It's been 4 years...now what do you REALLY think of the BFG

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by CivoLee, Jul 30, 2011.

1. CivoLee

CivoLee Senior Member

I remember when the Les Paul BFG was released...it's definitely a very polarizing design, but it seemed like there were many more on the hate side of the love-hate equation. Many liked the P90/Burstbucker 3 pickup configuration but were turned off by the finish (or lack thereof) and others felt Gibson was overcharging for an unfinished guitar, arguing that one could just drop a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat into the neck of a "regular" Paul for the same sounds.

Then Gary Moore took a liking to the instrument, so Gibson finish it in his signature Lemon Burst color and the model gains some more fans/acceptance. Today, it seems like the BFG retains something of a cult following, seeing as Gibson continue to release the guitar as limited/special editions.

So has your opinion changed at all since it first appeared? Was it an underrated brave new experiment or a bad idea in the first place? Personally, I loved the BFG but didn't like that it had no inlays (although, that could be solved). The Trans Gold finished model looked so awesome...

2. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Still love mine, even if it's been apart for three years. :(

3. Ob Com

Ob Com Senior Member

i really like them (apart from the awful woodend knobs)- they are really light, and if you tap them they sound hollowish.

P90/BB3 is a rocking combo!

the ebony with trem is very tempting

mgenet likes this.
  4. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

They're nice, and lightweight but not for everyone.

5. tvr

tvr Senior Member

I love mine....picked it up a few months ago as a "beater"" while I finished a 56 Replica I was putting together, for when I didnt want to drag my Custom BB around....Ironically the BB is for sale, and the BFG is staying...Nice enough to want to play to play it all night, but not so nice your afraid to take it everywhere.......I am one of those that LOVES the sound, but HATE the look....but, that is something I change with a burst and refinish......for the money, you can't beat them....just dont let your friends see you playing one :)

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

It still wouldn't be my choice for a Les Paul even though I admired GMoore very much!

7. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

they are an ugly duckling, but they play well, they are light and have a good sound to them at a reasonable price.

EasyAce and River like this.
  8. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

Want a blue one :wow:

I didn't like them at first but changed my mind after I played a few. I love the pickup combo but would rewire it to 50's wiring with paper in oil caps. The kill switch does nothing for me so I would kill it :D

9. River

River Senior Member

You just described my ideal Les Paul! :thumb:

If I didn't already have a guitar that fit the bill, I'd be on the hunt for one. Ugly (within reason) doesn't bother me much. Keeps prices down, tone up.

10. roscoenyc

roscoenyc Senior Member

I want a GM BFG.

11. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Um... at a first glance I will admit I did not like it much.

However...

Currently I like the guitar. I think they are nifty, and a humbucker + soapbar seems like a wonderful combination of tones.

The simplicity of the design is also very nice.

12. jfm07

jfm07 Senior Member

The concept seems to eliminate all the tone robbing components of the other LPs, i.e. thick nitro finish, muddy neck pup, plastic hardware and HB pup cover. All you'd need to do is drop the tailpiece, top wrap some wound nickel and you'd have the ultimate LP tone monster at a killer price. :cool:

While I'm only half kidding, I'd agree that maybe two tone knobs instead of a kill switch and 50's wiring might've made it even sweeter ... provided you liked the look. But it's really not a bad idea.

Kinda' cool
    [​IMG]

Chris and ext1jdh like this.
  13. Old-Bugga

Old-Bugga Junior Member

I have one and like it. I may be wrong, however, does anyone else think that the BFG was a GREAT way for Gibson to use up bodies/necks that may have been cosmetic seconds? Mine has what looks like it could have been a missing piece just at the neck pocket on the top.

So...instead of a worthless damaged body/neck, you get a second chance at a finished guitar via a BFG?

14. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Um... it is always possible. However I don't think so. They have regular models to do that for, why bother making the BFG special :laugh2:

Pics of the damage you're describing?

15. RLee

RLee Senior Member

That was my take as well -- I liked everything about it but found the lack of inlays odd-looking, but I could get used to that I think, if it was a great player. I always thought it would be a fun project to take a BFG and do some custom contouring to turn it into a pseudo-Lifeson.

16. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have sufficient funds for a Gator in a few weeks.

jfm07 likes this.
  17. Randy K

Randy K Senior Member

I picked up a BFG tremolo and dropped in a Floyd Rose in place of the Schaller trem (thanks Joesatch!). I just got it back from my luthier who installed the FR nut as well and now I've got a fantastic playing and sounding Floyd Paul for under $1500. I love the pickup combination, the guitar feels great and is extremely resonant - I guess it's the weight relieved body but it sings and sustains incredibly well. I dig the look too. A great guitar by any measure IMO.

18. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

it's chambered, not weight relieved (afaik). There's a lot more wood that they hack out of it.

19. Randy K

Randy K Senior Member

You're correct - I used the wrong term.

20. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

i like the BFG since it came out. It has everything you need, no frills or a "muddy" neck on it...don't like very much the nitro finish on the neck :shock:

I also think that P90/BB*#3 couplet is a very good PU configuration for a Les Paul..

I'd love to own one in Black or Silverburst, but I hate tonal chambers...