ISO - Epiphone Purple Flake Les Paul (Korean made)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Mark Josey, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Mark Josey

Mark Josey Junior Member

hey guys, I’m in search of a ~1996 Korean made Epi Les Paul in Purple Flake. Anyone have one in good shape that would be willing to part with it?

Sample image attached.

Thanks all,

Mark

Attached Files:

2. JDG

JDG Junior Member

That's similar to my 1997. Mine was the Gold Flake version with the Bigsby style vibrato. I know the Purple Flake is supposed to be harder to come by.

That guitar feels great, the neck is slim and fast on mine but the bigsby was a pain to string and had tuning issues. I ended up doing a lot of work to it, first I swapped the bigsby for a traditional stopbar. Then I upgraded electronics and added coil tapping pots, changed the pickups to a GFS Protube humbucker in the neck and a Dream 180 in the bridge. I added a Tusq nut and chrome grover tuners and since there were holes in the body I sanded it to bare wood (which was extremely time consuming) filled the holes and painted it satin finish vintage aqua. I recently ordered a red tortoise pick guard to replace the cream stock pickguard and replaced the cream pickup rings for chrome ones. I think of it as less of a Frankenstein and more of a Robocop.

I was tempted to stain it because the maple top was covered in birds-eye and flame but in the end I really wanted it a certain way. I figure if I change my mind I can always remove the finish with a heat gun and sand it. I didn't used a heat gun the first time because I feared that there were cracks in the top where I installed the stopbar studs and didn't want the cracks to get worse. It was fine though, the cracks were only in the finish. IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1612.JPG

3. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Mark,
    I've only ever seen one. It belonged to a (former?) member here on MLP named Glen. I don't remember his screen name ... maybe Monkeyboy. He worked for member BCRGreg at BCR Music & Sound. It had humbucker sized P 90's installed. It has been a few years.

4. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

I remember those from catalogs in the mid-90s..I was supposed to be paying attention in class instead.

My 96 Standard has a pretty slim neck and had terrible electronics from the factory.

If you get one, ditch the stock pickups and caps