It's October

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Pop1655, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

...and I'm alive!!!

Thankfully. The last five weeks have been killer. Sales took a hit as a result of Harvey. We're sorta Houston's playground. Not trying to hitch a sympathy ride on their shirttail, but they ain't been out to play. Actually sorta interesting and curious just how far reaching the effects will be. The old throw the rock in the pond and see how far out the ripples go deal. They're the ones that are hurt, not me!! I can't complain. Just a perfect storm of decreased revenue and some crazy high dollar repair and maintenance issues with seriously bad timing (capped off after a grounded condensing unit and a crashed computer with an old lady jumping the curb, crashing my main water line and forcing me to close). In 30 years I've bounced my deal off the guardrail numerous times and been in the ditch many times. Usually I just drop it into 4WD high and slowly cruise out. I had to put it into 4WD low this time and do some serious sloshing through the mud.
    Anyway, it's the first and I'm alive! Having a good weekend. The sun is shining. Onward we go.

Living the dream of being that self employed, be your own boss, work when you want, millionaire certainly has its' moments.

2. Gmal

Gmal Senior Member

Best of luck to you Pop. Hope you (and the whole area) bounce back quickly.

3. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

Can't help you in any way from here, Pop, but I wish you better things going forward!

Can't say how much I admire your spunk (and the spunk of all you other guys who work for yourselves). I've tried it and it couldn't do it!

Cheers

4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm not even in the area. Like I said, not trying to tag along with those poor folks. We got about a half an inch of rain out of that. I'm in an area down the road where people like to come part with their disposable income. Right now they're all tearing out sheetrock instead. My deal was just how it always seems to come in waves. I thought I was getting signs it was time to cash out there for a while. I'm not ready. Still got stuff to do.

artis_xe likes this.
  5. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

don't stop now
    my belief has always been , to any given problem , there is always a creative solution

some of my best times , have only been a direct result , of some of my worst times

giving up is for the boring ones

Pop1655 likes this.
  6. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

been self employed almost 30 years.. it is always a roller coaster. I am not a guy that saves ANYTHING so I have to make it as I go. NOTHING to fall back on... recently my playing out has been buy groceries and paying bills because business has been crappy. it is howevert making an upward turn.

artis_xe and Pop1655 like this.
  7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Yep. Usually when I do my best work. This time I took a blind upper cut about five times in a row. I was getting a little dazed. :laugh2:

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yeah, business has been slow here too -- in addition to Houstonians being too busy for our Hill Country leisure, the construction crews which form much of our business are on the coast making $ doing recovery work.

artis_xe likes this.
  9. artis_xe

I'm in Pennsylvania right now __ and even the crews around this locale are moving South

scary factor is : most of them employ cheap / unskilled labor . not like that area is going to be rebuilt stronger than it was ( as it should be )

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LABMO-TORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!

redjunior likes this.
  11. artis_xe

big mistake , but you already know that

for anyone self employed __ totally worth the money to have someone do your accounting and banking . just so you don't play the " I worked hard = I deserve this " game . also makes someone else the fall guy , when you want to explain to your other half " It's not that we can't afford ( whatever ) . but the numbers are telling us that we shouldn't right now "

12. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

best of luck to you pops.it seems that way here in central florida too.hurricane came through here a few weeks ago,without power for a week,needed to get the septic field redone and today the old ladys clothes dryer crapped out.oh yeah,my dobie had to have $400 worth of surgery on one of his ears,hes still wearing a bandanna looking thing till tuesday.when it rains it pours,cant wait to get back to the times when you just cruise through life with no problems.

13. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Down here, many of the small businesses, the mom and pop shops, restaurants and boutiques are/were in leased buildings...many of which weren't insured by the building owners. I'm worried about and wondering how these small business owners will recover. It will be some time before people are coming down here to vacation and some time before the locals are ready to spend money on non-essentials.

14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

KSG: they had a big story on the SA news the other day saying if you really want to help, book a guide trip. I kinda liked that.

Mom and Pops in a leased building don't have much recourse. Tough rowing. I can't imagine. Makes me thankful, even when I'm stuck in the mud.

KSG_Standard likes this.
  15. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Sweet!! Only about 30-40 more Septembers and I’ll finally get a little peace and quiet.

16. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

This too shall pass Pop.

Almost every company I deal with extended me offers of relief due to Irma and I wasn’t even affected (so naturally I didn’t take them up on their generosity). Also after disasters the feds usually have programs to help small businesses through things just like what you’re going through. Hopefully you’ll find some relief to get you through the upcoming rough patches.

17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I hope that for all the ones KSG is talking about. Hope they're back stronger than before.

I just gotta trudge through.
    I should be good. I've got 30 years practice! :laugh2: :laugh2:

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'm willing to bet you've built a loyal base on your own over those years, Pops. Say what they will about us Texans, we're loyal.

Pop1655 likes this.
  19. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

Next we'll be seein' dem mammy-nuns an' scoffin' up da mashed putatoes.....:cheers:

CRobbins likes this.
  20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Yep. I'm truly blessed there.
    Lots of good friends.
    This sounds pretty strange, but we've got more than one jar of ashes spread out back by the river. I guess that's the ultimate compliment, I don't know.