Is this why a Vox AC30 is sooo bloody LOUD ?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by SirJackdeFuzz, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

I had a conversation with a seasoned pro muso a few days ago.

We talked about vintage amps, and i brought up the 'vintage non-master volume amp volume thing'.

He told me (bloke now well into his 50's), i have to remember that an AC30 is sooo loud (or just as loud as a Plexi) because it is basically "three amps in one".

HUH ?

WUT ?

Can anyone see where he might have gone with this type of statement ?
    Is there truth in this ? . . . i.e. did he just express him self incorrectly or is that just plain BS with zero understanding of amp circuits ?

I did not go any further into the subjet.
    I just said somehting like, "oh, OK, i did not know that", walked away and looked for the strongest coffee i could find. i was in a coffee shop at the time.

So, please help me to understand what he was trying to "educate" me in !

Because i am 100% confused now . . .

:)

2. donepearce

donepearce Banned

Yeah, when you hear this stuff, you should just back away slowly saying "OK, great.... gotta go"

2 people like this.
  3. SirJackdeFuzz

4. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

There is little real volume increase from 30 watts to 50 or even 100.

Then on top of that an original AC30 is probably running through Celestion Blues - a fairly efficient speaker (100db sensitivity), a plexi on the other hand would typically be running through Greenbacks (96db or so).

Also the spectrum of frequencies makes a big difference to how loud we perceive the sound of a rig.

5. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

A JTM45 is rated at 30W, and it is one freaking loud amp too.

I think an AC30 is loud because it is a 30W amp. It is easy to get the impression it is not as loud because it is not as big as a stack (though probably nearly as heavy as one!) but it definitely is one loud amp. I have no idea what the guy meant about the AC30 being 3 amps in one. Maybe because it is an amp with great distortion tones, a chimey amp, and a loud amp?

I learned that you don't buy a 30-40W amp if you are looking for a nice amp for around the house. At least not if you can't have the entire foundation shaking. A 5W amp can be loud - shoot, even my 1W Marshalls can be loud. 30W? Very loud.

Granted, some higher-powered amps do better at low volumes than others, but in general I find that if I am looking at a low volume application I get a low wattage amp if I don't intend to re-amp it. Otherwise the amp will see very limited use (though it will be fun when I can use it!)

David

1 person likes this.
  6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I have an AC30C2 with greenbacks. It is very loud. But, when cranked up it sings so nice. The guitar amp is an instrument in itself and some need to be pushed harder in order to perform. Nothing is as pleasing as a tube amp being driven hard and the natural distortion of the signal, especially when it rumbles your guts.

7. jerrypilot

jerrypilot Senior Member

Maybe he was referring to the fact that on a vintage AC30 you have , basically , three channels - Normal , Tremelo , and Top Boost - hence six inputs ? Those are loud amps : I saw Rory Gallagher use one in a fair sized hall without micing up when he was in Taste , probably 1970 - still sounded huge !

1 person likes this.
  8. SirJackdeFuzz

Thanks to everyone's input thusfar.

I think most is missing th epoint here.
    I do not care for the volums ishooo about an AC30.

What bothers me is, why does a pro muso say somehting as stupid as this "it is sooo loud, because it is bacically three amps in one".

THAT is what is sooo mind boggeling to me !

What the hell did he mean by that . . . i am not the greatest amp tesch in the world, but hell, even i know there is only one circuit in this amp, so what the F&%Kwas he smoking when he said that ?

9. SirJackdeFuzz

Maybe ! (?)

:hmm:

10. slagg

slagg Senior Member

It's sooo loud becouse it was made in England,and has 2 speakers..

11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The three amp in one is certainly not the reason why it is loud. Technically the plexi was 4 amps in one, but this just gives you tonal palette, not volume.

....second the backing away slowly. Sometimes you just get confirmation that stupidity is the most common element in the universe.

1 person likes this.
  12. kangaroo-in-a-shoe

kangaroo-in-a-shoe Junior Member

I could not be more jealous. I would literally give my left nut to see Rory live. Being a nineties baby is the pits :mad2:

13. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Member

Whatever, but i had a AC30 C2 and i had to sell it...Toooooooooo loud!
    The only place where i could really use/crank it to sound good/right were outdoor gigs - unmic´d....

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Senior Member

You should have asked him right away wtf he means by that(tactfully lol), not us after the fact :naughty:
    Sounds like he was referring to the 3 channels, and is possibly a bonehead.

15. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Inputs =\=Amps. The only amp I know of that is more than one amp in one is made by a builder around here and rhymes with "Lewd Dude". As I understand it, it has 2 completely separate paths and speakers and is blendable.
    That guy sounds like a retard, a bullshitter, or a retarded bullshitter. I don't see how even semantics could be tweaked to support his statement.