Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by cristi tanasescu, Jan 23, 2014.
yes or no? i have been soldering for the last couple of hours, is this bad?
It is bad if you inhale.
Depends on what you mean by dangerous, to your health i would think no.
(unless you're doing it in your underwear, then you're on you're own)
Depends on if you consider snorting lead oxide bad.
Safe Soldering Checklist - For Dummies
no but stupidity is
only if its still pluged an switched on
Not saying its the most healthiest thing to do, But couple hrs of noodling/practicing vs people who do it for 8-10 hrs as day job?
If you have to ask this question, than I would say yes.. For you..!
Solder melting temperatures will not turn metal into a gas that can be inhaled.
Touching the solder however will get lead on your hands so you should wash up afterwards. The smoke from soldering is the flux burning off, flux is a cleaning agent that prevent oxidization of the surfaces to be soldered. If these surfaces are allowed to oxidize, the solder will not bond properly or flow nicely. Most electronic solders have a rosin core flux embedded inside the solder itself. Generally speaking there are 3 types of flux for electronics with tin/lead solder; Rosin Core (R), Rosin Mildly Active (RMA) and Rosin Active (RA). These really aren't toxic to my recollection. For good soldering you should use eutectic solder (63/37) over the cheaper 60/40 solder. Never use RA flux, it stays active after heating and if not properly cleaned can eat away at the metals you soldered over time.
Not dangerous. There will be the occasional burn. Some people are allergic to some fluxes. That's about it.
Yes, I burned my tongue once.
I meant about inhaling that shit.
inhaling is bad, in the case of solder that is dropping hot ass molten solder on yourself is very bad M'KAY. on a more serious note though, i suggest you wear a doctors mask, at least that's what i do
Thanks gor the answers
I was soldering for like 2 hours, but most of the time I was just sitting trying to do the wiring and so. I inhaled the fumes lets say about 6 times i guess it's not too bad, but I touched my mouth afterwards as a contemplating position
Let's see now...
What could possibly go wrong?
The only thing I can think of is if you are soldering something
that you tried to stick together with crazy glue first.
The crazy glue will vaporize and if you get the vapors in your
eyes and blink you will not be able to open your eyes back up.
Other than that.................
But dude can anything go wrong? Can i get a disease or something? The fumes got into me a couple of times and i touched the led then touched my lip..can i get something?
Its solder, not nerve gas you know. Unless you're the Canary.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scgdumZFTNw]The police Canary in a coalmine - YouTube[/ame]
You need to wash away those fumes with a gallon of vodka. You'll be fine afterwards.