Is this Hondo II, is a good one ?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Daniel L, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Hi,
    There is a guy who want to sale me this Hondo II (LP), but is this is a good or great quality guitar ?
    for 150$
    Thank you ...see the images !

Attached Files:

• h5.JPG
      h5.JPG
      File size:
      39.5 KB
      Views:
    • h4.JPG
      h4.JPG
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
    • h3.JPG
      h3.JPG
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
    • h2.JPG
      h2.JPG
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
    • h1.JPG
      h1.JPG
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  2. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Are you pretty much a beginner level guitar player? This is an inexpensive guitar but I'm sure it's adequate to get you started and see how it goes. And welcome to MLP.

3. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Hi Slug_maine,
    No, i started play guitar a few years ago, but i do not know nothing about this guitar
    & according to you it seems that this guitar is for the beginners , well, it's good to know ...so, i think it's not for me !

Thanks to you, i will search for an Agile now !

4. Daniel L

Daniel L Junior Member

Hi Slug_maine,
    No, i started play guitar a few years ago, but i do not know nothing about this guitar
    & according to you it seems that this guitar is for the beginners , well, it's good to know ...so, i think it's not for me !

Thanks to you, i will search for an Agile now !

slug_maine likes this.
  5. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I would say an Agile is probably a better guitar.

That being said I've played a long time and I do have some cheap guitars over here that I enjoy.

wildhawk1 and slug_maine like this.
  6. geddy

geddy Senior Member

Hondo were not good when new. They were very budget in the UK.

7. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

No doubt, I've got a Squier Telecaster I paid $100 for, plays great.

Roxy13 likes this.
  8. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Do you have access to the guitar to try it? That's the best way to make a determination. Don't rule it out just because I referred to it as more of a beginners guitar. I have a Fender Squier that plays great that I paid less than $150 for.

9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Hondo was never great from what I saw - entry level only.

I had a go with a Hondo home done (belt sander) "fretless" bass once. That's right, frets mostly removed with a belt sander. It was worse than you'd think.

Welcome to the MLP btw ... :)

10. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Roxy13 likes this.
  11. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Very few quality Gibson style builds from Hondo. There are a few better set neck builds like the Professional series that are affordable.

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

13. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

$150 is too much. By $75.

Some patience on CL will get alot nicer for that money.

14. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

Agile' s are a good guitar. I had one for about a year, I sold it to make room for my Bacchus Gold Top.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Actually, most of their Strats were not particle board bodies, but Laminated Nato (while some were solid Ash), and the necks were Rock Maple, not Pine. And what you call "pot metal hardware" is exactly the same as what's been used on Epiphones for decades now without any issue.

To the OP, that is Hondo's entry level LP style model, so it is far from the best they had to offer.

To the others saying Hondos are garbage, I'll leave this (not a photo flame, real Maple):

H748 HS 4.jpg

El Greco and nigelthebald like this.
  16. Chilli

Chilli Senior Member

Too old and poor quality. A newer instrument would be better to learn on.

17. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

I had a Fame series from later on that was better made..a Van Halen red taped model.

But I took this first one apart and modded the snot out of it including replacing the neck with a Fender.

I cannot say they were all made that way, but mine was. I know because i was in it, I chipped the paint and modded some routes.

It was some lightweight laminated plywood kind of thing. Very soft and light. You are right in the sense that particle board would have at least have been more dense.

The neck could have been maple, but it was no Eastern Rock Maple, it didn't weigh a pound and still vibrated like paper. I know, I played it.

The wammy bar broke off in the bridge within days of getting it and the shop did a crap job drilling it out.

It's on Epi if they still use the same formula, I can't help that but it does make sense, as I said, it is cheap.

Lot's of threads in here of folks changing them out too.

That one was strictly entry level! I stand by that.

Whatever MCI or SLM did with the line in later years (this was early 80's) I cannot say. I never went back.

I told the truth from my experience with a Hondo, of course other's MMV. I'm glad you got a nice one.

I didn't know they existed till your post! Thanks for the education. :thumb:

Just please give my experience at least equal weight as I'm giving yours, considering you didn't even show the headstock....:D

18. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I see, it seems you are confusing particle board, plywood and laminates. They are all three very different things. Particle board is basically sawdust held together with glue and pressed into the shape of a board. Plywood is wood chips glued into a board, and a laminate is strips of solid wood layered and glued together. For example, many Japanese builders (and Hondo too) took the idea of a laminate and flipped it on its axis to create a cool effect seen here:

H758 MLC 2.jpg

As for the neck, I can't tell from your picture what headstock it has, but the truss rod cover suggests it's an older one, pre-1981. That was right around when they switched to Rock Maple, so you may be right about the neck.

I have a '93 Samick Strat copy that is basically unchanged from the Fame Strats that came before it; same laminated body, same hardware, same ceramic pickups, and I have no issues with it. In fact, I'm always impressed with how good the stock pickups sound; they're the only stock pickups I've ever kept in a guitar. And to be clear, I'm not some kid who has only played cheap guitars, my #1 is a Custom Shop SG.

Here's the headstock of that LP. Their high end LPs were essentially copies of Matsumoku and Tokai LPs at the time, but made in Korea. Really the first ever high-end Korean guitars.

H748 HS 2.jpg

El Greco and paruwi like this.