of both their guitar parts on Appetite for Destruction, and they complement each other perfectly. I couldn't listen to that album if it was only Izzy's guitar or only Slash's guitar.

T22 likes this.
  8. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

GnR had two guitar players???

9. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

Definitely. When he left they went downhill, to me . . .
    Mick Taylor/Brad Whitford syndrome

serch777, hazmat7719, w.izzy and 2 others like this.
  10. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Izzy was the heart and soul of the band`s music. Much like Malcolm in AC/DC, Mick Taylor in the Stones and Brad in Aerosmith.
    Everyone is so enamored by them until(if you are a guitar player) you see them love and see who is playing what.

lemmy loud and T22 like this.
  11. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Love was meant to be live. Lol

12. elsicodelico

elsicodelico Junior Member

90% of a song is rhythm guitar (most times). Slash embarrassed himself by fucking up “hey joe” and “all right now” not that he’d give a fuck anyway

13. DC42

DC42 Junior Member

Izzy's solo material is very under rated - unappreciated. Love the hollow bodies as well.

hazmat7719 likes this.
  14. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

With Gibson choosing mediocre and all "noise" Slash as their world-wide artist representative of musicians and (I assume) the direction the company is going, I'm glad that in these later years I prefer Fender, PRS and almost anyone else's guitars to what Gibson is producing now. Vintage Gibson's or nothing (from Gibson) for me.

15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

When I first got to know GnR, I was a 15 years old teen so for sure Slash's style took all of my attention and passion... For me, GnR was just Slash and Axl... When I grew, I realized that other guys like Izzy and Duff had great contribution to GnR too..

I just wonder, where is Izzy now?

16. hoshikawa2

hoshikawa2 Junior Member

Yes, I agree a 100%. Izzy and Slash need to stay together again. Great songs and solos on AFD. The best album!

17. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

Whether I like what someone does or not, I respect any pro and wish him/her/them all the very best, however personally I've always had a problem in taking Guns & Roses seriously, to me they've always been more of a "fan club with guitars" than a real band, no matter how popular they were/are. Of course there are good bits here and there otherwise their popularity would be 100% unfounded, which obviously is not the case, but I've never seen them as "real" and definitely not as artistically valid as the great Classic Rock bands they simply ape.
    Nevertheless, I've also always seen Izzy Stradlin as the real deal, but maybe that's why he hasn't been part of the band for a long time...?
    And talking of Richard Fortus (who "plays" Izzy now!) he's touring with them at the moment because A) he's played with Axl for so many years in that G&R cover band, B) from a distance he kinda has the same Izzy vibe so it works.
    Same thing with Richie Falkner joining Judas Priest, you don't want to alienate your audience so you take someone aboard that visually looks similar to his predecessor and that will make the audience feel comfortable.
    And now Faulkner is also playing a Flying V...uncanny, uh...?
    Having said that, they're both very good & reliable players, they wouldn't have got their coveted jobs otherwise, but Fortus in particular is a killer player, he's done all sorts of session work in the past, including laying parts for 80s New Wave bands (totally un-Hard Rock, but ever the pro, he did it) and millions of jingles, and he's more than able to go from Country to Jazz to all out Rock through Classical with ease, and playing all those styles with conviction all the while sounding totally legitimate.
    Wouldn't it be cool to see a Stradlin/Fortus project one day, that would really something, and something "real"!

18. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

I also was a huge Izzy fan. I just thought Slash had the worst tone in rock n' roll. Too brittle lacking any balls. Matt Laug, drummer in Snake Pit comes from the town I grew up in and is a good friend, says Slash is the nicest guy, but Izzy remains my favorite GnR guitarist.

19. mhayden

mhayden Junior Member

I am flabbergasted that so many people throw Slash’s playing and tone under the bus in an attempt to make their praise of Izzy seem that much more profound. You can appreciate one without slamming the other. Izzy’s jangly style was great and went a long way into making GNR sound the way it did. But...I have to seriously question your understanding of song structure and soloing when you don’t realize the talent Slash has in creating melodic lead lines that absolutely carry these songs. Also, his tone on Appetite is so amazing because of the way it stands out while sitting in the mix - not overpowering the mix. Rhythm is obviously important and Izzy’s abilities in that department deserve more recognition than they get, but it was a group effort to make these songs amazing and Slash’s playing that inspired thousands and thousands of us to pick up a guitar.

serch777, Bubba Z, Gmal and 1 other person like this.