It is time to stop buying... and play

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Mockbel, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Malikon

Malikon V.I.P. Member

The mustang 1 isn't big, and it's light.

headphone amps?

I'd rather play unplugged at night.

....actually that's exactly what I do anyway, play unplugged. It's 'practice' not a gig.

2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I would still prefer to hear something when I practice:)

3. Malikon

Malikon V.I.P. Member

sure sure,...different strokes different folks. Headphone amps just don't sound good.

the OP is about not worrying about buying stuff and just playing. ..I was just agreeing with the OP and suggesting the 'just play' part instead of the 'buy more stuff' part.

Surely you see the humor in going, "I need to not buy more stuff and just play,..now help me decide what to buy next to help me play." :laugh2:

if people really want to play, they just play. You don't need the best guitars and amps and picks and pedals,..you'll play whatever is laying around just to get the joy of playing.

ime.

anyway,..headphones amps kind of sound like crap. "Air" is part of the sound. The soundwaves need to be able to expand out of the speaker. Tiny speakers pressed against your ear always make guitar sound pretty bad. Small and plinky and fizzy.

4. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I haven't bought a new guitar for a while now. Cant think of anything im really gassing for at the moment? Guess its time to start playing for me too???
    :jam:

5. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you could check out a virtual amp. GarageBand is free and will do the trick. You can still use your pedals if you want too.

Android has similar stuff too i suspect.

NewDayHappy, Pop1655 and Mockbel like this.
  6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

This one deserves a try.. but.. I would plug the guitar to the iPhone through the single jack in iPhone.. where to plug the headphones ??

7. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

I used to use a Korg Pandora. It was a decent headphone unit. Lots of gizmos to play with. Dialed in a nice crunchy sound.

Now my Orange Tiny Terror sounds pretty good at quiet to normal home volumes.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

You'd use an iRig or similar. There are a few different versions at different price points, but they're software agnostic so you jut buy one once and can use it for multiple apps and devices.

I have the iRig and iRig 2.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/shop/
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xirig+.TRS0&_nkw=irig+&_sacat=0

Some of the first edition iRig (first version) devices on eBay may be counterfeit. I have three, two are counterfeit from China, one is legit. They all work, it's just an analog device, nothing fancy.

The iRig2 would be much harder to counterfeit I'm sure.

US$2.84 - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=381995207756

It might be fake, I'm not sure, but I'm sure it works all the same.

9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Cool.. however I still see the vox am plug is more simple.. again I am in a very limited market.. whatever I find I will buy

Howard2k likes this.
  10. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Boss Katana Mini.
    $100, battery powered, very portable, sounds great and is very quiet.

11. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Just checked the dealer.. vox amplug metal and classic rock are available.. i will pass by and check them.. most probably i will get one..

Pop1655 likes this.
  12. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

Not much to argue with here. I found the headphone amps to be both cheap and sounded like shit. Just not worth the money or the cost of batteries to keep going, IMO. An inexpensive amp like the Mustang I or II would be the best way to go. Sounds good and can be used as a quiet bedroom amp,

Just play part.. yes.. indeed. Just play ya guitar. I can turn down the volume on my amp and not bother anyone around me and have fun. And to me that's what it's about, having fun.

And with that. I'm off to do some practicing and recording.

J...

13. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

my wife says this is solid advise :dunno: must be true

northernguitarguy likes this.
  14. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

oversized?

20170424_170348.jpg

Pop1655 likes this.
  15. RedSkwirrell

RedSkwirrell Senior Member

Bought my 2010 Ltd 'robot' five years after I last played.
    Was just too pretty not to.
    I actually have played her once or twice and she delivers much more than I could give her.

I still have a Custom; a Firebird; a Tele'; and a Strat; on my Jones list.
    Oh and a nice semi.
    But I won't ever play again.

If I break my arms in a car crash, have the nurse sit me in a chair and put the prettiest on my lap.
    (Or the nurse.., if she's a "naughty" nurse - can I say that anymore, or is it frowned upon these days? :D)

Buying.., playing.., all is well with the world.

16. bungle

bungle Senior Member

GAS is a funny thing.:hmm: The main thing is to play what you got instead of acquiring new gear. Anyone wanna buy a guitar?:rofl:My Low volume or headphone solution is my Blackstar HT1-R. IMG_1515.jpg :dude:

NewDayHappy and Malikon like this.
  17. Malikon

Malikon V.I.P. Member

18. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

i got me some big bottles for when my neighbours need some love :)

20170426_092258.jpg 20170616_175502.jpg

19. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I got the VOX Amplug Metal (The only available one I found used)... I tried it for 30 minutes.. it does the job very well... all I wanted was to take the guitar anywhere in house and play.. and I could.. I played at living room while all house was asleep :)

For the "Metal" one in particular, it is harsh and very difficult to get a real clean tone from it. However, for practice, I could lower guitar volume and tone as well as Gain and Tone on the VOX all way down.. that was a somehow acceptable clean.

My conclusion: It is very good in what it is intended for but it is not versatile at all. If you really want different sounds, you need to buy different versions, that's it !

20. staffy

staffy Senior Member

Go the Vox lead version , easy ,plenty of effects ,enough eq to f@ck around with, no hiss on mine at all, but each to his own I guess. I used to have the HT-1 on the boat with a Boss x 30 loop station but it was too much fucking around to set up and sometimes in rough seas the whole shooting match would get thrown off the table.Now in sloppy seas I just wedge myself into the drivers seat and whale away to my hearts consent.