Is the Gibson used market struggling?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by emesem, Apr 16, 2018.

1. emesem

emesem Junior Member

Some good deals out there but you could be catching a falling knife. All the bad press is taking a toll it seems. Would have thought the opposite in that I think we may be later looking at this the "pre-bankruptcy" era as a pretty good one.

Just picked up a nice 2017 LP Classic in Sea Foam but was hoping to also unload an LP Studio (still very nice) as I cant justify having 2 Les Pauls but the Studio is proving difficult to move (there are tons of them out there!).

Over the last few months have been able to sell a few guitars fairly quickly (less than 1 week) but not this one.

2. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

There’s just a ton of LPs in the used market. A total buyer’s market. Has been for quite a while...and probably will be for quite a while longer, irrespective of Gibson’s bankruptcy fate.

73171, Oldskoolrob, Gtarzan81 and 4 others like this.
  3. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Once you accept the fact that YOUR guitar for sale is probably not that different than everyone else`s same model and it`s priced correctly, it should sell pretty quick.
    IMO a Les Paul Studio should not be more that $600 used and that is in pristine condition. Again, that is MY opinion.
    Look at ebay completed auctions and use that as your guide. Those prices were actually PAID for a similar guitar.
    Everyone thinks their guitar is special or they are not willing to take a hit on it. Everyone takes a hit. It`s just the nature of the beast.
    What you PAID for a guitar has no bearing on what it will sell for.

OP, this is NOT directed at you. It is just a general statement on what I see going on in the used Gibson world.
    Best of luck in your future sales.

4. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

Apart Reverb.com, that still has ridiculous high prices, market seems pretty much as last year to me. I keep seeing guitars rolling quite fast, if they have proper prices.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

I can support that opinion. A couple of years ago, I sold a gloss 2009 Studio for $625 with a Gibson gig bag from a Tribute (I kept the Studio's hard case for the Tribute to live in).

The guy didn't ask any questions you might expect from someone who was looking to play it himself, and he wasn't at all concerned about the case situation.

After the deal was done and the guitar and cash had traded hands, I said, "I'm just curious, are you planning to flip this?" and he nodded and sheepishly said, "yeah." I just responded, "good luck."

kensh999, cherrysunburst00 and endial like this.
  6. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Like water always finds it`s level, so do the price of guitars.

7. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Ohio seems to be a slow market. I picked up my Traditional for a lower price than I think it should have been able to sell for. And I watched it a few weeks on CL before I even called the seller.

I've seen a couple that are minty and quite pretty that have been sitting more than 6 months now. Do you guys think $1400-1500 is too much for a 2 year old Trad that is close to new condition?

8. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

I don't think so. Seems fair.

cherrysunburst00 and Roxy13 like this.
  9. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

To me as well. And yet they just sit.

cherrysunburst00 and endial like this.
  10. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Inventory exceeds demand... market factors at work. you would think it would be a no brainer to buy a mint 2yo trad for 1500 vice the cost of a new one... :dunno:

cherrysunburst00, judson and Roxy13 like this.
  11. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

The market seems over-saturated with certain models, the R9 being one of them. Used prices have typically been the most reasonable here in the MLP classifieds (at least from regular members, not noobs parachuting in just to sell gear), but now I'm seeing asking prices on sites such as Reverb and even EBay creeping down to more realistic levels as well. Perhaps the glut of reissues that Gibson pumped out over the last five years or so have tilted things further in an already buyer-friendly market.

Pappy58 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  12. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Just sold my last Gibson (2013 50's Trib SG) on the local classifieds. It was up for about 3 days. I did undercut the others that had similar offerings by a small margin but i still made money. It paid for a new Japanese addition.

13. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

Well, one of them somewhere will have a new home by the end of the year, anyway. :)

cherrysunburst00 and Roxy13 like this.
  14. judson

judson Senior Member

vintage is moving up by noticeable amounts, i have been watching 50's to 70's for about 2 years for LP's , Firebirds, Melody Makers & LP Juniors and it is full steam ahead and rolling.

i think the 80's to early 90's are also doing well for the above models.

i dont watch for anything else so i cant say

15. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

One thing I find fascinating: Keep your eye on the 2018s, especially Custom Shop stuff. Guitars that are essentially as close to new as you can get are already hitting the used market at big-time discounts. Makes me wonder if Gibson's financial woes are dragging down their value.

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

That also makes you question the quality of the 2018`s.
    If they are so good why are they being dumped so quick?

17. hextall27

hextall27 Junior Member

True vintage will always gain value but with easy financing it's easier to buy new than pony up cash for used. That's the biggest impact on used market right now I see.

18. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

I find a lot of guitars for sale are either common (everyone's got one or one like it) or undesirable (nothing that special). Good guitars are still moving. That said, there aren't that many good guitars out there. Because of the market, i think a lot of people are sitting on them and don't want to sell. A lot of the stuff I see for sale is the same old crap, over and over, and it don't sell!

19. scalibur

scalibur Senior Member

Most local buyers are only interested in flippable prices for the most part.
    Take Ebay completed listings for the same model. Then take off a 7% fee and then deduct the time
    of shipping and consider that your not selling to the whole US or world, but just locally.
    Then an Ebay guitar that sells for $800 might get you $600 locally for a buyer that actually
    wants to play it. $500 might appeal to a flipper.

20. Harley90

Harley90 Senior Member

I have bought and sold many guitars since the late 70's, heavy epay since there was one(not any more), reverb since the beginning as well. Guitars priced right sell (5-10% or so below mkt) very quick BUT colors are a bit important. Blacks, Greens and Blues tend to take while, White can (color is guitar dependent) Amber, Reds, Bursts tend to move fastest...again the secret is be a little below market, charge low for shipping if you charge at all. Papers for some and a correct case can be the difference for a lot of folks. I also usually don't charge for Paypal fees either, lost a few sales to that........Your profit is made when you buy a guitar, if your intent is to re sell it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018