Izzy Stradlin

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by ZZTOPGUY, May 13, 2011.

1. ZZTOPGUY

ZZTOPGUY Senior Member

After Guns N' Roses really took off in the late 80's Izzy could walk into Bars and Clubs accross the States and nobody would recognize him and he was happy that way. Him and Steven are the only ones that really stayed true to themselves and I respect them for it. Izzy also has a Guitar in the Hard Rock Cafe it's a Les Paul Deluxe pro and it's beautiful.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  2. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

I saw Guns live during the time AFD was just breaking ground here in Los Angeles. I "got stuck" being closer to IZZY than center stage. Good for me.....I could hear all the cool rythmns and textured playing that he did. I walked outta there knowin' that HE was responsible for how good that band sounded (props to Duff as well). I walked outta there knowin' that he had to have written the majority of the stuff. I walked outta there an IZZY fan. I'm STILL not a GnR fan though,but don't get me started on that.

serch777, mdubya and lespaul01 like this.
  3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

reportedly, Izzys contributions to UYI were minimal, both volumes are packed with Slashs overdubs. Apparently when Gilby was trying to learn the songs, Slash kept telling him "thats my part" and "I play that", because Izzys parts are so sparse he couldnt make them out, all he could hear was Slashs dubs. If I recall correctly from Slashs book, Izzy lost his heart for the band in Chicago when they were writting UYI, he had to be coerced into doing the tour, and after one riot too many he quit

LIBERTYMACHINE likes this.
  4. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

I think we all agree that Izzy was the man. At the same time, Appetite was a band effort. 5 lads who Kicked ass for a few years. Izzy got clean, saw what was happening, realized it was not fun anymore and bailed. A dictatorship ruined the band and that Dictator was named Bill Bailey.

5. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Izzy officially left the band a few months after Use Your illusions came out. He had threatened to quit a week before the release of UYI, but he stayed on and left during the European Tour. He was co-writer of at least 12 songs off UYI, plus lead and back up vocals. Although I like Slash, I would not trust his memory very much. many junkies will remember things how they want to remember, not how they actually went down. Cheers

hazmat7719 and LIBERTYMACHINE like this.
  6. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

none of what you said contradicts what I said (or by extension what was said by Slash and Gilby) :hmm:

7. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Quoting. by default does not mean disagreeing. But, what Gilby says has not merit and Izzy was simply gone by then.

8. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

uh ok, still sounds like disagreeing, if you want to ask Izzy how much time he spent recording the album, please report back with his answer :thumb:

9. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Ok, Ill ring him a bit later... Should I post or would you like me to have him call you?:shock:

10. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

no thanks, I'm confident with what my ears tell me, that he plays very little on the UYI albums (accounts by other band members only support that)

11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Back when he released Juju Zombies he did an interview where, while he was very gracious to the members of GnR, he made it plain that he left because he felt he was getting cornered out of the band, as well as being tired of the road antics.

12. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Izzy & the Ju Ju Hounds were great, I saw them a few times. Izzy kicks A$$

13. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_j-CF_BO1Q]YouTube - 08 Shuffle It All Live[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UI6kuFgEZ0&feature=related]YouTube - Guns N' Roses - 14 Years - Indiana '91[/ame]

14. ZZTOPGUY

ZZTOPGUY Senior Member

He is the best Rhythm Guitarist of his Generation thats for sure. His Tone on AFD actually is better than Slash's and Izzy's can actually be recreated.

lespaul01 and LIBERTYMACHINE like this.
  15. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

16. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

Ju Ju Hounds......effin' cool name t' boot.

lespaul01 likes this.
  17. ZZTOPGUY

ZZTOPGUY Senior Member

Izzy used a early 1960's Gibson Es-125 TDC tyhrough a Mesa Boogie Mark II and a Mesa Boobie 4x12 Metal Grill Cab with EV speakers on the Bottom and Celestions on top.

18. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

any more details on what model spkrs re: celestion/Ev's?

19. ZZTOPGUY

ZZTOPGUY Senior Member

No idea on the Model but I can do more research.

20. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

I'm gonna have to try this spkr combo in one of my cabs. I'm really bored with the sound dimension of my celestions these days.