Is this a real Gibson Custom 1974 Reissue?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by flifl, Dec 6, 2017.

1. flifl

flifl Junior Member

What do you think about this one? --> https://reverb.com/item/6309183-gibson-les-paul-custom-reissue-1974-vos-2015-vintage-wine-red

Are these pick guards with that golden Plate a common thing? As the one shown on the Gibson Page doesn't show a pick guard like that. --> http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...974-Les-Paul-Custom-Reissue.aspx#LPC74VOWRGH1

Also the Serialnumber seems to be inked (which they do with the customs). But if I have a look at the Gibson Page of this guitar, the serial number seems to be pressed in. And the color of the switch dip is a yellow compared to the white on the gibson page.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated!

2. Farquad

Farquad Double Platinum Supporter

The inked serial numbers are accurate to what I have seen in the wild.
    Gibson may have put an early unit (or maybe even substituted a pic in (They've been known to put bad pics in before))

It looks legit from my perspective. You can probably find a real '74 20th anni for less though.

3. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

By golden plate are you referring to the Gibson logo on the pickguard? If so that is just a vinyl static sticker that come on just about every Custom Shop guitar. Sometimes they don't last long on showroom floors.

4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

With a little judicial shopping around you could find real 74 for half of what the first link is asking for a reissue.

5. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

so they actually made pancake body and volutes on the neck 'reissues'? Granted I don't like the 70's norlin era stuff so I tend to stay clear but TBH I didn't know they did make norlin era reissues complete with pancake bodies and a volute. If not, could be a fake. Not saying it is but my suspicions are up. Also the 'gibson' logo on the volute of the neck seems odd to me. As someone said the vinyl stickers can come from anything, and you can for sure take a switch plate back off of the TH/newer reissues.

Oh and yeah if you are after a norlin 70's guitar, just buy the real deal, it's cheaper than this reissue....

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Well, those were original features so of course they're going to be part of a RI.
    As well as the 3-piece neck, period correct logo and oversized headstock.

The 'pee yellow' tint to logo and binding is a bit much though.....but I think that was the case with the TH line too.

7. DanD

DanD Senior Member

The yellow binding was overdone throughout the TH line. :oops:

The OPs '74 is way overpriced. I've seen them 'new' marked as used on several dealer sites for 4K to move them on down the road.

Real '74s in mint condition are 2K less than the OPs reissue. :hmm:

The only reason I could see for buying a reissue '74 LPC is weight. I've seen a couple reissue '74s @ less than 9 pounds. Most '74 reissues are mid to upper 9 pound range.

You'd probably need both patience and vigilance to find an original '74 under 10 pounds in mint condition. :dunno:

8. DanD

DanD Senior Member

bluesondoor likes this.
  9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Thats about the only colour where the original matches the new in price

10. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yes this guitar is a real 1974 Custom Shop Reissue (2015). Yes it's a bit overpriced. I'm waiting for the 1977 reissue so i can laugh at that. There are many of these that are the original real deal '74s for less dough. Back in the early to mid '70s there are very few Les Pauls with full size humbuckers. A handful of Standards (until '75) and factory routed Deluxes, the only full size humbucker Les Paul was the Custom, and they made a lot of them. The reissue just made them more expensive. Good luck & happy hunting :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM
  11. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Love seeing these reissues, but the price is just insane.

Yes, it takes near the same amount of labor to build a ‘74 as a R9, fixed cost aside from materials are near equal (and that flamed maple block ain’t costing THAT much more), so on one hand they CAN justify charging high prices...BUT THE REASON R9s SELL IS BECAUSE BUYING THE REAL DEAL IS NOT IN MOST BUYERS BUDGETS.

The real deal is still relatively plentiful- I guarantee there are more originals than ‘74 reissues out there for sale. Could you argue the reissues are built to a higher standard- probably, but I’ll take the opposite side of that...any damn guitar that’s taken 43 years of use has demonstrated its quality. Norlin stuff is hit or miss, but 30 or 40 years of longevity has to show something - buy the real deal, bask in the knowledge your guitar may one day APPRECIATE in value and play it. Leave the reissues for those of us who can’t afford the real deal.

DanD likes this.