ISO-free 2k urethane?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by failsafe306, Jan 2, 2018.

1. failsafe306

failsafe306 Senior Member

Although I have decided to use nitro on my first scratch build, I like the idea of a quick-curing, hard urethane finish, and I would really like to use 2k urethane on future builds. However, I spray at home, in my attached garage, in a neighborhood, and ISOs scare the hell out of me.

My question is, have any of you experts used one of the ISO-free 2 part urethanes our there? If not, do you suit up in a full on supplied air apparatus, or just put on a 3M half mask and go for it?

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I'm no pro, but I have sprayed a couple cans of SprayMax on a couple builds. I spray it outdoors with a half mask, safety glasses, and gloves. Long sleeves if I can stand it in the Texas weather. I have not tried the ISO free stuff.

failsafe306 likes this.
  3. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

Me too. Except I shot it inside with a tarp as a booth and used a Tyvex full suit. Exited the shop as soon as each coat was sprayed and set up a fan to circulate air from one window out the other one.
    IMG_0123.JPG

dickjonesify and failsafe306 like this.
  4. failsafe306

failsafe306 Senior Member

So this is strange. Mohawk has some 2k ISO free polyurethane listed on their site, but when you click on the icon, it says, “We aplogize but there are no compatible products available for the category at this time.”

I’d really be interested in trying it out. I’ll email them today and see if they still offer it.

5. cs51762

cs51762 Senior Member

You can call Phillip Pritchard at 828-261-0325, extension 1907. He can tell you everything you would ever want to know about our Mohawk and Behlen products.

dickjonesify likes this.